• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

If he's available for a reasonable price then we should go for him because (IMO) he would be instantly best-22. For me, the talk about Melksham is irrelevant, because Hibberd is (slightly) taller but around 10 kg heavier, so he plays a different game and can take on much bigger, marking opponents. Also I was led to believe that Melksham was recruited based on his impressive work at the end of 2015 as a wing/HF?

I see Hibberd as an upgrade on Lumumba, he would play as either 3rd or 4th tall defender depending on matchups. Plus he can kick, which we are sorely lacking right now with Dunn and Salem not back there.

If we had Hibberd in the team I reckon the first choice back 6 (in 2017) would be:

FB: Hibberd  T.Mac  Jetta

HB: Salem    Frost    Wagner

With the option of pushing Salem into the midfield and swapping in Hunt, O.Mac, Dunn, H etc. depending on fitness, form, matchups etc.

Then you have guys like Melksham, Stretch etc. fighting for a spot in the midfield rotation.

As a free agent or 3rd round pick he would be great value, or for a 2nd round pick he would still be good value. 

• Like 4

On 6/10/2016 at 0:30 PM, Fifty-5 said:

Lowest priority on my list is HB.

I would argue that our turnovers from rebounds is our highest stat that contributes goals against so a classy half back would clearly be very handy. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CarnTheDees said:

If he's available for a reasonable price then we should go for him because (IMO) he would be instantly best-22. For me, the talk about Melksham is irrelevant, because Hibberd is (slightly) taller but around 10 kg heavier, so he plays a different game and can take on much bigger, marking opponents. Also I was led to believe that Melksham was recruited based on his impressive work at the end of 2015 as a wing/HF?

I see Hibberd as an upgrade on Lumumba, he would play as either 3rd or 4th tall defender depending on matchups. Plus he can kick, which we are sorely lacking right now with Dunn and Salem not back there.

If we had Hibberd in the team I reckon the first choice back 6 (in 2017) would be:

FB: Hibberd  T.Mac  Jetta

HB: Salem    Frost    Wagner

With the option of pushing Salem into the midfield and swapping in Hunt, O.Mac, Dunn, H etc. depending on fitness, form, matchups etc.

Then you have guys like Melksham, Stretch etc. fighting for a spot in the midfield rotation.

As a free agent or 3rd round pick he would be great value, or for a 2nd round pick he would still be good value. 

He is a great kick also 

Paul Roos on SEN pre game said on Hibberd

"Do we discuss players ? Yes."        

"Have we discussed Michael ? Yes. But I honestly don't know where that's got to." 

Edited by JV7
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Paul Roos on SEN pre game said on Hibberd

"Do we discuss players ? Yes."        

"Have we discussed Michael ? Yes. But I honestly don't know where that's got to." 

That's probably the most forthcoming he has ever been re: targetting of opposition players

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Ruck/Fwd, Class KPB and outside mid class are far higher priorities.

This sort of argument for not going after someone is getting tiresome. You can address multiple priorities at once. Only Salem's disposal can compete with Hibberd's, but the latter can kick it much further. It's a weapon, particularly with the zoning in modern footy. We can get Hibberd AND an A grade mid in Prestia. Not to mention Hibberd would then release Salem further up the field.

Also, if Hurley re-signs with Essendon, who is the KPB option we're going after?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AdamFarr said:

This sort of argument for not going after someone is getting tiresome. You can address multiple priorities at once. Only Salem's disposal can compete with Hibberd's, but the latter can kick it much further. It's a weapon, particularly with the zoning in modern footy. We can get Hibberd AND an A grade mid in Prestia. Not to mention Hibberd would then release Salem further up the field.

Also, if Hurley re-signs with Essendon, who is the KPB option we're going after?

Hurley may decide to see out his contract rather than force his way out this year. If he doesn't extend his current deal, it probably won't hurt to have a few familiar faces on board at Melbourne if we have a red hot crack at getting him as a free agent next year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Hurley may decide to see out his contract rather than force his way out this year. If he doesn't extend his current deal, it probably won't hurt to have a few familiar faces on board at Melbourne if we have a red hot crack at getting him as a free agent next year.

That could well be the case CJ, but that means waiting a year and not fixing this defence everyone seems so keen on tending to. How about instead we fill as many needs as we can at once and allow the defence to continue to develop?

Hurley "re-committing" to the Bombers just means he's seeing out his contract and will become a free agent at the end of next year.

The way the media blow it up to make it seem more significant is pretty laughable, really.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Ruck/Fwd, Class KPB and outside mid class are far higher priorities.

Earlier you mentioned Salem, Lumumba, Melksham, Michie, Hunt, White, Wagner, Jones, Vince and Bugg.  Not all of those are good enough and others will play rotating mid/bench roles.

Michael Hibberd is a better HBF than every one of them.  If he were on our list he'd be one of the first picked in the backline and certainly our best half-back flanker.

I agree that a quality key back is our highest priority, but you can chew gum and walk at the same time.  If you can get a quality defender who immediately makes you better yo do.  Drive off half-back has never been more important.  Having had him in my DT I've seen a lot of Hibberd and he's top notch (notwithstanding a quieter 2015).  He's a great intercept mark, tough as they come and reminds me of a Burchall type.

Geelong recruited Dangerfield (mid), Henderson (key back), Smith (ruck) and Scott Selwood (mid), so it's possible to address more than one issue.

Cream rises to the top and while we may have a number of players who are capable of playing half-back my view is that you get a player who would clearly be your best and let the others battle it out.  Some will make it and some won't.  It's called 'competition'.  

You don't go backwards getting better.

• Like 7

Yes multiple options can be addressed but there is a limit to both trade resource and salary cap so prioritisation has to be done.  A lot players would be nice to have.  HB not the priority for me, I have faith in our current stocks.  For example Bernie is not going to play midfield forever, but he can play HB for long enough into our current cycle when I expect us to be genuinely competitive.

15 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Jon Ralph on Fox Footy just confirmed our interest. I mean, meh. He doesn't really address our needs

So basically, Ralph is confirming he listened to Roos on SEN last night. Thanks for that insight Ralphy.

Hibberd is tough as nails as well as being a great kick and plays taller than he is. Good target.

• Like 6