Changes v Collingwood

Chelly

1 hour ago, praha said:

They're a vile bunch at Pies land. In one post that I found among 7+ pages on Bigfooty, they are certain of a win. One post highlighted that both teams have lost to the same teams, and both have dealt with lower placed teams as they should. Same post acknowledged we a contested ball winning side and they will have a big challenge. 

The rest is a combination of cheese platter and snow jokes, mixed with the ignorant "they haven't beaten anyone", despite Collingwood having a similar (but not as good) record. Exhausting to read.

As opposed to  kraft singles and weekends in gaol.

Assuming Moore and Reid don't play, they have Grundy, Cox and Mihocek who are tall and can go forward.

We have Gawn, Oscar and maybe Smith who could go to them, plus whoever we bring in. Joel Smith is basically the same height as Mihocek. Frost is taller , quicker, more experienced and stronger than Joel.

It will be interesting to see how we go for it.

• Like 1

Watched some of the filth versus freo game and noticed that the filth turned the ball over quite a bit in 1st half but freo wern't able to take any advantage of it. They also like to pop it long to the full forward line. To me we have to apply a lot of pressure to their mids and they will stuff it up. Also must man up down the back for when they go forward. This made me think that using Harmes and or Fritch down back and bringing in another midfielder like Tyson or Stretch ( preferably Tyson ) to help negate their midfield.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nasher said:

I will say that I’d normally be inclined to a bias towards Weideman. Pedersen has had too many AFL games where he has been completely ineffective as a forward. If we had to choose between two tall forwards with a high chance of delivering nothing, I’d prefer it was the young one with a view to development.

Fair enough. I disagree with your view on Pedo v Weid up forward - I think Pedo is far more likely to contribute up forward, and has also experience the disadvantage of playing many AFL games for us up forward when we were completely rank. In addition, I think Pedo gives far more as a relief ruck than Weid (in the ruck and around the ground). I also think he's a much better insurance policy than Weid in case something goes wrong, like a Gawn injury or a key back injury/horror game where we need to move Tom back, but I understand where you're coming from.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Watched some of the filth versus freo game and noticed that the filth turned the ball over quite a bit in 1st half but freo wern't able to take any advantage of it. 

I hope nobody here is fearing the Pies after their weekends game.

Take out Fyfe and Neale and that Freo team was WAFL level.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 1

I seem to recall Harms having some great intercepts against the Dogs?

We're all forgetting we have some guns and as much as we're worrying about missing Lever and maybe Smith (notwithstanding we have some solid replacement options), I think Buckley et al will not be unperturbed by having to stop Brayshaw, Oliver, Hogan, Tmac, Viney, Melk, Fritsch, Spargo etc etc. I mean come on, we have some guns

Going to be a big game

Inlaws + wife all pies. Fortunately after R23 last year they did not mention the game or us missing out at all. They also don't eat porridge or Kraft singles and FIL (father in law) and BIL have serious taste in single malts and red so mayhaps they're closest Demons fans LOL

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, small but forward said:

And we get done for tanking...

We got done for NOT tanking!! If my memory serves me correctly. 

28 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

We got done for NOT tanking!! If my memory serves me correctly. 

I most certainly got well and truly "Tanked" after last round debacle in 2017!

• Like 1

I think Lever going down presents Goodwin with an opportunity to try something different, similar to when we had to put T-mac down forward (AKA best thing that ever happened to us). 

First Left Field Option:

Pederson at CHB. He is very good in the air, reads the ball well and contests. We have seen this at AFL and VFL level. He can't clunk them quite as well as Tmac, but he just needs get a fist in if playing down back. ALSO, he is a decent kick and makes reasonably good decisions. This means he would be more likely and able to pull the trigger on difficult but attacking kicks coming out of our backline compared to frost/smith (i.e. 45degree kick into the middle). Finally, he is an AFL vet and knows forward craft well, which could translate really nicely into shutting down key opposition players, as well as reading the play to come off his man and intercept. Tha man gives 110% despite being in and out of the side at the end of his career, he is a true servant of the club.

