Time to be bold and blood for 2017

picket fence

After looking at last nights game I think the time is now approaching where with the final rounds upon us the opportunity to "Blood" new players is ideal.

I personally wouldn't play Dawes, Trengove,Pedo or Bugg again unless injuries take hold. I would seriously look at keeping  Clarry Chho Choo, White, Stretch and Hunt in for the rest of the year and play Weeds, Hullett and one or two others to see what they have got! A three game run for the big blokes might reveal some options and give us a head start to next season.Time to be bold and daring in selection. The promise of reward is potentially high! 

I think they've been pretty bold all year tbh. Giving regular gigs to Hunt, Oscar, Wagner, then dropping Gartlet...or Oliver,  to name a just a few few. In fact this forum has been in melt down regularily because they've made choices we didnt agree with or understand at the time.  This club needs wins first and foremost. Maybe the last round we give someone their first game but up to that point pick the side thats going to win.

• Like 13

I agree with the sentiments, but o think we need to maintain the selection standards and select on merit over potential. If a young player is playing well, then their age should not prohibit their selection in the seniors.

I would expect Hunt, Harmes, Stetch, Oliver and co to play the majority of the games anyway as the football department has already demonstrated a willingness to field young and inexperienced teams. 

In regards to Weid and Hullett though, I would be reluctant to field them, even for the possible benefits of 'having a taste'.  We can already see on their development at Casey that there is plenty to work with for next year. I'd leave them there to play and develop away from the rigours of senior footy.  It's a massive leap in size, speed and impact and it's already been a long season on their maturing frames.

Im somewhat more interested in having one last look at a few players who may be on the block for next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Still 28 points on offer. Far too early for Tanking

let's fight for a spot in the 8

Far more exciting

We are so far from deserving a place in the 8 atm.

Beaten nobody of note, except the rd 1 surprise. Its nice to keep the hopes up, but kinda pointless until we can beat real top 8 quality teams.

The Weide I would keep on ice but Hulett interests me given his big body and option to play back and forward. Is he an option down back? I have not seen him play but we need another big body that either plays down back or can be used in a swing role.

• Like 1

After today's West Coast v North game, we'll know exactly what we need to chase to make the 8.

A fading North that, looking at their fixture, could conceivably finish the season with only one or two more wins, maybe even none! We'd be chasing three wins on them, but % would take care of itself.

or

The flat-track West Coast, just 2 games and % ahead of us, and who finish the season with Giants (away), Hawks and Crows (away). And we play them. The percentage difference between us and West Coast works out to about 250 points, or about 6-goals a game better margins over the remaining 7 games.

All I'm saying is, it is not quiiiiite time to 'play the kids'. Beside, it is a bit of a moot point when so many of the kids are legitimately in our best 22 anyway. Just on exposed form, and barring injury or illness, we could reasonably have ten players on the field aged 21 or younger.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, faultydet said:

We are so far from deserving a place in the 8 atm.

Beaten nobody of note, except the rd 1 surprise. Its nice to keep the hopes up, but kinda pointless until we can beat real top 8 quality teams.

That is EXACTLY why we have to keep winning. String 4-5 in a row then we start to make our own destiny. 

Today doesn't help. We need Meth Coke to lose, but that means Nought win....

[censored]....

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

That is EXACTLY why we have to keep winning. String 4-5 in a row then we start to make our own destiny. 

Today doesn't help. We need Meth Coke to lose, but that means Nought win....

[censored]....

Collingwoods win was "keeping their hopes alive "according to the media on 7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Still 28 points on offer. Far too early for Tanking

let's fight for a spot in the 8

Far more exciting

Yup. Kangas win today v Eagles and it's on imo as they have to play hawks at home and gws, adel, coll, carl away and let's not forget: WE get to play the Eagles at their fortress and if we pull off the remarkable then that's an 8 point gamee; the future can be in OUR hands. Oh and a western derby too with PAV retiring, which brings the best out of freo even if theyve been [censored]. Go Kangas!!

Edited by johndemons
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biffen said:

That's right & last time i looked The MFC was above The Filth..

we have a lot to fight for still in 2016 right up till the final Q Round 23

• Like 1

And here I was thinking that (while unlikely), we should still be chasing a finals berth while it was still a mathematical possibility...
I wrote it in the hoodoo thread and will say it again. It's bloody refreshing to be sitting at round 15 and not be already looking forward to the draft or off season. The club needs to keep pushing for every win they can get until we have no chance of making the 8 whatsoever (i.e. not enough rounds enough to pull off the necessary amount of wins). Until that comes, pick the team on it's merits.

