Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

List changes who do we cut, trade or go after.

samcantstandya

Tory Dickson from the Dogs is a UFA. Most accurate player in history. Was shuffled out of the team and missed the final. Josh bruce next year should put him very much on the outer. Could be a decent 3rd tall lead up forward if he's still got it in him at 32 next year. Kicked 24 from 17 games. If you're still playing well, age shouldn't be a barrier. He certainly wouldn't be starved of opportunities with our inside 50's.

Give him two years?

(We really shouldnt be having this conversation, when the accurate Sam Lloyd would've been worth recruiting to the Dees the year before)

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, samcantstandya said:

Better options out there. I'd prefer the draft.

Better options that we're probably not in the race for. Varcoe is an improvement on ANB, JKH, Wagner and any of our mid-late pick new draftees that are 2 games from being dropped. Varcoe with his pace and skill, even at his age, is a genuine upgrade on half the list.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

Better options that we're probably not in the race for. Varcoe is an improvement on ANB, JKH, Wagner and any of our mid-late pick new draftees that are 2 games from being dropped. Varcoe with his pace and skill, even at his age, is a genuine upgrade on half the list.

Unbelievably sad, but true.

• Like 2

My thoughts on the list and what they need to achieve over the pre-season. 

1. May needs to get his body ready for the rigors of professional footy.

2. Jones needs to learn to hit targets going inside 50 and demonstrate some defensive intensity. Otherwise he won’t get anywhere near 300 games as he will be at Casey.

3. Salem needs to show more urgency in defense.

4. Harmes needs to continue working on his versatility. He’s our one mid who can play in other spots.

5. Petracca needs to work on his goal kicking. And his gut running if he’s going to play mid.

7. Viney needs a pre-season (sounds like a broken record) and a role in 2020. (Either run with player or defensive forward role)

8. Lever needs to work on his touch and tidy his kicking up.

9. Spargo needs to work on his physicality. If a defensive forward can’t stick a tackle he is useless to us. Speed and kicking penetration should also be areas of focus for Charlie.

10. Brayshaw needs to continue working on his two way running. If he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to work on his ability to hit targets by foot.

11. Gawn needs to work on his goal kicking. I’m a believer that the Gawn/Preuss experiment can work with a fitter Preuss. I’d love to see Max play more forward.

12. Bedford needs to insert himself into games more. He needs to find a way to get involved more, either through his tackling or by playing higher up the ground.

13. Oliver needs to learn to put the ball under his arm and break the lines. You be responsible for ball movement. Be the man instead of giving off the dinky 2 meter handball to a teammate in trouble. Only then will he take his game to a Cripps/Bont level.

14. Hibberd needs to be better defensively, and find that yard of pace he had in 2017. This game passes you by very quickly.

15. Stretch needs to learn to be a momentum driver, not a momentum killer. When Billy gets it, he stops, he props, he moves sidewards, he looks behind him. He needs to get it, use his speed and take more risks.

16. KK needs to play. We can’t afford to carry 3-4 blokes who play 2 games between them in 2020. Our depth isn’t good enough to cover it.

17. Frosty needs to do some meditation. If he can show some calmness and composure when he has the footy in hand he can become a top notch defender.

18. Melksham needs to work on his tank so that he can spend more time going through the middle. He was a real impact player in there in a couple of games mid-year.

19. Hannan needs to re-gain confidence and start jumping at his marks again. He can be a rare commodity in our team in that he is a threat in the air, on the ground and he can apply defensive pressure inside 50.

21. Preuss needs to get super fit and work on his hands. Stop dropping marks you get your hands to, you big lug!

22. vandenBerg needs to get on the park. As I mentioned in another thread, avB was a barometer for us late last year in that his aggression set the tone for the rest of the boys. He’s not the classiest but he was sadly missed in 2019.

23. Jordon needs to put on some size. This kid showed a bit when played as an inside mid in the second half of the year with his left foot penetration and ability to win the footy. He just needs to develop a body that can compete at the next level.

25. T-Mac needs to find his elite running capabilities. I’m sure he played with something this year and it impacted his ability to blow his opponent up by running up and down the ground. I’d love to see him smashing marking contests again.

26. Weideman needs to work on his hands and mark those balls he gets his hands to. I also think he needs to impose himself on contests more by throwing his weight around and having a real belief that he can impact marking contests. These things come down to self-belief.

27. Nietschke needs to enjoy his pre-season. He is effectively starting his AFL career at base camp and can’t fall into the trap of trying to fast track things too quickly.

29. Hunt needs to work on his small forward craft. If he is not traded this period this is the only position I can see him playing long term in our team.

