2015 Player Review - # 5 Jimmy Toumpas

Demonland

Like every team in the competition they have drafted players that have not met expectations and some who played only a few games and vanished into the vapour (lower grade football)

Jimmy i still think can be ok at AFL level but his progress indicates to me he will never reach a standard we would expect from a high draft pick

An outside Midfielder is NOT what we need and we should replace him with a draft pick (second rounder) or better yet one from next years draft

The ideal Midfielder should be both in the modern game

Dominant players in schoolboy or lower grade football are NOT automatic stars in the AFL

Fyfe was pick 20 which indicates to me that every draft their will be a GEM somewhere

Tapscott was picked at 18 remember

The if only we selected Ollie Wines has been done to death

We need to move on and do our very best in getting more draft picks right than wrong

A bit of mongrel and ruthlessness aka Viney would help

• Like 1

I don't think Toumpas will make it. Mentally he looks fragile, he always panics and he looks weak. He doesn't put enough air in his handballs, and regularly turns them over. I don't see him performing on the inside, and he looks sluggish on the outside. He is a good user of the football, but that should be minimum standard anyway. I would offload Toumpas for a bag of chips if I could, never have I been more certain of a player not making the grade.

Bigfooty post that was put up by an Adelaide supporter, and then taken down not long after. Didn't copy, but the gist of it is:

Uncontracted Adelaide player (no names) wants to return to Melbourne. Adelaide want to move up the draft and get more mileage from the likely pick 9 they'll get from Geelong.

So ...

Pick 6 and Toumpas to Adelaide, pick 9 and uncontracted player back to Melbourne.

For interest's sake only ...

Bigfooty post that was put up by an Adelaide supporter, and then taken down not long after. Didn't copy, but the gist of it is:

Uncontracted Adelaide player (no names) wants to return to Melbourne. Adelaide want to move up the draft and get more mileage from the likely pick 9 they'll get from Geelong.

So ...

Pick 6 and Toumpas to Adelaide, pick 9 and uncontracted player back to Melbourne.

Would have sounded much better if it had a touch of reality about it. Problem is that Port Adelaide are after him, not Adelaide and the source is allegedly a Bigfooty post that's not even visible.

Blokes a dud!

I'd trade him for a half eaten mars bar, epic fail from MFC, again.....

Thanks for some quality posting on a bloke who apparently is an absolute ripper. Your contribution on here is (as I'm sure it is elsewhere) is greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

actually i dont care if he does. What players end up doing elsewhere is effectively irrelevant. Its what they are at the MFC that does. Jimmy aint clicking with us...lets keep looking for those that can/might.

So many just want to hold on to players out of fear.Ask any advertising guru whats the best motive in selling. FEAR. Once youre free of that youre free to actually grow. Thats what we as a club need to do. Rid ourselves of fear...and give ourselves chances to really improve.

Its not about Jimmy per se...its about us. He doesn't improve us. Find some that will.

I often find your sage advice a bit bitter (maybe not wrong), bit on this I feel 100% concurrence. In many ways JT suffers from the expectations we put on Watts

So ...

Must be a pretty damn good player coming back if we're upgrading their first rounder.

I say give him 2 more year Barney....

for what..an outside mid maybe? We'll be swimming in them soon.

We need grunt..horsepower. .he aint

Whether we keep or trade Toumpas is naturally a judgement call.

He clearly has talent, however, he is a slow developer. Like many others.

Will he develop into a top-line AFL player? Maybe. He has been restricted by injury.

Also, he has not had much game time to develop confidence in his own game and that of his teammates.

There are others (you know the ones) who selectors have persevered with despite indifferent form and low possession count.

Toumpas is one of those guys who has got something.

But how long do you wait? That is the question.

In two years time, he could be an established top-line player or still be a fringe player.

What I do know is that the MFC has to be hard headed in its decision. There are clearly project players (Max King) that can be allowed time to develop.

However you cant have too many young players that are on the long term development list.

The MFC has to develop the best team possible in the shortest possible time.

I would not trade Toumpas for another young player that needs development time.

i would trade him for a player ready to go.

• Like 3

I am not a fan however I am a little ambivalent about him.

If he stays ( which I doubt ) i hope he improves if he leaves and turns out good so be it.

I won't be wringing my hands either way.

• Like 2

I am not a fan however I am a little ambivalent about him.

If he stays ( which I doubt ) i hope he improves if he leaves and turns out good so be it.

I won't be wringing my hands either way.

• Like 1

I'd trade him for a half eaten mars bar, epic fail from MFC, again.....

Looking forward to seeing you take the field in your first game at AFL level. When can we expect to see you and which team?

• Like 2

Bit of a gamble associated with Toump, could fulfil his potential and imo has shown glimpses, but he could also provide more of the same which is simply not enough