Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Sign in to follow this  
samcantstandya

List changes who do we cut, trade or go after.

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I’m just laughing. Anb like Oliver.  Ffs

Yes we have all been laughing a lot this year but if he had the opportunities that Oliver was afforded you may see a different player.......that's all I'm saying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some wag said: ANB defined the new description "2 touch player"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Yes we have all been laughing a lot this year but if he had the opportunities that Oliver was afforded you may see a different player.......that's all I'm saying.

 

What do you mean? 

One is a top 5 talent for reasons that the other is not. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand where @Laughing Goat is coming from. We recruited ANB as an inside mid which is where he started his time as Melbourne. He racked up a lot of the football in his first few years at Casey. He was super competitive winning a ton of contested football. I remember him getting 30+ possession in games regularly. Came runner up in best and fairest 2016. Because of our midfield depth he developed more as a small HF. Since then he has been rotated through the middle of the ground at times

It is probably silly to compare him to Clayton as they just aren't the same style of player.

If we can develop or recruit better small F/HF's and not have to use guys like ANB (and to a lesser extent Hunt) then I don't see why ANB couldn't go back to being a mid and add to our midfield rotation more consistently.

I would prefer this to trying to play Salem there again. He's just too important with his ball use off half back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

What do you mean? 

One is a top 5 talent for reasons that the other is not. 

Gees Louise.....I didn't think it was that hard to understand....

All I am saying is that if ANB was given the opportunity & a good block of footy playing as a mid fielder, then maybe he might be a more valuable contributor, that's all.....Put him in the same position as Oliver or Viney & then make comparisons......

this is only my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to hear that Corey Wagner has signed for another year. We can cross him off the delisting names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 4:43 PM, Dee*ceiving said:

Clarrie is very good, but not A grade. Doesn't hit the scoreboard near enough and this year very few of his possessions lead to a scoring chain (could be said of everyone I know). 

Not in the class of Martin, Sidebottom, Danger, Fyfe, Neale, Cripps, Bont, etc. They are genuine A graders.  Not yet at least.

Cripps doesn't hit the scoreboard that much better. He kick 13.6. Oliver kicked 4. Those two are neck and neck for mine and every bit A graders. Bontempelli is a different player, doesn't get it as much although his touches are just as influential.

For the record, Bontempelli kicked 15 and averaged 26 disposals. Neale kicked 12. Sidebottom 10. 

I think Oliver is absolutely as good a player as Neale and Cripps.  He may not have the hurt factor of Bontempelli or Sidebottom, but I'd argue Sidebottom has better players around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 5:22 PM, Redleg said:

I actually don't assess him as a small forward, but rather as an AFL Player and to me he fumbles continually, drops marks, kicks and handballs poorly, as well as getting in the way of team mates . He is responsible for multiple turnovers and in modern football that is a no no. On the plus side, he as great endurance. Unfortunately,  his weaknesses far outweigh his asset of excellent fitness and I would be moving him on. 

I'd keep him, because you can't delist everyone and there are amazingly many others I'd let go of before him.

He needs a very defined and simple role that utilises his skill set. I'd stick him on a wing and play run-with-roles, and link up play. But the message would be 'keep it simple and really use your running asset to your advantage'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A F said:

Cripps doesn't hit the scoreboard that much better. He kick 13.6. Oliver kicked 4. Those two are neck and neck for mine and every bit A graders. Bontempelli is a different player, doesn't get it as much although his touches are just as influential.

For the record, Bontempelli kicked 15 and averaged 26 disposals. Neale kicked 12. Sidebottom 10. 

I think Oliver is absolutely as good a player as Neale and Cripps.  He may not have the hurt factor of Bontempelli or Sidebottom, but I'd argue Sidebottom has better players around him.

I think Oliver can become every bit as good as Neale and Cripps, but i dont think he is there yet, not far away, but not there yet. Clarry will be better when he gets the balance right in his game and will be better when the team functions well.. like a team. see last year v This year. 

