Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

Just now, praha said:

This trade is essentially backing in the current group of players and coaching team. If we finish lower than 4th we've absolutely gifted Adelaide two good young players for one. 

This is the epitome of the club drinking its own bathwater. I don't mind it, and good to see the club backing itself in. But gee, it's an immense risk.

If they turn out to be good.  This is why it's hard to judge as there are so many variables involved.

• Like 5

Just now, Wiseblood said:

If they turn out to be good.  This is why it's hard to judge as there are so many variables involved.

Yeah of course. I like that he's at the club but the whole thing is reliant more on us performing well more than it is Adelaide drafting well with those picks.

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I think peoples ego’s get in the way when it comes to these trades. It’s not about ‘beating’ or ‘screwing over’ another team at the trade table. 

Welcome Jake.

A llloootttt of people on here seem to like the thought of "us" being bent over.

10 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

Two things.

Predicted superdrafts hardly ever end up being as good as projected. Rave about 2001 all you want, but then came 2006, 2008 and 2012, all of which have flunked. Meanwhile, 2013 and 2015 were considered weaker yet look the best of recent years.

Secondly, we could have picked Scully (2x AA squad), Martin (best player in comp), Talia (AA) and Fyfe (AA) with 1,2,11 and 18 in 2009. That's just off the top of my head.

2008 was a great draft. We blew picks 1, 17,19 and 35. Only got value with Jetta at 51.

5 minutes ago, praha said:

This trade is essentially backing in the current group of players and coaching team. If we finish lower than 4th we've absolutely gifted Adelaide two good young players for one. 

This is the epitome of the club drinking its own bathwater. I don't mind it, and good to see the club backing itself in. But gee, it's an immense risk.

Explain to all of us how getting Lever is an immense risk

1 hour ago, BAMF said:

So happy that we got him.

But we paid way over. We should have got a 2nd rounder back if we were paying 2 firsts.

The Treloar deal was the benchmark.

Why we had to also give up a late pick is beyond me. If anything we should have got an extra late back as the minimum.

We caved.

Except Treloar is a garden variety mid.

Look at key position trades I would suggest.

There are not heaps of top line players available each year. When they are, most clubs want them. When you have a top liner like Lever with proven ability and attitude you have to go for it. We have all seen the difference one top grader can make to a team. Draft picks can be hit or miss. Oliver is a beauty but the field is littered with the bodies of the failures irrespective of the wraps on them prior to drafting. So far this season, Lever is the pick of the bunch. A proven track record and still developing. There is no guesswork or luck involved in the choice. We may need another forward, midfielder or ruckman but the young man is a champ.  The only risk is serious injury and that can be said for all players that step onto the turf.  Despite the debate about what we have given up, the risk is worth it. All success requires risk. You have to be in it to win it and watching his highlight reel is bloody well exciting. 

And it is a credit to the Dees that he has chosen us. And those involved in his recruitment should be given a big pat on the back and not receive criticism. 

• Like 7

Love the way Lever plays and given we were smashed in the air this year, then it's nice to know we have a guy who has a presence in this area with his leap.

Apart from T-Mac going forward, I hope they prepare O.Mac pre-season to play as a forward/back-up ruckmen as well. Unless Frost or Lever is injured, then O-Mac will be required to head forward on occasions and last year for some stupid reason, players like Weid and O-Mac and T-Mac did no work on the back-up ruck role pre-season. It was only when Gawn went down that we started work in that area. 

41 minutes ago, praha said:

Since when were picks 10 and 13ish guaranteed good players?

Perhaps you missed my post listing our top 20 picks since 2007.

Edited by Rogue

A lot of pressure on this bloke to be a superstar. two first rounders is the most given for any player ever isn't it?

I've only seen him play a few times and I've only seen a good defender. Hopefully he is the second coming of SOS

considering he is OOC and nominated us, it is hard to fathom how we have given so much.

Oh well, we move on and trust the FD that have done so well in the past few years.

at the very least it will be nice to have someone who can take a mark and kick accurately down back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveyDee said:

And yes you owe the site a donation - say $100 

Yes agreed I said Lever would cost more than the 2100 points you predicted and I was wrong - I owe Dland a donation - that's why it's a good deal.

Perhaps you'll also agree that your assertion that we are "up to our eyeballs" in the Stringer trade is also incorrect?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvia Saint said:

Two things.

Predicted superdrafts hardly ever end up being as good as projected. Rave about 2001 all you want, but then came 2006, 2008 and 2012, all of which have flunked. Meanwhile, 2013 and 2015 were considered weaker yet look the best of recent years.

Secondly, we could have picked Scully (2x AA squad), Martin (best player in comp), Talia (AA) and Fyfe (AA) with 1,2,11 and 18 in 2009. That's just off the top of my head.

Ok.

Predicted superdrafts usually end up with more than the usual AA players. We're not talking about pick 44 becoming a freak, we're talking about first rounders going on to have good 150-200 game careers, and be decorated. I don't remember 2006 being called a superdraft. 2008 has been a success largely. Watts is a good player (not great but will rack up 250 games at least), NN, Hill, Hartlett, Hurley, Yarran, Ziebell, Davis, Sidebottom, Ballantyne, Trengove all within the first 22 picks. All have shaped the fortunes of clubs. Yes there's a few Vickery's in there, but that's true of 2001 as well, and the Buddy draft (Tambling). If you can't call 2008 a good draft then we don't need to continue this conversation at all.

I don't know what planet you're living on with 2013. Everyone talked that up as a strong year I thought? All the Kelly Bont etc stuff. I think because we traded away our pick 2, it's got that reputation, but leading up to it I don't recall anyone poo-pooing it. And 2015 I don't remember being called weak either.

I've been following drafting like everyone else, but only from about 2006 onwards. My point is that you can find exceptions to the rule, but there hasn't been a big superdraft year that was a complete let down. And a lot of meh draft years ave turned out to be just that. The Scully one is the big one that springs to mind, mostly cos we all follow demons. Saints get picks 1 and 2 and get Riewoldt and Kosi. Hawks get 2 and 5 and get Roughie and Buddy. We get Scully. People predicted it, and they were right. There's no comparison.

Your second point: Of COURSE you can find a few good names. That's true of every draft ever. This is exactly what I'm talking about. You can't claim that just because Dusty went in a draft with Fyfe that it's a good draft. Look at the name around them. Scully isn't that great. Trengove and Morabito went on to do nothing (yes, yes, we know about injury), Cunnington's a good honest footballer not much more, Rohan's a flashy but inconsistent player, Sheppard and Butcher (who?), Moore, Melksham, Gysberts, Lucas.... Am I painting a picture here? That is a LOT of junk for what was, so you say, NOT a weak year?

The pundits exaggerate a lot of the time, but the gist is usually correct.

Having said all that, if the club thinks the 2018 draft isn't QUITE a superdraft... or perhaps they're projecting that we'll have pick 14-18... and that a pick in that area will get only a B+ player... Then hey, they've done well. It's risky... but aggressive. I really do want that first rounder in 2018... but these guys have earned our trust.

This kid is 100% worth it. He’s a proven performer and a leader who at 21 should be an A grader and around the mark of all Australian for us for a decade. 

Draft picks are always a bit of a gamble and we are the only ones who walk away from this deal with proven value. 

Just to change topic... Has anyone looked at his highlights package on the app? Actually sat through all of them? I know you can likely do that sort of thing for a lot of players.... but still... Imagine all those pack marks up one end, and Jesse up the other... That'll make you forget about the 2018 draft quicksmart.

• Like 1