• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I can't stop watching ...

picket fence

Round 22 season 1987 Footscay Vs Melbourne at the Western Oval. Thank God I kept the Video and copied it onto DVD.

Unfortunately only got the second half from the excellent channel 2 program, "The Winners" majestically compered by Tim Lane!

Flower, Stynes, Wilson, Stretch, Lovett, Spalding, Wight, Yeats all very prominent!

Ahhh the visceral intoxication eminating from this win still resonates and lives on and on!

Feel free, posters to add your own memorial highlight, from our history knowing that in the not too distant future we will be replaying yet to come highlights again and again!

One gripe, only got second half, sheeit anyone got access to full game would be a treat!

Cheers all Fence!

• Like 1

I'm too young to remember this match Picket - but I've spent quite a few summer hours watching our previous season's wins at least 3 times each and can't wait for the bounce of the ball in 2016. Boys are looking good and hopefully by the end of the first few rounds we're mentioning some new names in a similar vain.

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Round 22 season 1987 Footscay Vs Melbourne at the Western Oval. Thank God I kept the Video and copied it onto DVD.

Unfortunately only got the second half from the excellent channel 2 program, "The Winners" majestically compered by Tim Lane!

Flower, Stynes, Wilson, Stretch, Lovett, Spalding, Wight, Yeats all very prominent!

Ahhh the visceral intoxication eminating from this win still resonates and lives on and on!

Feel free, posters to add your own memorial highlight, from our history knowing that in the not too distant future we will be replaying yet to come highlights again and again!

One gripe, only got second half, sheeit anyone got access to full game would be a treat!

Cheers all Fence!

I think the Second half is all that lives on Pick..'87 was the year Channel 7 nearly went under and then was "saved" by Christopher Skase until he of course did the runner..

I have some Videos from that year that were produced by SPORTSPLAY but they no longer exist

The ABC covered VFL in '87 but they certainly did not save all of each game...Back up the Copy of what you have..

"Cover yourself in Glory Son...."

What about the following 2 finals how easy was this finals caper i thought 11 years old wide eyed , still reckon Flower should've run around for 1 more season he could've sat in the pocket all year and booted 45 goals.

• Like 1

Nice reminder PF ... always good to reminisce on better days.

Here's the 2 clips from the game ... was at the game and it remains a major highlight. I remember the day like it was yesterday ... the game was a beauty and the Hawks played their part by knocking off Geelong to allow us to play in our first finals series for 23 years (fairly sure Hawthorn came from 3 goals down in the time-on period of that game to get up)

Ultimately, that same Hawthorn team ended up knocking us out of the premiership race by beating us in that year's preliminary final ... great times, all the same.

The team was obviously playing for some September action and it showed - we were a damn good team and we ended up playing in 5 finals series in a row in that Northey era. The era started off with the team being a very young side but that didn't seem to matter to these young blokes. We were brash, confident, skillful and we attacked the ball hard (consistently)

The Willo goal at about 3.35 in was a big moment ... Brett Lovett started that attack (what a pick up!) There is another magical moment to come later on in part 2.

1987 - Round 22 Footscray vs Melbourne (part 1)

1987 - Round 22 Footscray vs Melbourne (part 2)

And here's that Hawks/Cats finish played in that last round of 1987 ...

1987 - Round 22 Geelong vs Hawthorn

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

I worked with one of the players of the day who was out injured.

He told me on the Monday that John Sell told the players at 3/4 time the Hawks couldn't be beaten.

Said the strategy certainly worked.

I was behind the goals and Ill never forget Willos goal.

A lot of the fans stayed at the Melbourne end behind the goals for half an hour after the game. Plenty of emotion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tilly18 said:

I worked with one of the players of the day who was out injured.

He told me on the Monday that John Sell told the players at 3/4 time the Hawks couldn't be beaten.

Said the strategy certainly worked.

I was behind the goals and Ill never forget Willos goal.

A lot of the fans stayed at the Melbourne end behind the goals for half an hour after the game. Plenty of emotion.

We probably said hello!