But he has had an outstanding start to his career, and he is our elite midfielder, we need another to go with him and Max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

I think Oliver can become every bit as good as Neale and Cripps, but i dont think he is there yet, not far away, but not there yet. Clarry will be better when he gets the balance right in his game and will be better when the team functions well.. like a team. see last year v This year. 

But he has had an outstanding start to his career, and he is our elite midfielder, we need another to go with him and Max.

At the end of 2017, Cripps was ahead of Oliver. At the end of 2018, Oliver was ahead of Cripps. At the end of 2019, both had incredibly consistent seasons.

I'm not saying Oliver can't get better, he definitely can, but in my book, he's every bit as good as many on the list I quoted.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

As some wag said: ANB defined the new description "2 touch player"

But it was the best "2 touch game" since Robert Klomp won a rank arena.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Oliver is quite on the level of the guns mentioned above. his best certainly matches them but i felt like he never really hit that this season, for whatever reason. 

an absolute gun though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A F said:

I'd keep him, because you can't delist everyone and there are amazingly many others I'd let go of before him.

He needs a very defined and simple role that utilises his skill set. I'd stick him on a wing and play run-with-roles, and link up play. But the message would be 'keep it simple and really use your running asset to your advantage'.

So you have no problem with the fumbles and turnovers? They are the main cause of opposition goals as we saw this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Redleg said:

So you have no problem with the fumbles and turnovers? They are the main cause of opposition goals as we saw this year.

You're a harsh man Red and have made your point many times.  The kid gives his all but sadly has some important weaknesses in his game.  Effort isn't one of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

You're a harsh man Red and have made your point many times.  The kid gives his all but sadly has some important weaknesses in his game.  Effort isn't one of them.

Agree with all of that, including my being harsh, which has probably been brought on by following a perennially poor footy team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Gees Louise.....I didn't think it was that hard to understand....

All I am saying is that if ANB was given the opportunity & a good block of footy playing as a mid fielder, then maybe he might be a more valuable contributor, that's all.....Put him in the same position as Oliver or Viney & then make comparisons......

this is only my opinion.

He fumbles under pressure.
He gathers and holds the ball in a kicking position and blind turns in to traffic.
He slips away from tackles when he's in a vulnerable position.

That's 3 things you absolutely do no want in a midfielder.

What he does do well is run his backside off contest to contest, which makes him an up the ground player not an inside 50 player. What position is that most beneficial to - a half forward flanker. What position does he play - a half forward flanker.

ANB doesn't need reinventing. All he needs to do is play the exact role he played in 2018 but to do it with more poise under pressure, better tackling technique and a slight but important work on forward craft when he finds himself forward. He went backwards big time this year mostly because the team went backwards and whilst I wouldn't bet on him being a long term quality player he doesn't need huge improvements to get back to a useful role player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A F said:

I'd keep him, because you can't delist everyone and there are amazingly many others I'd let go of before him.

He needs a very defined and simple role that utilises his skill set. I'd stick him on a wing and play run-with-roles, and link up play. But the message would be 'keep it simple and really use your running asset to your advantage'.

His decision making, tackling and poor aerial efforts would be found out even more on the wing.

Half forward is his role, it's exactly the same role Clarkson got Scully for this year. We just weren't good enough to have that role provide value this year, but the coaches putting him straight back in multiple times this year tells me they still think it's vital. He protects the midfield by closing off the corridor and he tires out back flankers chasing him around all day. Simple development coaching on how to tackle and how to win the ball and get out of pressure with simple decision making could go a long way to fixing his greatest weaknesses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He fumbles under pressure.
He gathers and holds the ball in a kicking position and blind turns in to traffic.
He slips away from tackles when he's in a vulnerable position.

That's 3 things you absolutely do no want in a midfielder.

What he does do well is run his backside off contest to contest, which makes him an up the ground player not an inside 50 player. What position is that most beneficial to - a half forward flanker. What position does he play - a half forward flanker.

