WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN BROWN

Dee tention

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

Personally i wouldn't. I think next year we could slide anywhere from 11th to 15th so a first round pick would be overs. 

But thats because we will surely get more injuries next year than we did this year and Simon running the show again doesn't instill any confidence.

I think the club has shown itself to be aggressive and more optimistic than yourself on where this list is at. 11-15th would be a serious slide and recruiting Brown and targeting others discussed on here would be an indication that they're not preparing to go backwards to go forwards. Bash the coach all you want but there's only so much you can do and implement with the players on your list and it's clear that there is potential on this list and with some major improvements on and off the field that we'll be back sniffing around finals again.

Your comment about injuries next year is absolute nonsense. Its not like this year we won the injury lottery and all of a sudden we'll be hit by the karma bus next season because of that. We suffered in 2019 as a result of David Misson and all signs seem to indicate that Burgess will be around with his quality injury management next year to ensure that we'll have largely a full selection of players available each game.

8 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Brown will nominate his club and a deal will be done. Other clubs sniffing around won't really change the negotiation, as no club will want to pay much more than #23 anyway.

Next years first round pick should be on the table, but we would want to get something back in a deal for Brown.

I'm fairly inclined to agree, however it's also hard to see Pies (if they manage to ditch Treloar) and Dons not having a decent crack given they're also deficient in an elite key forward and could potentially have the salary and better picks to offer North. 

23 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks.  I tried to stay away from rumours as I felt facts would be more convincing to cover 'Sydees'' concerns.

re the rumours you mention.  Good on him for putting his family first.  If I was his wife and went thru what she did I wouldn't be too happy with the club either.

Absolutely agree.

I just thought that imcluding those rumours might help put the "but why are they pushing him out the door" questions to rest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

Another case for Ben Brown being a good match for the Dees (apologies if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread):

https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/ben-brown-to-melbourne-is-a-devilishly-good-match

This has given me a lot more hope in chasing Brown, I wasn't really sold on the idea until reading through it. Our set shot accuracy has always been an issue and when it was fixed in 2018, mainly by TMac, we played finals. No point being dominate at clearances and contested possession if we are one of the worst at converting. I know Fritta had a shocker this year, but his action makes me think this will come good, Weid is a great kick and LJ looks like he kicks it easy as well. If our main marking targets can increase their goal kicking efficiency and we maintain our ability to restrict teams entering their 50 (we had the lowest number of inside 50s against), then it should in theory help in 2 ways, the obvious is more goals kicked but should help to decrease the amount of goals scored against from a rebound from our 50. This is one area I can see that will help us move up the ladder very quickly.

Plus, it would make the Simpsons guernseys even better if Brown (aka sideshow Bob) was actually on our team: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-the-simpsons-themed-afl-guernseys-designs-every-clubs-jersey-with-the-simpsons-crossover/news-story/cb0ec7c3f72fded50e71b06775f101dd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

That's absolutely true, DOX, and might happen very soon, but personally I'm very happy with a club that gets things done quietly than foghorns it out clumsily. eg. Collingwood with Adams.

Of course, i'm assuming Brown has chosen MFC

I'm assuming he has too, but I'm also guessing that both clubs are ironing out the fine details; possibly pick 23 and a player?

North don’t have a leg to stand on when attempting to hold Brown. 

- He’s out of contract
- They haven’t offered him a deal 
- There’s clearly been acrimony between him and the club 

It’s a farce he isn’t a free agent after 7 years of service and a year for their VFL side. He’s pretty close to a delisted free agent too when there’s no interest in keeping him.

I’d be kicking off negotiations with a future 3rd round pick and might go to a future 2nd rounder and a swap of other picks. That’s in line with the value of Sam Frost and that’s about all they are getting. My message to the Brown camp would be we need every possible asset to build the rest of the list as well, so stay solid with us and we’ll get you in but we’re done being the roll over trade guys 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

- He’s out of contract

It’s a farce he isn’t a free agent after 7 years of service and a year for their VFL side. He’s pretty close to a delisted free agent too when there’s no interest in keeping him.

I’d be kicking off negotiations with a future 3rd round pick and might go to a future 2nd rounder and a swap of other picks. That’s in line with the value of Sam Frost and that’s about all they are getting. My message to the Brown camp would be we need every possible asset to build the rest of the list as well, so stay solid with us and we’ll get you in but we’re done being the roll over trade guys 

I know that future picks are worth less in general, but does that hold this year? We have a compromised draft, no junior footy and list sizes reducing. I think it might be wise if we just take two very late picks this year and save our 2021 assets, filling the rest of the list with base wage free agents on 1 year deals. If we really like a player still on the board, we could potentially push up the draft order on the day.

