Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 14 vs Fremantle

Demonland

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

My fiancé calls him “that guy you always applaud and then abuse in the space of 5 seconds”. So true. 

His face palming moments are getting lower I think. He does more good than bad now. I certainly didn’t think that in 2019 Frost would be our most consistent defensive performer. Yes a lot of that has to do with injuries, but credit to him for getting better and better. 

Also guys I need to apologies because our shocking win loss ratio is my fault. Been slack getting the lucky charm along to matches. His first attendance of the year yesterday and boom. We win. 

Need to sign Frost up asap. Clubs will definitely be enquiring if not already.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

we don't have much luck when it comes to the signing window... the spreadsheet boys would have had him in at base plus say $100-150k giving around $250k at most. Another three or four decent games and you can probably add another $100k per annum.

Ironically it could seal Garlett's fate.

Edited by Diamond_Jim

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

we don't have much luck when it comes to the signing window... the spreadsheet boys would have had him in at base plus say $100-150k giving around $250k at most. Another three or four decent games and you can probably add another $100k per annum.

Ironically it could seal Garlett's fate.

AFL average salary is around 380k now, I would think the 'spreadsheet boys' had more than 250k penciled in for Frost.

Also, we have plenty of salary cap space. From a Herald Sun article in March:

"The recent trade period activity fuelled beliefs the Demons would go quiet in the player exchange market over the next year or two. But some clever list management means Melbourne has enough salary cap space to go selectively shopping again for another key target in October."

And I'm not sure how it's 'ironic' that you think a deal for Frost would seal Garlett's fate?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

AFL average salary is around 380k now, I would think the 'spreadsheet boys' had more than 250k penciled in for Frost.

Also, we have plenty of salary cap space. From a Herald Sun article in March:

"The recent trade period activity fuelled beliefs the Demons would go quiet in the player exchange market over the next year or two. But some clever list management means Melbourne has enough salary cap space to go selectively shopping again for another key target in October."

And I'm not sure how it's 'ironic' that you think a deal for Frost would seal Garlett's fate?

the median is far less

2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

the median is far less

Why would you use the median? Seems an inaccurate way to do it to me. I'm no maths genius though to be fair.

"The average player wage last season was $362,471, an increase of $10,000 on the previous year."

Source

Frost has been a pretty consistently best 22 picked player for us over the last 2 years, so I would suggest the club would have had his contract figured in at more than 250k. Just opinion though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Anyone else notice on the tv coverage Gerard Healey call Harmes "James Magner" just after he kicked the last quarter goal. What a [censored] wit 

I heard it too and thought I must have been mistaken but I’m glad you have reassured me I’m not going deaf. Magnet left the club about six years ago from memory. Healey gets paid enough not to make these dumb mistakes.

Edited by jane02
Edir
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Interesting that a few of the over the top positives have still not surfaced. I wonder how many wins it will take? Much better Sunday today! I would normally be off to Coburg today but family function prevents me. A win by the CD will complete a good weekend.

Ha,ha!  They have been waiting a while so it won't be long now!  Then we will see the "Told you so". 

Anyway, I generally ignore the 'OTT positives' and the 'negative nancy's' equally.  See their moniker and know exactly what will be said.  Rather boring and predictable.  I'm much more interested in views of posters with less entrenched and balanced views as nothing is ever as rosy as the 'OTT positives' want to pretend nor as bleak as the 'negative nancy's' proclaim.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Just watched the replay. 

ANB, Wagner, Jones and Mcdonald fumble the ball so much, often leading to turnover. Mcdonald got better as the day went on. But ANB is a serial fumbler. He really needs to iron that [censored] out of his game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Anyone else notice on the tv coverage Gerard Healey call Harmes "James Magner" just after he kicked the last quarter goal. What a [censored] wit 

Yep, so I wasn't hearing things.

Nothing against Magner, he was a player that tried hard and had a crack, but I think he would wish he was as good as Harmesy over the journey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, —coach— said:

I absolutely love Gawn but I don’t believe that we would be stuffed without him. In 2017 the facts are this:

- When Gawn played we won 53.8% of our games (7 wins/6 losses)

- When Gawn didn’t play, we won 55.5% of our games (5 wins/4 losses)

In 2017 injured against Geelong  early in the game without going into details and Richmond led till the last minutes.2 vital losses.

That is my opinion and you have yours. Thanks for your stats.

11 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Yep, so I wasn't hearing things.

Nothing against Magner, he was a player that tried hard and had a crack, but I think he would wish he was as good as Harmesy over the journey.

How long has he been gone 5 years?

34 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Why would you use the median? Seems an inaccurate way to do it to me. I'm no maths genius though to be fair.

"The average player wage last season was $362,471, an increase of $10,000 on the previous year."

Source

Frost has been a pretty consistently best 22 picked player for us over the last 2 years, so I would suggest the club would have had his contract figured in at more than 250k. Just opinion though.

Fair enough.. averages are skewed by the highs and lows whereas a median is the figure around which the greatest number of players are based.

