Ramifications of a loss this weekend

True Heart

A loss would push Carl above both Bris and GCS meaning carl would miss out on either of the two standout KPP in the draft.

Carlton will Kreuzer cruise comfortably to defeat.

Bigger ramifications at Princes Park than at MFC if we lose.

• Like 1

Im just throwing a figure out there but no doubt it set us back... every crushing defeat is another kick in the guts for the club and playing group.

The GWS was one of the worst... as I recall they were down to zero fit men on the bench by the 4th quarter, and still beat us by over 10 goals.

Being at that game was heartbreaking. GWS had also put many players under the knife already and then to put up a performance like that was terrible. But we got over it, moved on, and for the most part, that match is now forgotten. No one gave a flying you know what about that game when we beat Collingwood 2 weeks ago, and losing this match would be no different

• Like 2

The fact there is a sense of dread about playing the 18th placed side who have been a basketcase all year says a lot about how far we have yet to go.

I'm trying not to think about the result and am focussing instead on the excitement of seeing all of Viney, Salem, Brayshaw, Stretch, Neal-Bullen and Harmes running around together. Play our cards right and those six lads could one day be playing together in a premiership side.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

I’d take a loss against Carlton if we won against Fremantle and GWS. Each individual loss is relatively meaningless. All that matters is our performance across each season; it has to get better every year until we win a flag. If not, THEN there might be some ramifications.

• Like 1

Carlton is absolutely bona fide BROKEN.

If we lose, it wont be informative about specific deficiencies, it wont guide us on the kinds of players we should be recruiting or the ways we should adjust our tactics. All it will do is give our season a neat piece of punctuation.

For history's pages, our season summary reads either;

Lose:

"Melbourne 2015; a few surprise wins when they were up and their opponents had an off day, but nothing to suggest they are anything more than a perpetual cellar-dweller. Melbourne's wins and losses depend more on the motivation of their opponents than their own ability. Late in the season each of St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton knocked them over on effort alone, and the continuing fragility of the players was exposed by another season featuring 10 and 15 goal losses."

Win:

"Melbourne 2015; A mid-late season slump between their wins over Geelong and Collingwood cost them games they should have won and leaves the Demons only able to claim incremental improvement in 2015. However, 7 wins, including against some much higher rated opponents, has been enough to set them apart as the best of the group of teams which were not in contention for finals in 2015."

• Like 3

Two things. I still think about the before mentioned 80% fitness Factor coming into a lot of our games

and I also feel this is one of the times we will be up for and out of the boxes into immediately.

Been wrong before but who cares....

I’d take a loss against Carlton if we won against Fremantle and GWS. Each individual loss is relatively meaningless. All that matters is our performance across each season; it has to get better every year until we win a flag. If not, THEN there might be some ramifications.

That's right. No individual match really matters until you're in finals contention.

I cannot believe how negative people are. I would rather have beaten Geelong, Doggies, Tigers and Collingwood than beaten St Kilda and Essendon. Yet everyone whinges about losing to St Kilda and Essendon all the time. I'd also rather beat the Doggies once and get belted by them once, than have two honourable 15 point losses.

Although this might seem like a renegade notion to most on here, I think the club is on the right path and can't wait until next year.

• Like 1

The dees have this game. They are due to bounce back and are playing the worst list in the comp.

We beat them last year when they were supposed to be an ok team. We were rubbish last year.

These are not the same old demons.Have faith.

I'm trying not to think about the result and am focussing instead on the excitement of seeing all of Viney, Salem, Brayshaw, Stretch, Neal-Bullen and Harmes running around together. Play our cards right and those six lads could one day be playing together in a premiership side.

Now where have I heard that before?

• Like 1

As is normal for Demonland, everyone thinks it's either a meaningless game, or a game so vital that a loss will set us back years.

It's neither of those. It's important - for a club like us, every game is important. But a loss will not ruin us, as much as it will disappoint and embarrass us.

Don't want to sound negative BUT I think a loss this weekend against Carlton would be the breaking point for some, players and fans included.

This is a must win game for our direction as a club. We rarely perform against clubs we are expected to win.

A loss this weekend would be the biggest loss in our history.

Lets hope we win!

can there truly be a winner from this game tomorrow, as the blues are sailing in the Weitering race ???

its just a joke & the AFL COMMISSION have sat on their fingers, for far too long; Re the raffling of the National Draft picks 1 - 8

this tanking stuff is ruining the game for supporters, going to games, & on TV.

how can anyone win, when one teams trying to lose ?

I normally ignore the boilerplate platitudes, obfuscations and prevarications from players in the media - but this is not the first time we have had some refreshing honesty from Tommy Mac. Looks like he (for one) is deadset keen for a win tomorrow... talking about beating Freo is perhaps going a bit too far.

"Six wins is really disappointing," McDonald said.

"I thought we might be ahead of that, there's a lot of games we should have won and could have won and that will really annoy us when we look back through the year.

"Six wins is still a fail mark for me and my expectations for the year.

"It's not really good enough but if we can win the last three games of the year, nine wins looks a little bit better."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-22/six-wins-a-fail