Trade rumours

Big T Mac

3 minutes ago, SFebey said:

No matter how much everyone bags Essendon or Port, they have delivered this trade period and will be pushing for the same top 4 spot we want. They may not do well in finals but they'll be strong in the H&A. Stringer for those picks is a steal for them

Essendon have not really reinforced their midfield. Smith and Stringer have not spent much time in the midfield to date. Stringer a risk given his off field issues, Smith has had knees concerns. Can they do the pre season workload required to do the midfield running required?

Port will improve, and lets hope Jack gets to play finals, but with the trend to smaller forward lines they'll be going against the grain with a taller forward line. Can it apply the manic pressure de jour? The recruiting is understandable, 4 of their of their best players are 30 plus  next season - Ryder, Gray, Boak, Westhoff and 3 are 28 - Ebert, Hartlett, Dixon. 

Just now, SFebey said:

Wasn't a matter of being first to break it, but more a point of why didn't we have a crack at it. Look at some of these players and what they're going for. Must be a super draft this year

Yeah must say have been wondering why we haven’t had a look at a few more floating around atm. Assume we are confident with what we can get in the draft?! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Matthew Lobbe has joined @CarltonFC from @PAFC for Pick 95.

Thats very clever trading ( for Carlton )  effectively a freebie :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

Thats very clever trading ( for Carlton )  effectively a freebie :rolleyes:

It appears to be be a salary cap issue so not strictly a freebie. We may not have been able to fit him in. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Wasn't a matter of being first to break it, but more a point of why didn't we have a crack at it. Look at some of these players and what they're going for. Must be a super draft this year

They were saying on SEN last night that this is effectively a salary cap dump for Port.  Lobbe is on a multi year big $ contract and the deal is apparently subject to Carlton taking on the full salary.  

• Like 1

Not a rumour, but I'm intrigued by the West Coast - Gold Coast trade. West Coast essentially gave up their first rounder next year for a pile of second rounders this year. They obviously have a need to load up on 18 year olds this year.

Would love to know what was said in their end of year "where our list is at and where it needs to go" conversation in order for that type of trade to come to fruition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbie57 said:

It appears to be be a salary cap issue so not strictly a freebie. We may not have been able to fit him in. 

Watt do you reckon Lobbe would be on ? :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Not a rumour, but I'm intrigued by the West Coast - Gold Coast trade. West Coast essentially gave up their first rounder next year for a pile of second rounders this year. They obviously have a need to load up on 18 year olds this year.

Would love to know what was said in their end of year "where our list is at and where it needs to go" conversation in order for that type of trade to come to fruition.

Apparently there is a handful of quality WA lads expected to go around the 20-30 mark this year. That would be their reasoning behind the deal, and I think it is a good one - as it takes the homesickness out of the equation. Very smart trade I think.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Imagine if Lever had walked into the draft and been picked by another club, because we had hard balled a deal?

The Clubs planning would be in disarray. 

We got the player we wanted, a gun 21 year old

Mitch Clarke is the only player I can recall doing an about face like that to join us ... rest my case

15 minutes ago, SFebey said:

I feel sad for Ablett, after the week he's had and the stress of getting to the Cats. You'd think both GC and Cats would've stitched it up early. Must say, am disappointed with Dees not having a crack at some of these players.

Nuh bugger him, he chose the $. Suck it up. 

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Must say, am disappointed with Dees not having a crack at some of these players.

There isn't one I would be interested in really...

None of them fixes a problem we have.

Only 2 quality players have changed hands so far this trade period and we have one of them.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Mitch Clarke is the only player I can recall doing an about face like that to join us ... rest my case

I meant another club usurping us on Draft night

F$&@ Mitch Clark

We got the deal done early and it was worth it