30. ANB needs to work towards becoming a one touch player. I know he is often fatigued when he approaches a footy due to his gut running but he just has to be cleaner.

31. Fritsch needs to work on doing the simple things well. This kid will make the AA Squad of 40 next year if he plays the whole year as a forward, but only if he kicks 45 - 20, and not 30 – 35.

32. Sparrow needs to work on his delivery by foot. He is tough, wins the footy, and has good breakaway speed. The thing that may hold him back is his kicking.

33. Oskar needs to work on his game craft. As a wingman, a position we sadly lack options in, he needs to work out how he can become involved in games for longer periods and not just drift in and out of matches. And he needs a tank. Burgess is going to be busy.

34. Hore needs to work on his decision making. Can he become a player we can rely on when he has the footy? As that third tall/intercept player, he needs to differentiate himself from Lever through his superior ball use. He is far from at that point yet.

More to follow.

Edited by Tough Kent
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:

2. Jones needs to learn to hit targets going inside 50 and demonstrate some defensive intensity. Otherwise he won’t get anywhere near 300 games as he will be at Casey.

4. Harmes needs to continue working on his versatility. He’s our one mid who can play in other spots.

5. Petracca needs to work on his goal kicking. And his gut running if he’s going to play mid.

7. Viney needs a pre-season (sounds like a broken record) and a role in 2020. (Either run with player or defensive forward role)

9. Spargo needs to work on his physicality. If a defensive forward can’t stick a tackle he is useless to us. Speed and kicking penetration should also be areas of focus for Charlie.

10. Brayshaw needs to continue working on his two way running. If he wants to take his game to the next level he needs to work on his ability to hit targets by foot.

11. Gawn needs to work on his goal kicking. I’m a believer that the Gawn/Preuss experiment can work with a fitter Preuss. I’d love to see Max play more forward.

12. Bedford needs to insert himself into games more. He needs to find a way to get involved more, either through his tackling or by playing higher up the ground.

13. Oliver needs to learn to put the ball under his arm and break the lines. You be responsible for ball movement. Be the man instead of giving off the dinky 2 meter handball to a teammate in trouble. Only then will he take his game to a Cripps/Bont level.

14. Hibberd needs to be better defensively, and find that yard of pace he had in 2017. This game passes you by very quickly.

15. Stretch needs to learn to be a momentum driver, not a momentum killer. When Billy gets it, he stops, he props, he moves sidewards, he looks behind him. He needs to get it, use his speed and take more risks.

16. KK needs to play. We can’t afford to carry 3-4 blokes who play 2 games between them in 2020. Our depth isn’t good enough to cover it.

17. Frosty needs to do some meditation. If he can show some calmness and composure when he has the footy in hand he can become a top notch defender.

18. Melksham needs to work on his tank so that he can spend more time going through the middle. He was a real impact player in there in a couple of games mid-year.

19. Hannan needs to re-gain confidence and start jumping at his marks again. He can be a rare commodity in our team in that he is a threat in the air, on the ground and he can apply defensive pressure inside 50.

21. Preuss needs to get super fit and work on his hands. Stop dropping marks you get your hands to, you big lug!

22. vandenBerg needs to get on the park. As I mentioned in another thread, avB was a barometer for us late last year in that his aggression set the tone for the rest of the boys. He’s not the classiest but he was sadly missed in 2019.

23. Jordon needs to put on some size. This kid showed a bit when played as an inside mid in the second half of the year with his left foot penetration and ability to win the footy. He just needs to develop a body that can compete at the next level.

25. T-Mac needs to find his elite running capabilities. I’m sure he played with something this year and it impacted his ability to blow his opponent up by running up and down the ground. I’d love to see him smashing marking contests again.

26. Weideman needs to work on his hands and mark those balls he gets his hands to. I also think he needs to impose himself on contests more by throwing his weight around and having a real belief that he can impact marking contests. These things come down to self-belief.

More to follow.

Fantastic analysis. There is a lot more to coaching than running drills. I would add many need to work on skills on the opposite side of their body. Viney to look at how Smith has thrived without the Captaincy and become even more single minded in his specific role. Weid to look at Nick Riewolt tapes and lead up the ground. Oliver to learn some forward craft. Salem work on gaining an extra 10-15 metres with each disposal. In cricket terms again, Stretch gotta get off the back foot and be a front foot player. Players to follow Big Maxy lead an work on their deficiencies.Its up to them, not the coaches to be proficient in AFL elite skills. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Tory Dickson from the Dogs is a UFA. Most accurate player in history. Was shuffled out of the team and missed the final. Josh bruce next year should put him very much on the outer. Could be a decent 3rd tall lead up forward if he's still got it in him at 32 next year. Kicked 24 from 17 games. If you're still playing well, age shouldn't be a barrier. He certainly wouldn't be starved of opportunities with our inside 50's.

