Jump to content


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

Add 6 players and dispense with the whole rookies thing.  Make them full list players.

I year contracts as the clubs see fit too ... 2 year deals for the top 36 draft picks.  After that,  a player takes what he can get.  So lists of about 50 is my call.

We're looking at about an extra million per club per year but the whole process could be done incrementally.  The clubs & the AFL could find a way.

But we're dealing with an AFL that are poor custodians and they too often have got their eyes set on the $$$$'s.

Thats the problem the afl (Gill)looks at the bottom line not the game or players,if the  afl did we would rightfully have a tassie team

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have a friend who is a coach at Essendon. Can confirm this is one of the tactics they used. Another was his opponent streaming forward of the contest knowing Jones wouldn't/couldn't go with him. If we

If we review two players in similar stages of their careers at MFC, Jones and Lewis, and compare how we are reacting to the finish, or potential finish , to their careers, we appear to have different

Look, I value Nate Jones and respect the bloke. But he's never been more than just a good footballer. Having him amongst the club's greats on the basis on loyalty alone, sure, but if he's classified a

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Macca said:

Add 6 players and dispense with the whole rookies thing.  Make them full list players.

Just for info:

The only difference between a rookie and a full-list player is the length of the contract and the size of the pay packet.  Rookies can play AFL from day 1 without waiting to be upgraded for a LTI.  We have a 'combined' list of 47 players.  39 full-list (are allowed 40) and 8 rookies (have forgotten how many are allowed). 

 

I feel we have the depth in numbers just not sure the depth of ability is there.  Other clubs have as long a list of injuries as ours but suspect they have better quality depth eg Richmond, Pies.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Just for info:

The only difference between a rookie and a full-list player is the length of the contract and the size of the pay packet.  Rookies can play AFL from day 1 without waiting to be upgraded for a LTI.  We have a 'combined' list of 47 players.  39 full-list (are allowed 40) and 8 rookies (have forgotten how many are allowed). 

 

I feel we have the depth in numbers just not sure the depth of ability is there.  Other clubs have as long a list of injuries as ours but suspect they have better quality depth eg Richmond, Pies.

It's more about the overall and the greater good ... the extra players won't add to the quality either.  More so playing games from a squad perspective rather than a best 22

Gawn to play 18-19 games per year for instance.  Regardless of how good his form is. Not written in stone but as a real option. 

It's hard for even the best players to be at their best every week in today's footy so spelling a player for a week every now and again is not such a radical move.  So to do all that the clubs need bigger lists.  In some other sports around the world players are given good amounts of rest ... baseball pitchers,  soccer players,  NBA players,  running backs in the NFL etc etc.

AFL players in the veteran stage (Jones) was where this conversation originated.  Bigger lists allow clubs to keep the veterans around (in theory)

I was thinking it was a total of 44 so thanks for the correction on that LH.  So 52-53 is more the case then.  All full list players with various contracts.

Players are now required to run up to 15ks (or more) in an endurance/collision sport played on a weekly basis with loads more congestion these days.  It's any wonder we see so many injuries.

Edited by Macca
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sigil said:

They have made a change with Jonesey and I hope it keeps going well for the team.

24 disposals today and some really good kicks (and more kicks than handballs).

Still uses the ball better than a lot of his team mates.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sigil said:

They have made a change with Jonesey and I hope it keeps going well for the team.

24 disposals today and some really good kicks (and more kicks than handballs).

Importantly a few really good decisions going inside 50 in the first quarter. That's what you need from a captain, hope Viney took note.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

His best kick of the day was a lovely change of direction and hit up to Tommy Mc early in the 2nd who spilt a soda. I worry his legs aren't always getting him out of trouble, he doesn't spoil with any real technique and the lack of confidence to kick the penetrating kick to May on the switch just before half time was a worry. Overall though he looks capable enough to get another year as back flanker who might fall out of the side. He also had a crappy preseason, no reason with a better preseason with the team healthy around him he can't get better next year. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

His best kick of the day was a lovely change of direction and hit up to Tommy Mc early in the 2nd who spilt a soda. I worry his legs aren't always getting him out of trouble, he doesn't spoil with any real technique and the lack of confidence to kick the penetrating kick to May on the switch just before half time was a worry. Overall though he looks capable enough to get another year as back flanker who might fall out of the side. He also had a crappy preseason, no reason with a better preseason with the team healthy around him he can't get better next year. 

Sounds like 2/3 of our side DS!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have been a Jones fan and I really like the way he has slotted into Half Back. has played well there now in two games and if he has a full preseason next year well give him first option. I also thought Lewis into midfield was very good and he responded with a good first half!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been critical of Nathan for a long time. I'm on record as saying he shouldn't have played on in 2019, but today, besides a single errand handball, he was very good.

I hope we give him a decent send off in Round 22 against Sydney, because he certainly shouldn't play on next year. Make Gawn the captain and if he's up to it, give Jones a mentoring role in the FD.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I respectfully disagree.

Nathan Jones deserves at least 1 or even 2 more AFL seasons.

He should retire when he is ready to do so. It is important for club culture that we look after our veterans and treat them with the respect they deserve. Nathan Jones was the small glimmer of light during the dark days from 2008 until 2013.

We have a history of mistreating veterans. Such as James McDonald, Adem Yze, Cameron Bruce and even Brad Green.