Still my greatest memory as a young Dee, it was always a dream to see us play in September and for much of my childhood it was never achievable, I enjoyed seeing us put together good runs of stringing together wins here and there and I remember 1984 when we put a really good run together mid season but by the time September was approaching we had dropped off, apart from that period in my childhood following the Dees there was nothing to really get excited about.  Mid 1987 looked like just another year which was our best ever and sure I had the Night Premiership to hang my hat on.  I recalled seeing the Bombers win the Night flag around 81 or 82 and I hoped we would in time develop like they did.  I still don't know how it happened but as September approached it was just another year for us, we put wins together 2 became 3 and it looked like we were at least finishing the season well and maybe those kids who won the Night Flag were going to develop like the Bombers and be pushing for finals in 1989.  3 wins became 4 and now we were an outside chance, it was unlikely I knew that sure I was a Dees supporter and as a child of the 70's I didn't have the memories of those who were fortunate enough to have been born in my fathers time.

So I woke up that Saturday morning expecting a galant effort but as per the norm my Dees would lose and I would again watch the kids who followed the Hawks, Roos, Blues and Bombers ( I know they didn't make it but FMD they were unbearable through those flag years) pumping their chest out through September.  As usual on a Saturday me Da did some odd jobs around the house before we headed to local footy in the afternoon and I was listening to the game on radio.  Da  was a North Fan at the time and in between jobs he popped his head in every now and again to check the scores.  Halfway through the third, I remember Da saying well your not far away now son maybe next year.  I guess like many of the younger Demonlanders who have lived through the last 10 years the 70's and 80's were very much like that.  Dreams never came true for us and I was resigned to missing out again.

I grabbed my jacket and headed out with me Da for the drive to a local game, we listened to the game on the car radio as we always did and I still wanted my boys to get over the line desperately even if the Cats were going to ruin my day.  All of a sudden it turned and we got on a roll against the Dogs I didn't start to believe but like most kids the win was all that mattered, September was something I wasn't thinking about until they kept crossing to Kardinia for score updates.

Like all kids growing up in that time who didn't follow them I hated the Hawks, I wanted the kids who followed them to go through what we had for so long, at that time I wasn't aware of what their supporters had gone through for so long before the 70's and 80's, all i knew was they were the loudest supporters in the schoolyard and I hated them.  But now as it was within touching distance, we were kicking away from the Dogs and I was now willing the Hawks to lift there game against the Cats and make my dream come true. My Da even said to me you boys are a chance here and he was now cheering for the Dees.  I remember the roar of the crowd which at the time I thought was the final siren and a win for the Dees,  but me Da said shhh!"THE HAWKS ARE IN FRONT.

Those last few moments went on forever I was fearing the worst, surely it couldn't happen.  We listened in silence and when the final score from Geelong came through we both gave an almighty roar.  It was and still is my greatest footballing memory, at the time I never understood why my father was so enthusiastic in cheering for a team he didn't follow.  Being a father now I fully understand he was sharing my dreams listening to the last quarter.  The innocence of a father and son enjoying happiness together, me the sheer joy as a supporter and me Da being able to witness it as a parent.

Da forked out some hard earned dollars and we were there for the elimination final which was magical and the rollercoaster kept going on for another 3 weeks.  I cried my eyes out when Bucky nailed that kick at Waverley but nothing could dampen that September for me and those moments my father and I shared that Saturday afternoon in the old Kingswood.

Thank god 2007 to 2013 is behind us I have memories of the dark days of the early 80's turning to August 1987 and beyond, I remember the shocking years of 96 & 97 turning to the yo-yo's of the late 90's and early noughties and the years of 2004 to 06 which were our chance that we wasted as each September approached.  I may be well into my 40's but when our time comes again that crazy 15 year old kid from 1987 will appear again cheering like a lunatic kicking and handballing every possession, spoiling every entry into our defensive half and living every tackle.

Go Dees

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 12

On January 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM, picket fence said:

If you go to the "Part two" you tube link that Macca provided, there's a poster named Michael Anselmi  who says he has the whole match on VHS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejvjb2zQ3ps

How good was Sean Wight. Always so dependable in the backline and IMO was highly underrated. Although he played most of his junior footy in Ireland he was actually Scottish, born in Glasgow.

Peter Walsh was another highly underrated player too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bush demon said:

The first half Footscray had the upper hand from memory, and Robbie couldn't get his hands on it. Wasn't till the third quarter that Robbie and the team lifted. 

Losing G Lyon in the first Q didn't help. Was a brilliant effort to win once that had happened

The night grand final that year (my "I can't stop watching...") was a precursor to the events at the end of the year. I saw it interstate (maybe it wasn't broadcast in Melbourne?) Buzzed! I did not get to sleep that night!