Lloyd goes 'whack' - Melbourne a club in search of a heart

i don't like the bloke as a footballer (velvet sledgehammer is just about the greatest nickname in afl history, imo), but unfortunately he doesn't get a lot wrong in this column.

Bashing the Melbourne Football Club is not the aim of this column - they have received more than their fair share of criticism over many years - but how to deal with a culture of a club that defies the best attempts to turn it around. How they can possibly drag themselves out of the mire which they continually find themselves in, year after year?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-melbourne-a-club-in-search-of-a-heart-20160409-go2h29.html#ixzz45NILzpvb 

• Like 1

Mathew Lloyd was a sensationlal player! Would have loved him at the dees, mentally tough , hard competitor and proven brilliant goal kicker! His argument regarding our culture is spot on! Well written Lloydy!!

• Like 1

I don't generally read illiterates.

I congratulate him on being able to put words on paper.

I'm rather shocked because he can't even really speak properly.

Why should the intellectually disadvantaged be prohibited from journalism?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

i don't like the bloke as a footballer (velvet sledgehammer is just about the greatest nickname in afl history, imo), but unfortunately he doesn't get a lot wrong in this column.

Bashing the Melbourne Football Club is not the aim of this column - they have received more than their fair share of criticism over many years - but how to deal with a culture of a club that defies the best attempts to turn it around. How they can possibly drag themselves out of the mire which they continually find themselves in, year after year?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-melbourne-a-club-in-search-of-a-heart-20160409-go2h29.html#ixzz45NILzpvb 

Yet he did just that. Especially with the headline. Im not saying we didnt deserve a whack after last weekend, or that what he was saying wasn't accurate. But if you're going to bash a team, then don't say that's not your aim. 

We certainly didn't do ourselves any favours with losing last weekend. 

It's all mental with our players, NAB cup and Round 1 they appeared upbeat and pumped, last week they were deflated. I don't know what it is, but I really have my concerns for the club.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Yet he did just that. Especially with the headline. Im not saying we didnt deserve a whack after last weekend, or that what he was saying wasn't accurate. But if you're going to bash a team, then don't say that's not your aim. 

Editors do headlines 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I don't generally read illiterates.

I congratulate him on being able to put words on paper.

I'm rather shocked because he can't even really speak properly.

Why should the intellectually disadvantaged be prohibited from journalism?

Prohibited? I thought it was a prerequisite.

• Like 1

Havnt read the article but Possibly the greatest stager in the games history thowing himself forward or stopping to let a player run into his back , (daniher last week)  has bashed the mfc at every opportunity. He has softened recently in his tone why because goodwin is taking over - his bombers buddy . Flog 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

Bashing or telling it how it is? All in the perception. 

And how many times does it need to be said - the journos don't write the headlines the sub-editors do.

• Like 2

This is just Melbourne bashing disguised as concern. He, Brereton and slobbo robbo. They just can't resist putting the boots in. It doesn't help anything. It perpetuates the myth that MFC are no good and will never be any good because the players have been mentally weak for fifty years. Make no mistake that's their aim because they are biased by their one eyed love for their chosen clubs. It's absolute bulldust.

Edited by Diamond
Because
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Editors do headlines 

yes true...I suppose im just sick of having to read, and hear from all ,the commentators kicking us. I was reading the article about StKilda 66 triumph and how everyone loved the saints despite there abysmal record before and after, and the  littany of on and off field dramas. We're just a shite team that gets no love. Yes we've been as bad as the worst teams in the history of the game this last decade, yet it seems we're despised for that way more than other crap teams.  ....maybe we deserve all we get, I just  think we're the hardest team to follow somehow. If I didnt love this club so much Id have to hate them.

11 minutes ago, Diamond said:

This is just Melbourne bashing disguised as concern. He, Brereton and slobbo robbo. They just can't resist putting the boots in. It doesn't help anything. It perpetuates the myth that MFC are no good and will never be any good because the players have been mentally weak for fifty years. Make no mistake that's their aim because they are biased by their one eyed love for their chosen clubs. It's absolute bulldust.

No it is not Bulldust at all mate

it is pure REALITY sadly...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

yes true...I suppose im just sick of having to read, and hear from all ,the commentators kicking us. I was reading the article about StKilda 66 triumph and how everyone loved the saints despite there abysmal record before and after, and the  littany of on and off field dramas. We're just a shite team that gets no love. Yes we've been as bad as the worst teams in the history of the game this last decade, yet it seems we're despised for that way more than other crap teams.  ....maybe we deserve all we get, I just  think we're the hardest team to follow somehow. If I didnt love this club so much Id have to hate them.

We do deserve all we get after last week 

To throw that Shite up in Roosy's 3rd year

only The MFC could do that

Get ANGRY Wells11 not defensive

FCS!!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No it is not Bulldust at all mate

it is pure REALITY sadly...

Reality is only for people who can't handle their drugs.

You of all people should know that.

• Like 3

We have had a total change of personnel - to replace previous personnel who were previously replaced -  so it ain't something in the players' heads, it never was. I would go further and say if Luke Beveridge was at Melbourne or Alistair Clarkson was at Melbourne the team would be in absolutely no better position. The 'groupthink' on Melbourne in Victorian football is that we are a failed club. You can't buy the jumpers in kmart, kids don't support them in primary school and snide comments abound in the workplace. pLayers that make a difference won't come to Melbourne, and players who could make a difference and are at Melbourne say, 'they will get back to you' when it comes to signing on for long-term contracts. it's a bit galling to see footscray come out of nowhere and zoom right to the top of the ladder while we trudge through Yarra park after another never-ending loss, or listening on the tranny to yet another interstate thrashing, knowing that next year and the year after will be no different. we are subject to forces greater than us, the comp. can't really hold this many vic. clubs so our holding position is in the lower reaches of the table. 

It's not exactly breaking new ground or adding any insight. I guess he was told 'hey, we need an article related to Melbourne to run before the game on sunday'., and couldn't be bothered actually talking about any changes or the circumstances of the game or, y;know, anythingt hat would require looking stuff up.

Still got paid. So, I guess it is the journalistic equivalent of diving for a free and getting a goal out of it.

• Like 1

Whist we are rubbish, we're going to have articles written to that effect. It's that simple and FWIW, I don't think Lloyd's article is too bad.

It's just going to take time and the continual removal of damaged goods from the club. Garland is a prime example.

Edited by Django
  • Like 1