Demonland Player of the Year - Round 15

Demonland

Just now, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I was unable to watch or listen to the game. Can someone explain what Hunt did that made his 14-possession and 3 tackles game so good? I'm not disputing the assessment - just trying to understand it.

He was electrifying with the ball. 

Worked his arsh off without it. Lots of pressure and second efforts, desperation. Excellent game. 

8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I was unable to watch or listen to the game. Can someone explain what Hunt did that made his 14-possession and 3 tackles game so good? I'm not disputing the assessment - just trying to understand it.

Took the game on at every opportunity, regularly broke the lines and gained a stack of metres-gained from run alone, and topped it off with a beautiful dash through the middle to drill one from 40.

Exciting to watch and improving every game. 

• Like 1

6 Watts (I have to say it was his most complete game yet. Smart with his disposal as always but finally looks aware of his ability and now plays accordingly. He won't ever win the tackle count, but he now contests)

5 Hunt (You had to be there to appreciate what this guy did. His goal reminded me of KB and his defensive work was a bit like Sean Wight.)

4 Jones (A few errors but kept working and easily had Scott Thompson's measure before a reliable last term in defence).

3 Jetta (Clean as ever and when on Betts was the most likely to beat him. But he spent much of the day on Cameron - who is seriously quick)

2 Harmes (Really seemed to enjoy his new role down back and being such a lovely kick helps. Can see him becoming a permanent fixture in the backline).

I had a lot of difficulty finding the sixth best because the above were our only four quarter players, but after much prognostication went for:

1 Garlett (Along with Stretch, he really seemed on his game in the first half and was a major factor in us being two goals up at the main break. Faded after that).

6 Watts - complete game. Played all over the ground and got involved in each place.  He is having an outstanding year.  

5 Jones N - errors took the shine over an otherwise excellent game.  Was consistently involved throughout the whole much.

4 Garlett - just so dangerous around goal.  Thought he outplayed Betts today.  So important to have him firing.

3 Hunt - his use of the ball post-dash was much better today.  Two plays of his in particular got my blood pumping - the intercept mark and dash that lead to a goal, and of course his own goal on the run.  Not a finished product by any stretch, but gee he is exciting to watch.

2 McDonald T - he is fast, fit, strong, and intercepts like a boss. This was all on display today.  His ineffectiveness on the rebound keeps him continues to keep him a rung below the best in the business though.

1 Hogan - looked dangerous as a forward at times.  

Also really liked the game of Billy Stretch.  He is starting to look like a composed user of the ball and is getting on the end of it more, and hitting contests at speed which is great.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Spoils - including several that came after long hard runs to cut off possession, chases, hard ball gets, bursts from congestion and a fantastic goal. 

He tired a bit in the 2nd half but his 2nd quarter was brilliant. He changed the game.

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Spoils - including several that came after long hard runs to cut off possession, chases, hard ball gets, bursts from congestion and a fantastic goal. 

He tired a bit in the 2nd half but his 2nd quarter was brilliant. He changed the game.

21 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

Took the game on at every opportunity, regularly broke the lines and gained a stack of metres-gained from run alone, and topped it off with a beautiful dash through the middle to drill one from 40.

Exciting to watch and improving every game. 

25 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

He was electrifying with the ball. 

Worked his arsh off without it. Lots of pressure and second efforts, desperation. Excellent game. 

Thanks all - much appreciated. In a few years time it will be interesting to compare the three BGS boys from that year (Kelly, Salem, Hunt) to see who's had the best career. That must have been a seriously good Year 12 team.

1 minute ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Thanks all - much appreciated. In a few years time it will be interesting to compare the three BGS boys from that year (Kelly, Salem, Hunt) to see who's had the best career. That must have been a seriously good Year 12 team.

Salem and Kelly (who will be the best) likely played a lot of TAC. But Robert Shaw was probably pleased he didn't have to give up Hunt, even if he was stick thin and unpolished.

Kelly, Salem, Freeman, Zac Merrett, Karl Amon and a bottom aged Angus Brayshaw would've made a pretty handy TAC midfield at Sandringham Dragons that year.

6 Jetta... never beaten

5 Watts ... creative and skilled

4 N.Jones... tough, always pushed it forward

3 Hunt... pace through the lines

2 Harmes... tough and skilled

1 Garlett... always dangerous

Hogan fumbled, dropped marks and played for free kicks. He should be looking in the mirror tonight. Did he give his best... not in my eyes. He should have lifted when it was in the balance. Two goals were from free kicks.

• Like 1

6. Watts (Easily in his top 5-6 performances for the club)

5. N.Jones (Skipper simply being the skipper)

4. Garlett (What a return!)

3. Hunt (This kid can seriously play. Would love to see him push into the midfield more)

2. TMac (Had it all to do in our back 50 and did very well. Reminiscent of his early 2015 form)

1. Jetta (Always beat his man or at least broke even)

Honourable mentions to Stretch and Harmes who really impressed me on return. 

I hope Hunt gets a Rising Star nomination, he is a line breaker and generates excitement.

Watts - 6

Garlett - 5

Hunt - 4

Jetta - 3

Jones. N. - 2

McDonald. T. - 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Seems like our two stars today (Hunt and Watts) and our disappointment (Dawes) all graduated from the Robert Shaw / BGS Football Academy. (Salem is our other Academy graduate.)

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Didn't see the game either but heard Roosey at his post match pressed call his 14 possession game one of the best he has seen for contested possession, running, bringing others into the game, his defensive efforts and his running goal. So I guess his game wasn't too bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

He is a beautiful and ravishing gazelle! 

I heart Jayden Hunt!  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Hogan... Two goals were from free kicks.

Might as well just scratch them off the score then eh?

Both free kicks were definitely there and genuinely inhibited him from contesting.  You couldn't be sure they wouldn't have been goals anyway had he not been illegally blocked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

BGS has had a great senior football team for a few years now.

They've won the  APS championship two years in a row.

6.  Watts - worked his azz off playing both forward and back, and giving Max an occasional chop out in the ruck, and was a significant contributor in all roles.  Surely one of our most consistent players in 2016.

5.  Jetta - back to the Nev we have come to value so much, after a couple of lean weeks.  The perfect role player, and unlike some others, his disposal and choice of option under pressure were excellent.

4.  Hunt - electrifying, courageous and desperate, and really starting to find his feet at this level.  Not a high posession getter, but some of his efforts yesterday do not show up on the stats sheets.

3.  T. Mac - one of his best games for the year imo.  Played on one of the best KPF's in the business and curbed his influence to a fair degree.  Took some telling defensive marks which undoubtedly helped contain the final defecit.  I love that his first instinct is to take the attacking option, but ........

2.  N. Jones  -  a high posession game but didn't make the most of them.  To be fair, most of his possies were under pressure in the guts, where he was battered from pillar to post, but his ordinary disposal did take some of the gloss off what could have been a stellar game.

1.  Garlett  -  adds an important dimension to our forward set-up and it was great to have him back and in form.  Was always a threat to kick a goal and his defensive pressure was solid.