Bayley Fritsch to debut.

Redleg

Also metres gained. 

Love this kid. Beautiful field kick, classy, clean and kills it in the air. Will have his down days because it’s a hard position, but things happen when he gets near it.

• Like 8

On 3/22/2018 at 11:35 AM, Drunkn167 said:

Called it.

Got to give some credit to you Drunken and the other punters on this forum who were singing the praises for this guy from early in the piece.  Now that we've all had a chance to see what he can do for real, it's not hard to see where that confidence in him came from.  

Super impressive how well he has taken the step up to senior AFL level at this stage.  He just has such great 'natural footballer attributes' about him, it's a thing of true beauty.  Will be interesting to see if he can maintain his presence and good form as no doubt he will be targeted and start attracting even more close checking attention from the opposition with how well he is playing and what he is doing for the side.

• Like 4

On a bit of a tangent, but related note - you know, for all the money that gets put into regurgitated crap footy shows these days, you would think that a half decient rap-up and analysis of what's going on at state league level would make for good viewing wouldn't you.  I use to love watching the seconds before the main game, to have a better look at who was comming through, but don't really get that chance much these days.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, frankie_d said:

I'm old enough to remember another skinny left footer who took marks like that... Not saying that he's going to be anywhere Tulip, but that mark reminds me of our (IMHO) best ever player...

Left footer?

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

On 3/22/2018 at 12:35 PM, Drunkn167 said:

Called it.

What about this call Drunkn from way back on  September 3, 2017.     

This old goon finally nailed one.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Danelska said:

Close ups on TV looks like his arms would snap like twigs being broken by kindergarten kids...mind 

There's not many among our newer crop of forwards you'd pick on appearance for a fight behind the school sheds.

• Haha 2

as a fellow skinny bugger, great to see size and muscle isnt everything in footy.

what a great player! already one that you can trust completely with ball in hand (we don't have many of those). weighted passes, plays on instinct but developed correctly so he goes in hard when needed and just attacks the contest.

can't wait to see him have the occasional stint at a centre bounce.

I'm not going "all in" on this one yet.  Has shown positive signs to date, but he's 5 games in to his career, and I'm not sure if the role he plays is something that will have a long term future in the game.

Clearly I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I'll come back to this thread after his 50th (if that happens), and will reassess my views.

6 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

I'm not sure if the role he plays is something that will have a long term future in the game.

What, an ability fly for marks, compete in the air strongly, kick for goal beautifully and hit targets by foot?

Nah, no future in the game for that..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

I'm not going "all in" on this one yet.  Has shown positive signs to date, but he's 5 games in to his career, and I'm not sure if the role he plays is something that will have a long term future in the game.

What!!?

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

What, an ability fly for marks, compete in the air strongly, kick for goal beautifully and hit targets by foot?

Nah, no future in the game for that..

56 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

What!!?

Apologies for having my own opinion.  Actually, I'm not sorry at all.

As I said, I'll come back to this thread after he plays 50 games, if he manages to.

18 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Apologies for having my own opinion.  Actually, I'm not sorry at all.

As I said, I'll come back to this thread after he plays 50 games, if he manages to.

No probs, just letting you know that those fundamentals won’t change as long as the game of AFL exists.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevethemanjordan said:

No probs, just letting you know that those fundamentals won’t change as long as the game of AFL exists.

He's not big enough to play KPF, he's taller than a small forward.  He's an inbetweener that is getting on the end of a few, very early in to his career.

He's a newbie that opposition sides don't have as a priority when looking at our match-ups.  If continues his current form, they will absolutely put more time in to him.  How will he cope with extra attention?  How will his ability to fly for marks go when opposition players are blocking him more off the ball?  Will he be able to kick more goals from crumbing as opposed to set shots?  These are the questions that I will have answered in his next 45 games, and I'm sure all start to get answered maybe later this year, but definitely moving in to 2019 and beyond.

I'm enjoying what he is bringing to the team currently, but I'm also mindful that his role is one that good quality backlines can deal with quite easily.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Chazz said:

He's not big enough to play KPF, he's taller than a small forward.  He's an inbetweener that is getting on the end of a few, very early in to his career.

He's a newbie that opposition sides don't have as a priority when looking at our match-ups.  If continues his current form, they will absolutely put more time in to him.  How will he cope with extra attention?  How will his ability to fly for marks go when opposition players are blocking him more off the ball?  Will he be able to kick more goals from crumbing as opposed to set shots?  These are the questions that I will have answered in his next 45 games, and I'm sure all start to get answered maybe later this year, but definitely moving in to 2019 and beyond.

I'm enjoying what he is bringing to the team currently, but I'm also mindful that his role is one that good quality backlines can deal with quite easily.

Don't agree at all in relation to countering his flight at the footy.

One of his strengths is his ability to launch at the footy from any direction.

8 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Agree with what you are saying here.  AFL/VFL is littered with players who had a few break out games but couldn't maintain it over the long run.  Only time will really tell, but I think the fundamentals of Bailey are pretty good in terms of his attack on the ball and skill using it by foot that I think he will stand up to the test, but only time will really tell.  He also needs to remain injury free unlike the other recient mature age player with real potenial we have on our list that has fallen by the wayside in Vandenberg.

13 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Don't agree at all in relation to countering his flight at the footy.

One of his strengths is his ability to launch at the footy from any direction.

What were the reasons Howe became ineffective as a forward?

Bit worried about his light frame but his reaction to his own involvements bring a smile to my face, I think that drunken is on the money with this kid.

Go Bayley.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

no goal sense, poor set shot, didnt know where to lead, didnt stay involved in the game, poor kick to teammates

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DubDee said:

no goal sense, poor set shot, didnt know where to lead, didnt stay involved in the game, poor kick to teammates

100% - Jeremy Howe, is a poor mans Bailey Fritsch.

Edited by Danelska
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, frankie_d said:

I'm old enough to remember another skinny left footer who took marks like that... Not saying that he's going to be anywhere Tulip, but that mark reminds me of our (IMHO) best ever player...

robbie landed better than that.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

When played deep opposition defenders would block his run ...which is what you are talking about.

..but he would pack up shop and do nothing to counter this and was done for the day.

When played up the ground he was just a lazy footballer who would pick and chose when to go.

He's grown up a lot at C/wood as a defender where Roos identified was his best position.

He's not lazy now and works harder.

Our man Fritsch works a lot harder to make position than Howe did and is a much better field kick and kick for goal.

I don't think you can compare the 2 really 'Chaz', although I get where you are coming from.

• Like 5