I should mention that it still baffles me that some still are locked in the Cameron Schwab mindlock of kids getting games before they have kicked the door down. Weren't the results of that kind of thinking apparent the last time it was tried?

1 minute ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I should mention that it still baffles me that some still are locked in the Cameron Schwab mindlock of kids getting games before they have kicked the door down. Weren't the results of that kind of thinking apparent the last time it was tried?

That was 'get them to 50 games as quickly as possible and they willl magically become good players', where as I feel this is 'let them get the feel of it for next year'. 

However, I agree re: a finals berth. While I don't think we will, we should be picking the best team possible til we can't 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Exactly.

Also, to not play Trenners if his form demands it would be stupidity in the extreme

Hulett sounds as if he is just about 'knocking on the door' by some accounts from Casey, but the Weed sounds a bit further off.

I know Dawes has, at least so far, been a coach favorite but if we do reach a stage of inevitable 9th or below and Hulett's form warrants it playing him in lieu of Dawes the final few rounds sounds a good idea. He has a footy ready body from all appearances. 

It is interesting, that, My original comments are seen by some of "Putting the Cue on the rack" I can assure you all that I meant no such thing! YES for more wins, YES to a pinch hit at the eight if we are good enough! and YES to "Blooding" Hullett , Weeds and persisting with Clarry Choo Choo!

2 hours ago, Biffen said:

Yeah it shits me too Biff. I was switching radio stations today and all heard was Collingwood, Collingwood ........ Apparently our game up north was a figment of the Demonland imagination.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Yeah it shits me too Biff. I was switching radio stations today and all heard was Collingwood, Collingwood ........ Apparently our game up north was a figment of the Demonland imagination.

Collingwood play Crows in Adelaide next week.... They will get spanked silly and then everyone will be quiet.

I also heard the Channel 7 commentators saying similar things about Richmond when they beat the Gold Coast... I had to chuckle to myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

After looking at last nights game I think the time is now approaching where with the final rounds upon us the opportunity to "Blood" new players is ideal.

I personally wouldn't play Dawes, Trengove,Pedo or Bugg again unless injuries take hold. I would seriously look at keeping  Clarry Chho Choo, White, Stretch and Hunt in for the rest of the year and play Weeds, Hullett and one or two others to see what they have got! A three game run for the big blokes might reveal some options and give us a head start to next season.Time to be bold and daring in selection. The promise of reward is potentially high! 

White , Hunt, Stretch not in doubt unless they need managing or come off the boil over a number of weeks I would think Stu.

Of the others I believe Clarry Is good to go and offers more versatility and impact than Ben Ken. His size and tank needs more managing than the above 3 probably. I realise they are very diff players (Ie, vs BK) but I think Clarry's ability to roll thru the mid and provide some quality clearances bringing others into the game is a huge plus even at this early stage. Fierce at the contest also. 2 games, rest, 3 games rest ...needs to be managed well but reckon getting a few more games into him at the top end wouldn't hurt.

Hullet has an AFL ready bod, is pretty good thru the mid and drifting forward without being spectacular. Maybe bring him in if resting Tracc for a few games. Has a mean edge to him which I like and probably won't take a backward step in the contests. Worth a look over 3 to 4 matches to see where he's at eh.

Weeds is a fair way off AFL at present. Maybe a peek towards the end of next year depending on how we're rolling on the ladder.

GET Tim Smith in for next year as the medium forward who can play higher up with a mature body and lots of VFL experience. Kicks like a mule, reads play well, runs to the right places, uses body well and dead eye dick also. Would be as effective as the other 2 forwards and also offers us some contingency plan should 'you know who' decides he is heading back home, Lucifer forbid!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

Hulett sounds as if he is just about 'knocking on the door' by some accounts from Casey, but the Weed sounds a bit further off.

I know Dawes has, at least so far, been a coach favorite but if we do reach a stage of inevitable 9th or below and Hulett's form warrants it playing him in lieu of Dawes the final few rounds sounds a good idea. He has a footy ready body from all appearances. 

I think Dawes will be vey lucky to come back into the team 'mono' let alone have anyone take his place.