Saints v Dees Rd 1

Deespicable

Will we beat the Saints?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Will we beat the Saints

• Hell Yeah (Two Hoodos for the Price of One)
    • No Way (I'm a recovering MFCSS addict)

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Someone mentioned to me today that there was a push to have the game moved to the MCG due to the anticipated crowd numbers. 

Has anything been mentioned in the media over east?

I know it won't happen but interested to know if anyone has heard the same thing. 

Not a chance.

They won't get more than 35k to the game. Melbourne supporters cannot or will not turn up to Etihad.

40 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If it ends up being Spencer's one and only game for the year, you won't have to be a fortune teller to work out the outcome of the game.

This sentence is more temporally confusing than Terminator Genysis. 

• Like 3

If we did what we did against West Coast and turn over the ball to much in our forward half giving them the opportunity to counter attack which is what they do really well then we will get smashed. 

I aggree with Spencer ahead of Weed in this match, we need forward presser which Weed doesn't have just yet.

Losing to WC in a practice match was a good wake call as it won't give the team a false reading on where they are at come round one. Hopefully the loss was enough for Goody to tinker his game play and stop the counter attach from the Saint.

Edited by ILLDieADemon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stynewillalwaysbeonthevine said:

Morning, VFL gameday.

With 17 approved to play today, is there any way to watch it on TV? What time does it start at Casey Fields? 

Getting very itchy fit... Tyson, Jetta, Garlett, Kent and Watts all best 22 and playing for spot.  

Cheers

I don't think so.  It's only a practice game so I highly doubt it will be televised.  I'm sure there will be some who can make the game and will provide updates throughout the day.  That's probably your best bet.

21 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Agree. Personally I`d prefer Pedo ahead of Weid or Spence but having watched training yday I dont think Pedo is 100%. Was bent over in pain from his strapped shoulder, reaching for his pec. He kept training but I thought his intensity was down compared to most others out there and I`d hazard a guess he is still being troubled post surgery.

That's actually kinda sad. Ive grown a real soft spot for the guy. Limited footballer, but always* has a real crack. Case in point, busting his ass off at training despite the discomfort. Lingering injuries sure is far from ideal at this point in his career.

* except that one time

4 hours ago, Juicebox said:

That's actually kinda sad. Ive grown a real soft spot for the guy. Limited footballer, but always* has a real crack. Case in point, busting his ass off at training despite the discomfort. Lingering injuries sure is far from ideal at this point in his career.

* except that one time

Yeah I`m with ya, I love how he goes about it despite his limitations as you say. He is supposed to be playing today so maybe it is something he has learnt to live with.

The lack of surety on the best team is a concern, but plenty of other teams are in a similar position. The good news is most of our best players (maybe Watts aside) are ready to perform. 

We can't be sure if the summer plans will be on display in round 1 and they often aren't for many teams given it's often a slug fest. 

Nor can know what exactly they've been saving from the JLT series in terms of opposition analysis and situation game plan stuff. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I understood we are allowed to uplift one rookie as of right, before the season starts and also replace LTI players, namely Mitch King and now possibly Col.

Therefore we can uplift at least two rookies and possibly three.

7 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I think it's becoming more and more likely we'll see a Spencer/Gawn ruck/forward combo with Watts and Weid.

Hogan to play up the ground.

His versatility needs to be used against St kilda. 

Agreed his versatility needs to be used, but I'd also be wary of ruining a good thing. He usually dominates St Kilda at Etihad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I think it's becoming more and more likely we'll see a Spencer/Gawn ruck/forward combo with Watts and Weid.

I doubt that will happen tbh

8 minutes ago, A F said:

Agreed his versatility needs to be used, but I'd also be wary of ruining a good thing. He usually dominates St Kilda at Etihad.

He dominated against a backline without Brown and Carlisle. It's a blank slate now. He's also played a lot of game-time up the field in the JLT. 

Hogan needs to play up the ground in this game imo. Like Riewoldt, we should be harnessing his running capacity and ability to impact contests in the air. I still think he should play on Roo.

Posters throwing up Vince and Bugg as options for a Roo matchup are kidding themselves. 

8 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

He dominated against a backline without Brown and Carlisle. It's a blank slate now. He's also played a lot of game-time up the field in the JLT. 

Hogan needs to play up the ground in this game imo. Like Riewoldt, we should be harnessing his running capacity and ability to impact contests in the air. I still think he should play on Roo.

Posters throwing up Vince and Bugg as options for a Roo matchup are kidding themselves. 

I reckon I could out-mark Brown and Carlisle is coming back after a year out of footy.

That said, I like the idea of Hogan playing a bit of a Riewoldt role in this game. He doesn't have the tank of a Riewoldt, but he can certainly cover ground and if he can push forward and kick goals that's a good start.

16 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Riewoldt is playing up the ground as part of their succession plan.

Believe me if he was 22 yo he would be playing where he was when he was that age...key position forward.

Same as what Hogan will be doing for us now.

Richardson would think Christmas had come early if we matched Hogan up on Riewoldt...

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, rjay said:

Riewoldt is playing up the ground as part of their succession plan.

Believe me if he was 22 yo he would be playing where he was when he was that age...key position forward.

Same as what Hogan will be doing for us now.

Richardson would think Christmas had come early if we matched Hogan up on Riewoldt...

Agreed.

It's one of the sillier suggestions I've read.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Steve I generally like your posts but you want Hogan to play on Riewoldt? That's gotta be one of the craziest things I've read on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Dont mind Hogan up ground either lets play Watts FF with Spencil and Garlett in play!

Look.

We already have one excitable larrikin claiming to be certain that Spencer won't be lining up when teams are announced on Thursday evening and I'm not sure why given what we've heard in interviews from Goodwin, Lewis and Tom McDonald as early as last week. He's going to look silly when it's announced.

Hogan has been starting on ball, at half forward and has roamed the wings throughout the JLT series, (as well as playing deep forward). They wouldn't try that sort of tinkering for shits and giggles during the JLT. Given that Riewoldt is somewhat of an uneasy matchup for the 'traditional wingman' type, I fail to see how manning him up with Hogan at some stage during the game is a "crazy" or "silly" idea. In fact, it's a very feasible option.

Here is why:

1 - Riewoldt seems to do what he likes against us, be it taking contested marks on the wings, up forward or down back. We've never been able to match him up, so why not let Hogan play a similar role and see if Jesse can command some accountability from Nick? Must we always be dictated by what other sides do? 

2 - It's clear as day that one of Gawn and Spencer do not work in fantastic unison with Hogan when they're in the same forwardline. We have mids who like to kick it to packs and we seem to often witness Hogan and Spencer/Gawn flying for the same ball. They don't work well. Gawn is much more dangerous on his own, as is Hogan.

Weideman is the only one I'm quite uncertain about. If he plays, Jesse will definitely play up the field and if he doesn't, Jess will spend more time forward.

I'm only contributing to what I think needs to be done in this particular match. St Kilda are an awkward opposition and I think we need to funk some things up in order to give ourselves a chance. We are too vanilla if we line-up as ya'll think we should.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

3 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

We already have one excitable larrikin claiming to be certain that Spencer won't be lining up when teams are announced on Thursday evening and I'm not sure why given what we've heard in interviews from Goodwin, Lewis and Tom McDonald as early as last week. He's going to look silly when it's announced.

I'm not certain Spencer won't be playing but I'm near enough to certain it will be a mistake if he does unless Gawn is out.

• Like 1