FAREWELL DANIEL CROSS

La Dee-vina Comedia

And that is your prerogative - but just watching his performance and attitude compared to others at the club - he looked to be ahead of others 'in the gun' so to speak.

There's nothing to say that the others "in the gun" aren't going to suffer a similar outcome. Problem is for supporters, the Football Department just can't pull the trigger on those before him, especially as there is still a game to go.

Be patient, I'm sure the Cross decision will make sense before Round 1, 2016.

I agree Cross has been great for us, but this is the right move. As I've been told by a number of Doggies folk, if he were still in our starting side next year the club would be in real trouble. The fact is that for all his hardness, marking and leadership, he can't go with his man defensively and that leads to us being broken down. It's for exactly that reason that the doggies decided they couldn't keep playing him. I really hope that he does take up the development role with the club, because he can still have an enormous impact on the side by mentoring the kids and showing them how they need to prepare themselves.

• Like 2

There's nothing to say that the others "in the gun" aren't going to suffer a similar outcome. Problem is for supporters, the Football Department just can't pull the trigger on those before him, especially as there is still a game to go.

Be patient, I'm sure the Cross decision will make sense before Round 1, 2016.

well i can see the cross decision makes some sense on some levels

on the other hand i can see giving him another year also makes sense

i don't think we will be any wiser come round 1 2016 though

retirement timing is always difficult in cases like this, for both sides

crossy is however going out on a high note and i suppose that will always be seen as at least one positive aspect

If Cross was happy to play at Casey for the season (in a worst case scenario for him) I'd have kept him.

Oh, and what an interesting use of the word "retired". He was sacked/delisted.

You should probably take up the language of "retired" with the club.

I would have kept him for a year too, but I wouldn't have wanted to play him - and at the end of the day is that a good way to use a list spot? Especially if he sticks around in an off field capacity.

"Not offered a new deal by the club".

Well done Roosy and co...

:unsure:

It's a harsh game and he wasn't getting any quicker.

Comparing Cross's 'retirement' with Junior's exit from the club is ludicrous.

Junior was the captain (was also faster and a better kick) and had given everything he had to the club. Delisting him ripped some of the soul out of the club' fabric.

Cross has been terrific for the group in setting standards and his professionalism. But he has become markedly slower and his skills have deteriorated.

I would have been happy for him to have another year but am not to upset that he doesn't.

I do hope he sccepts an off field role with us.

• Like 2

Ouch! Spewing. He had another year of good footy in him. He is 33 not 43! It doesn't sit that well I reckon. There's zero chance he'll accept a coaching role at Melbourne. He busts his but for two years, busts his leg literally, it heals in about a minute and half and he is back on the track in two minutes! This is the type of warrior we still need next year. No contract offer.

I'm dissappointed for him, I thank him very much and I wish him well in his life after footy.

Thanks for your shift Crossy. Solid.

• Like 2

Absolutely filthy at this decision. Easily had one more left in him,such a Melbourne trait to do this to player who gave his all even in the short two years. Not to mention racked up 39 last week. Was playing solid in the backline and with the likelihood of Howe leaving would of been handy next year.

Me too. Cross was fantastic in his efforts and it is a perfect insult not to offer him one more year. If I had any doubts about the wisdom of our football department I have none now. I can now see clearly why we are going nowhere. They are constantly making decisions which inhibit our progress. Ask yourselves the question: Why have we been left so far behind the likes of North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and even the Saints? I guess it all started with Junior's sacking and refusing Bruce a 2 year contract which he deserved to get. Robbo too was given his marching orders. Were Yze and Green also gently pushed? Crazy. A big shake up needed here.

Fantastic career and contribution to the club, his influence will have rubbed off on alot of our young blokes!

And to think he's only been here for 5 min and done more than some who been here their entire careers.

One thing for me is that he put in effort 100% of the time which is something that others could follow.

Good luc Crossy.