The best figure would probably be median of players in the same game range.

I take the salary cap stories with a grain of salt. Every club has to pay a very high percentage of the salary cap so there is never that much room. It's more about front and back loading. In theory we should have been front loading the plus 25 years of age players in anticipation of needing room to pay the emerging stars.. which please please we have. My comment re Garlett was that if unplanned money needs to be found that is a source. The money men would have factored in a reasonable renewal salary for Jeffy.

The other unknown in the salary cap component is where Jones fits in for 2020.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Fair enough.. averages are skewed by the highs and lows whereas a median is the figure around which the greatest number of players are based.

The best figure would probably be median of players in the same game range.

I take the salary cap stories with a grain of salt. Every club has to pay a very high percentage of the salary cap so there is never that much room. It's more about front and back loading. In theory we should have been front loading the plus 25 years of age players in anticipation of needing room to pay the emerging stars.. which please please we have. My comment re Garlett was that if unplanned money needs to be found that is a source. The money men would have factored in a reasonable renewal salary for Jeffy.

The other unknown in the salary cap component is where Jones fits in for 2020.

Gotcha, makes total sense mate. From what I've found figures wise, that means he could be on 100k or he could be on 400k, so the released figures don't exactly help! Can't find figures in relation go games played/age etc. unfortunately.

Yep, agree on the salary cap stuff, we have that minimum % we have to pay, but the one thing I think Mahoney seems to nail is the contract situations, and we seem to be well known for front loading and back loading so I do believe the stories around about us having decent cap space this year, although the caveat will be that we'll need a bit for Oliver's next contract you would think.

We'll have Lewis off the books this year, so would think that will help a fair bit. Then, aside from Jones (whom I think will play on), we mainly have 'depth' players who will either be re-signed relatively cheaply or will make way for incoming draftees/trades.

Garlett is certainly an interesting one contract wise, really would be a 50/50 proposition as it stands, so I feel for the bloke. Apparently had a tough year personally last year, and this year he's playing for his career.

18 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Anyone tell me how I can copy this gif into other messaging apps?

I have several Freo people I wish to torment today. 

Edited by McQueen
All good, worked it out.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

We'll have Lewis off the books this year, so would think that will help a fair bit. Then, aside from Jones (whom I think will play on), we mainly have 'depth' players who will either be re-signed relatively cheaply or will make way for incoming draftees/trades.

Lewis is a good example of a known factor in the salary cap spreadsheet. His salary will be well and truly marked for elsewhere. Where it becomes difficult is dealing with the outliers which Frost could become.

Brayshaw was  a perfect example of such a player who went from a struggling possible trade/delist to a match winner in the space of 10-15 games and quite properly commanded a large but comparatively unexpected rise. Tom Mac Donald was not too dissimilar. That is what I meant by saying we are not having much luck with our contract renewal windows.

Anyway it's a good problem to have.

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Lewis is a good example of a known factor in the salary cap spreadsheet. His salary will be well and truly marked for elsewhere. Where it becomes difficult is dealing with the outliers which Frost could become.

I doubt Lewis is on much this season as it was likely  a frontloaded contract.

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Loved Gus' tackle on his little bro.  Brought him to ground, kept him there and won a free.

Gus: 1.  Andy: 0

Would have been just like in the backyard back home. Competitive boys. I wonder how many times poor Mum had to break things up when those Brayshaw boys were all growing up together!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thanks DD as one of his biggest supporters ( see my stunned posts when people called for his delisting  ), I am thrilled that he is doing so well. He can still make a blue or two on disposal, but he is saving us repeatedly now and with his pace and unpredictability, he is a nightmare for the opposition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Source

Because the mean can be skewed by a small number of outlier values - the median may be a better measure of "central tendency" in this case...

https://statistics.laerd.com/statistical-guides/measures-central-tendency-mean-mode-median.php

31 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Thanks DD as one of his biggest supporters ( see my stunned posts when people called for his delisting  ), I am thrilled that he is doing so well. He can still make a blue or two on disposal, but he is saving us repeatedly now and with his pace and unpredictability, he is a nightmare for the opposition.

I have been in the same boat as you mate regarding being a big supporter also. Those blunders are now limiting with each game and experience.

6 hours ago, binman said:

Agree. And on another day he gets 5 or 6 not 3.3 because he is usually an excellent kick  for goal. Terrific technique.

Has had a horrid run with injury and hopefully he can play out the season and build confidence and experience.

I was reflecting that ideally we would have both Smith's in the forward line. Both attack the ball in the air and on the ground and tackle fiercely and provide the sort of forward pressure we have sorely missed. 

I don't know about him being an excellent kick for goal. I think what he produced reflected his skill set.

3.3 and an out on the full.

33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I have been in the same boat as you mate regarding being a big supporter also. Those blunders are now limiting with each game and experience.

I’m with you blokes. 

Always a Frost supporter. 

However, the balls a bit like a hand grenade when he has it. He either gets rid of it successfully and destroys the enemy- or it blows up among his teammates 

Certain excitement either way!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2