Simon Goodwin interview SEN

dazzledavey36

Interesting comments about Hogan: he is aware of his body language issues and has been working on them over the summer with various people.  Also, that he catches up with Carey for a coffee every now and then. 

Chuckled at the anecdote of their first meeting about a year ago.  To Hogan, Carey said something like '...you stuffed up mate!'  You were too good too early!!' 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Most honest and interesting interview from a coach in a long time.  Highly recommend you listen to it.

The rap on Petracca is something.  "some of the things he does...you just go wow!"

Also I was heartened by this video from the club site:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2017-02-01/training-day

If there was any doubt about the stability of Petracca's knee then look at 29-40 seconds.

• Like 2

reminds me a little of the old WOS Sundays !! lol

10 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

Garry is a phoney fan - he can't even remember we beat Port over there last year.

Goodwin spoke well, although I chuckled at him saying "he's looking forward to" addressing the media after a loss.

Gets the odd detail wrong. So would I if I was doing breakfast radio. But he's a fan, no doubt about it. He has the same mix of optimism and nervousness that the rest of us do!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

Garry is a phoney fan - he can't even remember we beat Port over there last year.

Goodwin spoke well, although I chuckled at him saying "he's looking forward to" addressing the media after a loss.

Garry was also Captain of the Club for a good stretch...

• Like 1

Wouldn't say I'm looking forward to a losing press conference but I am interested in it.

So far Goodwin seems to be a mix of Roos straight bat with a little more humour and openness. He's given the occasional clip, the occasional pump up and also dodged a few questions well. 

The thing that impressed me was that he realised he's speaking to fans, players and addressing the wider footy public when giving a press conference but he's comfortable doing it. 

47 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

If there was any doubt about the stability of Petracca's knee then look at 29-40 seconds.

That's the god damn video I was trying to put up in the Maroochydore thread.

I genuinely freaked out at the 26 second mark. Watching that in slow-mo is like torture.

• Like 2

On 3 February 2017 at 6:25 PM, Sylvia Saint said:

Yeah Lyon said something like:

I can't work out this team. They had an inspiring and awesome win over Hawthorn and then followed that up with 2 stinking losses against Port (pretty sure we won but I stand corrected) and Carlton.

Earlier in the week he also said we beat West Coast last year.

i might be a bit pedantic when it comes to details like that, but a bloke earning serious money in the media shouldn't be making sloppy mistakes like that.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

36 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can't work out this team. They had an inspiring and awesome win over Hawthorn and then followed that up with 2 stinking losses against Port (pretty sure we won but I stand corrected) and Carlton.

i might be a bit pedantic when it comes to details like that, but a bloke earning serious money in the media shouldn't be making sloppy mistakes like that.

To be fair BBP, if you take the scoreboard out of the equation he's actually right. We won every aspect of the West Coast game (except the scoreboard), and the second half against Port was as ugly a performance which still delivered 4 points as you'll see (but I'll take it).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, small but forward said:

To be fair BBP, if you take the scoreboard out of the equation he's actually right. We won every aspect of the West Coast game (except the scoreboard), and the second half against Port was as ugly a performance which still delivered 4 points as you'll see (but I'll take it).

No he's not because we still lost.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:25 PM, Sylvia Saint said:

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Are you guys being fair to Lyon?

I presume you are both aware of his mental health battles in 2016, - some memory, (or knowledge) lapses in that context don't seem deal breakers to me.

In the context of the questions he was asking when referring to those games, (knowing what to expect from the team, win or lose and Hogan's mindset), they make no difference at all.

By the way, in the SEN interview he said " nearly beating West Coast", - so he corrected himself.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I used to care what Lyon thought about the MFC.

I don't anymore.

• Like 8

On 03/02/2017 at 3:02 PM, george_on_the_outer said:

Most honest and interesting interview from a coach in a long time.  Highly recommend you listen to it.

The rap on Petracca is something.  "some of the things he does...you just go wow!"

Also I was heartened by this video from the club site:

OMG Trac is a competitive beast. 

11 hours ago, ILLDieADemon said:

I like listening to Goody talk.

I hope he can coach

Jesse made an interesting comment on Goodwin:  “I can’t fault him so far, he’s been unreal and it will be good to see what he’s like in a game situation and see if he can keep his cool like he does at training.”   http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-02-05/hogan-aims-to-be-a-leader-in-attack  Even tho Goodwin has been around a few years he will still get a honeymoon period so I reckon he will keep his cool, at least in public.  Behind closed doors I suspect the players will get his wrath when warranted. 

A short but good interview.  Jesse sounds like he is maturing rapidly, that he aspires to become a leader of our young forward line.  Good on him. 

I think he nailed the benefit of recruiting Hibberd ("...older half-back that we haven’t had for the last few years...") and Lewis ( “...has been a wealth of knowledge and his experience is something money can’t buy.")

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

...I think he nailed the benefit of recruiting Hibberd ("...older half-back that we haven’t had for the last few years...") .....

Jack Grimes says 'hello'.

13 hours ago, ILLDieADemon said:

I like listening to Goody talk.

I hope he can coach

Zachary.

Let's not froth up just yet.

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Love Jack but he wasn't able to break into a rookie back line last season.

Hibberd will be a big plus, not just his experience but his left boot.

I think that's what has impressed me over the past couple of years, it's our ability to know where we have some deficiencies, then we go out and do something about it by targeting specific players.

Examples;

When Frawley was on the way out, we had to make sure we got maximum return, which netted us Brayshaw, while we went searching for a replacement, which was why we chased Frost.  We did all this while playing Frawley up forward, which meant we could still spend a season developing our backline without him in it.

Not long after that we realised that we needed better foot speed and kicking coming out of half back.  We chased Melksham to do this, and in turn, Hibberd as well.  We got both our targets.

There are other, lower profile examples (Bugg).  I didn't include Lewis because that was out of left field.

We did all that while stocking up on the best "top end talent" available.

What the football department has done over the past 3-4 years has been simply incredible.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

When Frawley was on the way out, we had to make sure we got maximum return, which netted us Brayshaw, while we went searching for a replacement, which was why we chased Frost.  We did all this while playing Frawley up forward, which meant we could still spend a season developing our backline without him in it.

You're not suggesting that Roos lied to us when he said he didn't know Frawley was leaving are you?

But your point is well made.  We've been methodical and successful with our list management since Todd Viney took over.  That, and the fact that Jason Taylor hasn't put a foot wrong.

• Like 4

On 2/5/2017 at 8:44 AM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

He isn't on his own.
With some of the garbage different commentators talk you just know they watch FA Melbourne games.

Having said that I prefer not to listen to Gaz the snake.