ANB doesn't need reinventing. All he needs to do is play the exact role he played in 2018 but to do it with more poise under pressure, better tackling technique and a slight but important work on forward craft when he finds himself forward. He went backwards big time this year mostly because the team went backwards and whilst I wouldn't bet on him being a long term quality player he doesn't need huge improvements to get back to a useful role player.

Your right.....he doesn't need reinventing because he's actually not a HF. 

That's my point.

Time to move on DS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, A F said:

For the record, Bontempelli kicked 15 and averaged 26 disposals. Neale kicked 12. Sidebottom 10.

Don't know who or where it was (maybe WB vs GWS match) - the commentators said Bont had had 50+ shots at goal this year for that many goals. At least he's having that many shots, but gee it's a momentum killer (maybe i read it lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather back players on the list, but ANB does nothing for me. He is fumbly, misses tackles, doesn't go hard enough and is an average kick for goal. 

If he is displaced in the 22 next season then we are headed in the right direction. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wunders said:

Don't know who or where it was (maybe WB vs GWS match) - the commentators said Bont had had 50+ shots at goal this year for that many goals. At least he's having that many shots, but gee it's a momentum killer (maybe i read it lol).

Yep, he's kicked 15.27. Outrageously inaccurate, but to have that many shots on goal he's doing something right.

As for Oliver fumbling @Redleg I think we watch different games. Oliver's kicking efficiency could get a whole lot better, as could his two-way-running, but IMV he rarely fumbles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be good if we’d contemplate trying to recruit one or two blokes who could occasionally use their boots to propel the ball between the 2 large white poles, ideally at the Melbourne attacking end. 

Edited by Hampton 22
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A F said:

Yep, he's kicked 15.27. Outrageously inaccurate, but to have that many shots on goal he's doing something right.

As for Oliver fumbling @Redleg I think we watch different games. Oliver's kicking efficiency could get a whole lot better, as could his two-way-running, but IMV he rarely fumbles.

We have only 3 spots available maybe 4 not sure if we went in2 the season one senior player down???? Either way we need 2 make some smart calls otherwise as it stands we can only pick 1/2 players in the draft if we r committed 2 selecting Langdon & Tomlinson. Surely we need 2 make calls on JKH, Stretch , J Wagner & Vanners. Am I missing any other senior players. I believe ANB is resigned. Ok VDB has a contract but he & KK r no certainties 2 play again. If we delete or trade 3-4 more at least we can capitalise on early draft picks & 2nd pick in the pre season draft.

Edited by samcantstandya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, A F said:

Yep, he's kicked 15.27. Outrageously inaccurate, but to have that many shots on goal he's doing something right.

As for Oliver fumbling @Redleg I think we watch different games. Oliver's kicking efficiency could get a whole lot better, as could his two-way-running, but IMV he rarely fumbles.

Wrong poster AF, I posted about ANB fumbling not Oliver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    QUEENS BIRTHDAY BLOCKBUSTER by Bananabender

    A little known fact for Victorians is that Queenslanders don’t celebrate the Queen's Birthday in June but rather in October. The scheduled date on this year’s calendar is 5 October, 2020. However, I have a suggestion for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and that is to move the date forward a month and a half to this Saturday so that the coming clash of traditional rivals, Melbourne and Collingwood, continues a longstanding tradition of our game — the Queen’s Birthday Blockbuster. Her Majesty w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING 2.0 by George on the Outer

    Once again the banks of Adelaide’s Torrens River witnessed the Melbourne Football Club handing out another on-field thumping to its opponent. This time the hapless victim was North Melbourne and given it was only the club’s second win against them since 2007, it was a very satisfying outcome. The Demons got off to a slow start once again, looking listless from their four day break, a situation that wasn’t helped by Sam Weideman and Christian Petracca missing easy set shots. At the first bre

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...