Give him two years?

(We really shouldnt be having this conversation, when the accurate Sam Lloyd would've been worth recruiting to the Dees the year before)

He is a short 3rd tall at 184 cms. At 32 this month, not for me.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

27. Nietschke needs to enjoy his pre-season. He is effectively starting his AFL career at base camp and can’t fall into the trap of trying to fast track things too quickly.

29. Hunt needs to work on his small forward craft. If he is not traded this period this is the only position I can see him playing long term in our team.

30. ANB needs to work towards becoming a one touch player. I know he is often fatigued when he approaches a footy due to his gut running but he just has to be cleaner.

31. Fritsch needs to work on doing the simple things well. This kid will make the AA Squad of 40 next year if he plays the whole year as a forward, but only if he kicks 45 - 20, and not 30 – 35.

32. Sparrow needs to work on his delivery by foot. He is tough, wins the footy, and has good breakaway speed. The thing that may hold him back is his kicking.

33. Oskar needs to work on his game craft. As a wingman, a position we sadly lack options in, he needs to work out how he can become involved in games for longer periods and not just drift in and out of matches. And he needs a tank. Burgess is going to be busy.

34. Hore needs to work on his decision making. Can he become a player we can rely on when he has the footy? As that third tall/intercept player, he needs to differentiate himself from Lever through his superior ball use. He is far from at that point yet.

More to follow.

Great analysis TK & appreciate your honest comments.....with a few of my own opinions if I may? Hope you don't mind....

Hunt, Brayshaw, Jones, Frosty Hibberd, Viney & Hore are all 'hack' kickers! Turn the ball over time & time again.......Kills us week in week out. Whats the point in having momentum, if you kick to the opposition?

I'd much rather have Salem & Stretch at 72% & 78% efficiency (season average) going to our boys than kicking to the opposition.

ANB is an on-baller & not a forward. Needs to play here as he's a natural ball-getter like Oliver.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Laughing Goat said:

Great analysis TK & appreciate your honest comments.....with a few of my own opinions if I may? Hope you don't mind....

Hunt, Brayshaw, Jones, Frosty Hibberd, Viney & Hore are all 'hack' kickers! Turn the ball over time & time again.......Kills us week in week out. Whats the point in having momentum, if you kick to the opposition?

I'd much rather have Salem & Stretch at 72% & 78% efficiency (season average) going to our boys than kicking to the opposition.

ANB is an on-baller & not a forward. Needs to play here as he's a natural ball-getter like Oliver.

Im sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure. If he stays on the list he should be completely transformed into a run with player, a genuine tagger, that's his future, apart from that he offers absolutely nothing.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Im sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure. If he stays on the list he should be completely transformed into a run with player, a genuine tagger, that's his future, apart from that he offers absolutely nothing.

I'm sorry too but just a very narrow minded comment & you obviously don't know your players very well. 

The problem with a lot of these players that are between numbers 15 & 25 on the list, is that when they go back to Casey & more often than not, they play key roles in the midfield & on the ball. Then when elevated into the seniors they play a completely different role & in ANB's case, small forward & are expected to perform immediately.

Also, my opinion & your opinion mean squat, because ANB played every game last year & has just signed a new 2 year deal, but hey, maybe your smarter than all the coaches, list managers, line coaches & the football department. II'm sure if you ask the playing group what they think of ANB & what he brings both on & off the field, it may actually surprise you.

That's one of the MFC's problems......they don't have the balls to play some durable players in different roles & want to persist with there golden haired favorites. Unfortunately Goodwin better bring a different plan next year or  we all know the outcome......

21 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

I'm sorry too but just a very narrow minded comment & you obviously don't know your players very well. 

The problem with a lot of these players that are between numbers 15 & 25 on the list, is that when they go back to Casey & more often than not, they play key roles in the midfield & on the ball. Then when elevated into the seniors they play a completely different role & in ANB's case, small forward & are expected to perform immediately.

Also, my opinion & your opinion mean squat, because ANB played every game last year & has just signed a new 2 year deal, but hey, maybe your smarter than all the coaches, list managers, line coaches & the football department. II'm sure if you ask the playing group what they think of ANB & what he brings both on & off the field, it may actually surprise you.

That's one of the MFC's problems......they don't have the balls to play some durable players in different roles & want to persist with there golden haired favorites. Unfortunately Goodwin better bring a different plan next year or  we all know the outcome......