• Like 1

Was great drifting back back in defence but made us look slow,his man often streaking away from him.

Others in the too slow brigade are Dunn,Pedersen,Dawes.

It doesn't help that we can't kick a ball 20m to a target or handball 3.

What a disgrace decision by the club. Who the hell is running the list management when you sign spuds like Dean Terlich and Matt Jones to 2 years yet we decided not to renew a champion player. Even if he played half a year at Casey it would have been immense development for our young kids.

People are kidding themselves if they think he will stay on. He is obviously disappointed and upset on the 7 news update. And looks like he had a few disagreements with the club. And so he should! He has every right to ask questions why? Hos performance on the weekend showed that he is still willing to bust his ass while we have giys like Watts Howe and Garland who continue to put in [censored] weak efforts every week.

[censored] not happy.

What a disgrace decision by the club. Who the hell is running the list management when you sign spuds like Dean Terlich and Matt Jones to 2 years yet we decided not to renew a champion player. Even if he played half a year at Casey it would have been immense development for our young kids.

People are kidding themselves if they think he will stay on. He is obviously disappointed and upset on the 7 news update. And looks like he had a few disagreements with the club. And so he should! He has every right to ask questions why? Hos performance on the weekend showed that he is still willing to bust his ass while we have giys like Watts Howe and Garland who continue to put in [censored] weak efforts every week.

[censored] not happy.

I also wouldn't blame him if he decides to walk, however I think it's nice of the club to say to him that we think we need to give youth a go but you are invaluable and we want to still give you a job and an income. This isn't the case for 99% of players who retire, and I'm sure he appreciates that.

It is exactly what we needed to do with Junior, but of course we burnt that bridge like the unprofessional organisation we were.

I would be thrilled if he stayed on as a development coach, and I hope that deep down he understands and appreciates that we extended his career by 2 years and potentially given him a role beyond his playing days.

• Like 2

Mixed feelings, but it probably is the right decision and hopefully he'll take the position offered.

Congratulations on a quality career Crossy, you can hold your head high, fantastic contribution at two Clubs. Well done we really needed what you could offer and you delivered in spades.

• Like 1

The Bulldogs supporters were equally gutted 2 years ago in losing Crossy. Probably more so. Ultimate professional who gets the best out of himself. I find this one a poor decision on face value of what he offers to the Mfc, not just off field - but on it!

I can't explain the clubs decision.

Cross sets an example, just as his speech to the players, indicates. Hard working, humble, even when told his time has 'come around, full circle.'

Cheers, Crossy. Thanks for your professionalism.

I really was looking forward to seeing DC running around for one more year. He has much to teach...and maybe still can. A player /coaching role via Casey would be ideal perhaps.

I have a lump in my throat after watching his speech to the team. His body language said he didn't want to go.

Well done DC. You are a fabulous role model and I hope you stick around the club.

• Like 2

It was the correct decision. I doubt he would have been much value as a 33 year old, but even if he was still best 22 it's a sensible list management decision..

Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Trengove, Petracca, Salem, Stretch, ANB, Kent are the future and we've already got Jones, Vince and Lamumba.

Signing Toumpas for another 2 years would have also influenced the decision.

Edited by ProDee

thanks for the 2 years Daniel you have been a great asset. I agree it is time to move you from a leader to a teacher, we have a lot of younger players would benefit from you teaching them one on one now as a coach. I just hope we don't go through the same sort of anguish on this board when matt jones and terlich 'retire'.

If this is true then this is a shocking indictment on club management.

He has been one of the few "Stellar" performers for this club for two years.

If true I will be emailing the club and asking

Why should I continue to shell out my heard earned when those that earn't respect as a result of playing for the jumper have been let down so dismally!

:mad:

Not happy!!

It's the right call. He was a good influence, but he's been found out quite a few times due to poor disposal and lack of speed. The deal was always for 2 years with the idea of an off field role. Best of both worlds I think.