Second Left Field Option:

Weidermann as Lever replacement. I don't think weiderman is our best option, HOWEVER, it may be a worthwhile investment to developing him as a key player for future years. You could play him at CHB and let him learn by following around quality opposition players. Chances are he won't be a quality intercept player like Lever, but you never know. His skills are good though, and we know he is clean at ground level and is tall enough to go with likes of Cox. 

For teams like richmond with one tall i think Hunt and Wagner will be best. 

Edited by Lord Neville X Flash
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Do we need another tall defender this week?

My concern is Collingwood's midfield. The Bulldogs smashed us in clearances which is a huge worry and Collingwood have a better ruckman and midfielders.

I actually think we do better against teams with better ruckman as their midfielders aren't used to roving to opposition taps. The bulldogs knew Gawn was going to win every tap. Collingwood might think Grundy is a chance which will help us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Neville X Flash said:

I think Lever going down presents Goodwin with an opportunity to try something different, similar to when we had to put T-mac down forward (AKA best thing that ever happened to us). 

First Left Field Option:

Pederson at CHB. He is very good in the air, reads the ball well and contests. We have seen this at AFL and VFL level. He can't clunk them quite as well as Tmac, but he just needs get a fist in if playing down back. ALSO, he is a decent kick and makes reasonably good decisions. This means he would be more likely and able to pull the trigger on difficult but attacking kicks coming out of our backline compared to frost/smith (i.e. 45degree kick into the middle). Finally, he is an AFL vet and knows forward craft well, which could translate really nicely into shutting down key opposition players, as well as reading the play to come off his man and intercept. Tha man gives 110% despite being in and out of the side at the end of his career, he is a true servant of the club.

Second Left Field Option:

Weidermann as Lever replacement. I don't think weiderman is our best option, HOWEVER, it may be a worthwhile investment to developing him as a key player for future years. You could play him at CHB and let him learn by following around quality opposition players. Chances are he won't be a quality intercept player like Lever, but you never know. His skills are good though, and we know he is clean at ground level and is tall enough to go with likes of Cox. 

For teams like richmond with one tall i think Hunt and Wagner will be best. 

Not excited by those options interesting though they might be.

Strange though that Goody didn't try one of of them down back for a half on Sunday. Perfect place to experiment after they knew that they had lost Lever.

Smith, Wagner and Frost in that order is my best guess

4 hours ago, praha said:

They're a vile bunch at Pies land. In one post that I found among 7+ pages on Bigfooty, they are certain of a win. One post highlighted that both teams have lost to the same teams, and both have dealt with lower placed teams as they should. Same post acknowledged we a contested ball winning side and they will have a big challenge. 

The rest is a combination of cheese platter and snow jokes, mixed with the ignorant "they haven't beaten anyone", despite Collingwood having a similar (but not as good) record. Exhausting to read.

i hope you had a long hot shower with plenty of soap after that little trip to pie land, praha

i trust that will be your last trip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not excited by those options interesting though they might be.

Strange though that Goody didn't try one of of them down back for a half on Sunday. Perfect place to experiment after they knew that they had lost Lever.

Smith, Wagner and Frost in that order is my best guess

They are unconventional options no doubt. I think if we are making a tilt at the finals (dare i say the flag), we are going to have to explore multiple options over the next 12 weeks.

I think there is a chance Pederson could be extremely good at CHB. 

I agree with you that Smith could also be very well suited, if hes ready for AFL level.

Wagner is a good lock down defender, a tough ask for him to become an interception player, but he might be up to it.

Frost, unfortunately, is probably too much of a liability with his disposal and decision making. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, small but forward said:

And we get done for tanking...

We were found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute. Not quite so bad as tanking.

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

I hope nobody here is fearing the Pies after their weekends game.

Take out Fyfe and Neale and that Freo team was WAFL level.

I admit to being a little bit anxious …...

8 minutes ago, jane02 said:

I admit to being a little bit anxious …...

Anxious, well thats totally normal Jane. They are playing pretty well and will roll us if we dont come ready.

But I wont be surprised if we win by 10 goals tbh.

• Thanks 1