I wasn't being insulting to you or ANB, i said it wasn't meant to be mean spirited but its my opinion. Dont question my knowledge of the game and the players just because i dared to have a different opinion to yours.. that's narrow minded right there.

He might be the worlds best clubman and worlds best bloke, i wasn't arguing that at all. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

I wasn't being insulting to you or ANB, i said it wasn't meant to be mean spirited but its my opinion. Dont question my knowledge of the game and the players just because i dared to have a different opinion to yours.. that's narrow minded right there.

He might be the worlds best clubman and worlds best bloke, i wasn't arguing that at all. 

Well maybe check your dialogue in your first paragraph because I don't see it as anything but insulting to ANB.....''I'm sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure.'

Say want you want to me as its all healthy discussion, but I do question your knowledge, especially on this player. I guess we all form opinions on players from the outside & again, that makes for healthy discussion & some disagreements...... but when you put your opinion out there you have to expect some readers questioning your thoughts.

I'm no different & don't expect people to agree with me either......

1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

Well maybe check your dialogue in your first paragraph because I don't see it as anything but insulting to ANB.....''I'm sorry but ANB is not a natural at anything, and I am not really being mean, he is just ordinary at nearly every facet of the game except running and pressure.'

Say want you want to me as its all healthy discussion, but I do question your knowledge, especially on this player. I guess we all form opinions on players from the outside & again, that makes for healthy discussion & some disagreements...... but when you put your opinion out there you have to expect some readers questioning your thoughts.

I'm no different & don't expect people to agree with me either......

No worries  it really wasn't insulting, it was honest, and i could have been far more if i was that way inclined, but im just being honest that i dont see ANB has a lot of qualities that are above ordinary or average and rest assured i do know footy and know what ANB offers (or doesn't) and if you were to canvass MFC supporters i reckon there would be a common response re: ANB.

Honestly happy though for the discussion and the respect your right to disagree, as you say they are opinions and if i put them out there i have to expect counter views. All good. 

• Like 3

Clarrie is very good, but not A grade. Doesn't hit the scoreboard near enough and this year very few of his possessions lead to a scoring chain (could be said of everyone I know). 

Not in the class of Martin, Sidebottom, Danger, Fyfe, Neale, Cripps, Bont, etc. They are genuine A graders.  Not yet at least.

1 hour ago, Demon3 said:

No worries  it really wasn't insulting, it was honest, and i could have been far more if i was that way inclined, but im just being honest that i dont see ANB has a lot of qualities that are above ordinary or average and rest assured i do know footy and know what ANB offers (or doesn't) and if you were to canvass MFC supporters i reckon there would be a common response re: ANB.

Honestly happy though for the discussion and the respect your right to disagree, as you say they are opinions and if i put them out there i have to expect counter views. All good. 

yeah understand Demon 3......fingers crossed he has a good 2020 wherever he plays.

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Rubbish. 

Unfortunately I don't get down to Melb much but I have been able to view the Casey games of the past & ANB, in my opinion, is one of the most natural on-ballers I've seen.  We assess him on his ability as a small forward & he will never get the opportunity to play on the ball whilst he's at Melb.

5 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Unfortunately I don't get down to Melb much but I have been able to view the Casey games of the past & ANB, in my opinion, is one of the most natural on-ballers I've seen.  We assess him on his ability as a small forward & he will never get the opportunity to play on the ball whilst he's at Melb.

I actually don't assess him as a small forward, but rather as an AFL Player and to me he fumbles continually, drops marks, kicks and handballs poorly, as well as getting in the way of team mates . He is responsible for multiple turnovers and in modern football that is a no no. On the plus side, he as great endurance. Unfortunately,  his weaknesses far outweigh his asset of excellent fitness and I would be moving him on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laughing Goat said:

I didn’t mind ANB in 2018 and I still love his two way running. He fills holes where they need filling and helps with our structure. I have really gone off him this year just because his disposal and set shot kicking have been so bad. We had the opening game with Port won if he had kicked the 2 sitters he missed in the first quarter. That became a big part of his game this year, momentum killing misses. 

You may be right that his natural position is midfield but he would have to compete with Clarry, Brayshaw, Viney, Harmes and Trac to get that spot. I have never noticed him being a particularly great extractor at AFL level but perhaps that is because that is not the role he gets. I would like to see him make it but to do so would mean significantly cleaning up both his field kicking and his set shot kicking. Having him in the forward line, or anywhere near goal is just a disaster ATM. A kicking efficiency of 57.6% is just not good enough, lets not even talk about his goal kicking efficiency, arghh.

Edited by FlashInThePan
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, Tough Kent said:

More to follow.

That's enough to fill the Titanic on it's maiden voyage TK...no more please!

joseph c phillips earth GIF