James McDonald could of played over 300 games for the Demons and certainly Adem Yze could of too. Cameron Bruce could of played well over 250 games for us and Brad Green could of played another season or two.

I genuinely hope Nathan James plays over 300 games and beats David Neitz's games record.

I also hope Nathan Jones get a chance to play in a winning Melbourne Demons Premiership in either 2020 or 2021.

 

Nathan Jones truly deserves it. He is a legend of our club and deserves to be treated like one.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been really impressed with his game in the last 4 or so weeks since he has gone to the half back position. His kicking and decision making has been excellent.

He is quote attacking on often takes on the diagonal kick across the center lane that creates goal scoring  options. 

He also is quite calm with the ball in hand and prepared to hold onto it rather than just dish off which often just creates problems (hibbo does it a bit). Neat side step too.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones is a player who has adapted and improved his game in response to changing circumstances or evident deficiencies a number of times over his career, I wouldn't put it past him to use the coming preseason to really target particular points of his game to improve what he can offer in a new role.

With a clear plan over the preseason, I'd back him to still be of real, best-22 value next season. Certainly I think it would be a mistake to ditch him ealry, when he clearly wants to keep going and clearly is the type to accept a realistic appraisal of what it will take for him to be appearing at AFL level once the team is back in form.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, binman said:

I have been really impressed with his game in the last 4 or so weeks since he has gone to the half back position. His kicking and decision making has been excellent.

He is quote attacking on often takes on the diagonal kick across the center lane that creates goal scoring  options. 

He also is quite calm with the ball in hand and prepared to hold onto it rather than just dish off which often just creates problems (hibbo does it a bit). Neat side step too.

All good points Bin.  There was a critical intercept contested play in the match against the Dockers back of the square also where Jones found a side step through traffic and busted the game open through the middle.   Pretty sure it resulted in a goal and a slight cushion at the time for some breathing space.

Weighted averages from the last 3 rounds also confirm your observation about recent form...up 3% on last season's average score.  Might have found a bit of a niche at HB (allows Fritsch to go forward also?)...

image.png.e9ccbd68dc0f75648c6c13fd277a6117.png

*Number in parenthesis denotes number of matches played in this block.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jones could play for another year or two, maybe half forward flank. He is invested in the club and that is important for the other players to see! He is probably too slow to be played in the midfield or the back line now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Last month says, he stays on for 1 more year.

Lewis will be gone end of season and 2020 IMO will be Jones last year

Well you are likely to be close, as he doesn't look like playing more than 1-2 more years.

He will certainly play on next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well you are likely to be close, as he doesn't look like playing more than 1-2 more years.

He will certainly play on next year.

That's pretty much what I'm saying he's been good of late since they moved him off the wing.

Chunk is a warrior, I think many forget how he was almost a one man band in the pre Roos years

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Detouring a little, I really do think we could have used Bernie Vince on occations this year.  I know he lost some pace last year, but I think he really could have been used to very good effect in our forward line this season with his strength, footy smarts and good goal kicking.  It really does irritate me that the never really tried moving Bernie forward last season to se if it could have worked.  Perhaps we would have won a few more games by now and would still be chasing a remote chance of finals if he was still on our list this season. 

To me that highlights what a mistake it would be for Jones not to play next year.  Our list is pretty sparce of mature experienced players and if managed right, I think guys in this age bracket still have some significant things to conttibute.  Asides from half back, I think Jones could be used up forward (he's a pretty decient kick for goal) and would still be handy to use in bursts to keep another strong, big bodied midfeilder around the ball when necessary  (saw how handy Lewis was in that capacity).  Even Luke Hodge still seems to be able to keep a spot in a Brisbane side which is traveling pretty well this year and I think Hodge has a few years on Jones.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Detouring a little, I really do think we could have used Bernie Vince on occations this year.  I know he lost some pace last year, but I think he really could have been used to very good effect in our forward line this season with his strength, footy smarts and good goal kicking.  It really does irritate me that the never really tried moving Bernie forward last season to se if it could have worked.  Perhaps we would have won a few more games by now and would still be chasing a remote chance of finals if he was still on our list this season. 

To me that highlights what a mistake it would be for Jones not to play next year.  Our list is pretty sparce of mature experienced players and if managed right, I think guys in this age bracket still have some significant things to conttibute.  Asides from half back, I think Jones could be used up forward (he's a pretty decient kick for goal) and would still be handy to use in bursts to keep another strong, big bodied midfeilder around the ball when necessary  (saw how handy Lewis was in that capacity).  Even Luke Hodge still seems to be able to keep a spot in a Brisbane side which is traveling pretty well this year and I think Hodge has a few years on Jones.

Bernie was finished at the end of 2017

He went 1 season too long. As shownlast year he was absolutely cooked.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supreme Demon...  

"James McDonald could of played over 300 games for the Demons and certainly Adem Yze could of too. Cameron Bruce could of played well over 250 games for us and Brad Green could of played another season or two."

If you had written "could have" instead of "could of", you'd have made a really good point.

No offence. Just for credibility's sake. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 4:53 AM, Fanatique Demon said:

Supreme Demon...  

"James McDonald could of played over 300 games for the Demons and certainly Adem Yze could of too. Cameron Bruce could of played well over 250 games for us and Brad Green could of played another season or two."

If you had written "could have" instead of "could of", you'd have made a really good point.

No offence. Just for credibility's sake. 

Yze  didn't play well towards the end if he had of played 300 it would have been because the club gifted him games. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...