Daniel Wells

McQueen

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Given you're going into pretty much every trading thread and dropping his name, I certainly get that you want it to happen.

My reasoning is in Hartlett thread.  I've only posted my preference for him in the Wells and Dal Santo threads because he's a direct better alternative IMO.  I'm unlikely to post about him in the Zac Clarke or Marchbank threads.

Interesting, you'd think North would have known his intentions before they decided not to renew Nicky Dal.  Two of their best user's of the ball by foot.  Was interested to watch the Coaches box and lip read Scott's reaction to some of Boomer's efforts - didn't see a lot of 'team first' from Boomer last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Wow if nth lose wells as well as the other 4 going thats some experience they will be losing. Im not sure they ever thought wells would walk. Funny if he did. 

couldn't blame wells for wanting to shore up his superannuation while he can. norf won't offer him 3 years

Daniel Wells brings back memories.  To put him in perspective,  he was drafted pick 2 the same year we traded woey to Collingwood,  then traded for Chris Heffernen from Essendon.  In that same draft we selected Bell, Nick 426 Smith, and Rivers.

Wells was a guy with a big future in 2002, going into 2017 he is a highly skilled vet with a body made of glass.

Someone will offer him 2-3 years based on his ability, but they will get lucky to get 40 games of senior footy out of him if they do.

7 hours ago, Adzman said:

Daniel Wells brings back memories.  To put him in perspective,  he was drafted pick 2 the same year we traded woey to Collingwood,  then traded for Chris Heffernen from Essendon.  In that same draft we selected Bell, Nick 426 Smith, and Rivers.

If I remember rightly, that was also the draft Carlton were supposed to have pick 1 (Goddard) and 2 (Wells) but lost both due to salary cap sanctions.  Super harsh penalty and, combined with some seriously inept administration, helped set them up for years of failure, which they've still barely recovered from.  Wasn't it great?

• Like 8

I would jump at Wells. Getting him on the park would be a challenge but when fit is an absolute A grader.

He is exactly the sort of player we need as we only have Salem and Watts who are elite kicks and two such players is simply not not enough. We also lack pure outside players. I would consider Del Santo for the same reason but for mine he is a little slow and if there is one thing we are not short of its slow players.

If we are to push towards finals next year Well is the sort of player we need.

Fantastic player but I'm not sure he's the right fit. 

Dal Santo would be cheap, fills a need on the wing, is durable yet probably open to only playing 15 or so games and might be looking to stay on as a coach.

Wells would be expensive and require a 2 year deal, he'd have to play on ball really, certainly isn't durable and there's no mention that he's looking to coach post footy.

If he wants to come I'd certainly have a look, but I don't think Wells fits the role of an older depth/culture player. He should go to a team that's contending. 

46 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fantastic player but I'm not sure he's the right fit. 

Dal Santo would be cheap, fills a need on the wing, is durable yet probably open to only playing 15 or so games and might be looking to stay on as a coach.

Wells would be expensive and require a 2 year deal, he'd have to play on ball really, certainly isn't durable and there's no mention that he's looking to coach post footy.

If he wants to come I'd certainly have a look, but I don't think Wells fits the role of an older depth/culture player. He should go to a team that's contending. 

Both going to Pies aren't they? Brayshaw had a bit of a spit about the situation today. 

5 hours ago, Nasher said:

If I remember rightly, that was also the draft Carlton were supposed to have pick 1 (Goddard) and 2 (Wells) but lost both due to salary cap sanctions.  Super harsh penalty and, combined with some seriously inept administration, helped set them up for years of failure, which they've still barely recovered from.  Wasn't it great?

They continue to be managed ineptly. And my Carlton mate constantly bangs on about how we're still a soft-bellied club. Well, at least we're on an upward trajectory. They're still in for some pain.

12 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Both going to Pies aren't they? Brayshaw had a bit of a spit about the situation today. 

If I was Wells and was still deciding my future, I would definitely be leaving after Brayshaw's childish 4% crack. Disrespectful comment from a petulant primadonna 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

If I was Wells and was still deciding my future, I would definitely be leaving after Brayshaw's childish 4% crack. Disrespectful comment from a petulant primadonna 

What did he say?

27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I have developed a new game, its called, "guess the player leaving his club, not being suggested as going to Collingwood".

Dean Terlich.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I have developed a new game, its called, "guess the player leaving his club, not being suggested as going to Collingwood".

Sounds like a parting shot of anything.

Edited by McQueen
In response to previous post by Redleg.

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

Except Norf supported him and paid him for the considerable time he has been out injured. They would have every right to feel aggrieved.

just like mitch clark? anyway, chook you make a good point and i agree, but it seems that is not always the way these days

I would be absolutely stoked if we got him, as long as we didn't hurt ourselves in the process. At his age and his history of injuries he is a gamble but when out on a park and got he is a damaging player. He would also have to be realising that whatever his allegiance to the club and whatever Brayshaw is saying about his lack of playing in the last 3 years, he will not see a premiership at the Roos. 

Scott rolled the dice of aging players and he's lost so now they are back to rebuilding. I have been waiting more this to happen, admittedly I thought it was going to happen sooner, but the Roos are now cooked and they've got to start again.

Edited by Pates