The point about playing hard ball with Brown makes sense, but it hasn't really been our style. We have taken the view that we can be a 'fair' trader to enhance our standing with player agents. It will certainly be an interesting negotiation because North have no leverage and #23 is really unders for one of the best goal scorers in the AFL.

18 hours ago, Dees247 said:

Funny guy. Can you elaborate..

No need for an elaboration from McQueen, he's cool enough to know that Essendrug ain't got no chance, baby. 

33 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

- He’s out of contract

dees don't mess around like that

that hawks' second round pick - currently pick 23, most likely will end up ~30 - will get it done

get it done, move on

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

Another case for Ben Brown being a good match for the Dees (apologies if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread):

https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/ben-brown-to-melbourne-is-a-devilishly-good-match

This is an interesting insight. Slightly off topic but I do wonder what the final piece of the puzzle is given our list is looking better at the top and Goodwin appears to be a Hardwick style coach (I really hope that proves to be true). Is it simply just a reliable forward that will turn our fortunes? We certainly looked the goods when Tmac and Hogan were playing well. 

May was a great pick up and came under an injury cloud we lifted last year. I am surprised Cameron would pick Geelong who i think were throwing the dice for the last time this year. 

Jay Clark responding to a question.

What is the latest about Ben Brown and Issac Smith joining Melbourne?

A: I think the Dees are busy behind the scenes and could bring in both of those guys if Tom McDonald leaves. They need his money out. GWS interested in McDonald. Melbourne has presented to Smith and offered a three year deal and is slightly ahead of the Bombers for Brown. Maybe on about $550-$650k.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

This has given me a lot more hope in chasing Brown, I wasn't really sold on the idea until reading through it. Our set shot accuracy has always been an issue and when it was fixed in 2018, mainly by TMac, we played finals. No point being dominate at clearances and contested possession if we are one of the worst at converting. I know Fritta had a shocker this year, but his action makes me think this will come good, Weid is a great kick and LJ looks like he kicks it easy as well. If our main marking targets can increase their goal kicking efficiency and we maintain our ability to restrict teams entering their 50 (we had the lowest number of inside 50s against), then it should in theory help in 2 ways, the obvious is more goals kicked but should help to decrease the amount of goals scored against from a rebound from our 50. This is one area I can see that will help us move up the ladder very quickly.

Plus, it would make the Simpsons guernseys even better if Brown (aka sideshow Bob) was actually on our team: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-the-simpsons-themed-afl-guernseys-designs-every-clubs-jersey-with-the-simpsons-crossover/news-story/cb0ec7c3f72fded50e71b06775f101dd

I want one?

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

ok someone really needs to photoshop Brown onto that jumper - beyond my capabilities. 

could do with a new avatar 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

I know that future picks are worth less in general, but does that hold this year? We have a compromised draft, no junior footy and list sizes reducing. I think it might be wise if we just take two very late picks this year and save our 2021 assets, filling the rest of the list with base wage free agents on 1 year deals. If we really like a player still on the board, we could potentially push up the draft order on the day.

The point about playing hard ball with Brown makes sense, but it hasn't really been our style. We have taken the view that we can be a 'fair' trader to enhance our standing with player agents. It will certainly be an interesting negotiation because North have no leverage and #23 is really unders for one of the best goal scorers in the AFL.

I’d rather go in to the draft with a useful pick and then trade out of it if needed. Clubs routinely overpay on draft night, it’s really hard to move up the order.

I just don’t think we’ve taken enough picks in recent years. Obviously this year with list reductions and an uncertain draft isn’t the year to have a huge number of picks but I’d still like to give Jason Taylor at least 1 chance in the top 40.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

A: I think the Dees are busy behind the scenes and could bring in both of those guys if Tom McDonald leaves. They need his money out. GWS interested in McDonald. Melbourne has presented to Smith and offered a three year deal and is slightly ahead of the Bombers for Brown. Maybe on about $550-$650k.

I can just see us being stuck with T Mac and his terrible contract and not being able to bring anyone in.

GWS better come through with the goods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I asked Jay Clark that question. 

• Like 9