Some serious questions asked about Paul Roos ...

dazzledavey36

18 months into his tenure and I feel we still haven't improved much from 2014.. yeah are one win ahead but his game plan is simply pathetic. Club like GWS WB and St Kilda are ahead of us in development and game style. They play a fast and free flowing game where we still play a very one minded defensive game plan. Roosy needs to seriously consider whether he wants to go on ahead next year. I was a big advocate for him going around again but i can't simply see us improving much at all next year if he keeps going the way he is.

I seriously hope Goodwin brings in a much more attacking style..

This St Kilda is the last straw for me this year. Not watching any more games. Why should supporters sit through this and watch us stink it up with a dull and boring game plan.

Dazzle man I share your comments

Sheeit mate just so

It feels like a death in the family!

Over it!

Our best this year is better than our best was last year.

Our worst, however, is still like it was last year - slow, meek, unskilled, lazy, lack of effort, no structure, just not a team. And that, IMO, is simply not good enough.

Something about "a chain is only as good as its weakest link" comes to mind. I do not see where we have improved at all other than 1 more win which says nothing because last year there were two games that come to mind that we should have won and did not (Bulldogs in particular).

We have gone backwards this year on that logic given we were within a few points of the Saints just weeks ago and lost by 6 goals today.

Like others on here I would like to have it explained to me where we have improved (other than we have won 1 more game). I feel dumb as a box of hammers because so many believe we have and I just can't see it.

• Like 1

Our players have ended other coaches careers before and it looks like they are trying their best to do so again. I'm not trying to give excuses for Roos but he might've introduced more to the gameplan and the players can't handle it. Something has changed since our early form in the year that's for sure. If Roos hasn't tinkered or added more to the plan then the players have simply dropped off.

Roos just said the low tackle count was the most disappointing part of the game.

Which game was he watching?

Well, it says everything about work rate.

Forget this Roos defensive rugby,the best defense is to attack,just ask Hawthorn.

We don't have the skills to implement Hawthorn's game plan.

I dont think we were outcoached we were just poor.

Agree.

We were flat from the opening bounce, flacid, disinterested and unable to penetrate... or generate any interest.

• Like 4

Agree.

We were flat from the opening bounce, flacid, disinterested and unable to penetrate... or generate any interest.

Sounds like a mate of mine that is having some, Ahhh problems at night! Not that we are any better at night either!

It's even more embarrassing than 2 years ago. Roos is simply not improving this club. Time to look outside again. One day we will get it right.....................like in 2075 or thereabouts. Players are no better equipped than they were when Roos arrived, why not ?? I've had enough of this, not going to even check scores anymore. Just gives me no pleasure at all these days to follow the MFC.

• Like 1

We have improved (oh so marginally) for the sole reason that we have a stronger list than at any time in the past nine years. And that is because the stunning ineptitude of Neeld & co gave us an opportunity to improve the list through the draft.

It has zero to do with coaching, tactics, player development or anything that Roos or any other of the peanuts at the club have contributed.

Who on our list has improved from where they were when Roos walked through the door 20 months ago? Basically nobody.

All that Roos has done is implement a game plan that is unwatchable to the fans, and which sucks every ounce of life out of the players.Sure it stacks up against the Brisbane's of the world who can only kick four goals a game, but we are roadkill to anyone half decent.

I believe we are a better side than Carlton, but we are every chance to lose to them. Probably by about 8 goals to 5 going on recent performances.

• Like 2

We have improved (oh so marginally) for the sole reason that we have a stronger list than at any time in the past nine years. And that is because the stunning ineptitude of Neeld & co gave us an opportunity to improve the list through the draft.

It has zero to do with coaching, tactics, player development or anything that Roos or any other of the peanuts at the club have contributed.

Who on our list has improved from where they were when Roos walked through the door 20 months ago? Basically nobody.

All that Roos has done is implement a game plan that is unwatchable to the fans, and which sucks every ounce of life out of the players.Sure it stacks up against the Brisbane's of the world who can only kick four goals a game, but we are roadkill to anyone half decent.

I believe we are a better side than Carlton, but we are every chance to lose to them. Probably by about 8 goals to 5 going on recent performances.

Correct. Improvement thus far is normalisation. You'd expect it with more talent.

8.5, not 10, and we were hopeless under any sort of pressure back then.

Roos is trying, but struggling, to build this team into one that can win finals. Bailey didn't.

Having said that, I'd kill for some instinctive attacking football.

And we are just so good under pressure now?

Question please Mr Roos. We have a defender who (other than the time Riewoldt corked him out in the first quarter) has had the better of Riewoldt so you "experiment" with him as a tall forward, whilst the said Mr Riewoldt takes us apart due to a mismatch - WHY??

I actually didn't think it was such a bad move early on. Riewoldt grew into the game and ended up being a large part of the difference between the two sides, but I'm not going to get on the coach's shoulder for that one. Felt we needed McDonald forward this week, but I probably would have made the change in the third quarter. We also didn't start manning up their spare defender until half way through the last quarter. I wonder whether that was simply Jetta doing that of his own purgative or whether he was actually sent there.

Edited by AdamFarr

Goodwin isn't ready, but it would force him to be way more innovative than a boring Paul Roos.

I'm not disputing this claim, but why the hell would we have chosen a coach who isn't ready to be a successor for the senior coaching position? That doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 1

I'm not disputing this claim, but why the hell would we have chosen a coach who isn't ready to be a successor for the senior coaching position? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Because we wanted Stewy Dew and couldn't get him. No one wanted the gig remember and time was running out

I wanted bomber Thompson. I think he's quirky but players play for him and his style of footy is great. He definitely had the bombers playing good footy

Id still take him

At least he could sell hope and is a great spruiker.. like when Neale transformed into the Reverend

Hes also an attacking coach

Edited by hogans_heroes

I think Roos has done a lot of good, especially off the field

The fact that we even managed to get guys like Vince wanting to come play for us, and the fact that Jones didn't give us the finger and went to win a flag somewhere else, is a tiny miracle in itself

What Roos seems to have done is given the players a sense of purpose and they seem to me less morbidly depressed than they were under Neeld. I also don't doubt that training and preparation has become more professional.

But on game day, not much has changed. We are more "contested" yes, we tackle better, we don't get blown apart as often. But we still can't execute basic skills, we still make dumb decisions, and I still don't see a game plan.

On game day Roos leaves me wanting more.

Having said that, 3 coaches, 7 years, and we still suck. When do we say "it's not you its me"??

• Like 3

I think Roos has done a lot of good, especially off the field

The fact that we even managed to get guys like Vince wanting to come play for us, and the fact that Jones didn't give us the finger and went to win a flag somewhere else, is a tiny miracle in itself

What Roos seems to have done is given the players a sense of purpose and they seem to me less morbidly depressed than they were under Neeld. I also don't doubt that training and preparation has become more professional.

But on game day, not much has changed. We are more "contested" yes, we tackle better, we don't get blown apart as often. But we still can't execute basic skills, we still make dumb decisions, and I still don't see a game plan.

On game day Roos leaves me wanting more.

Having said that, 3 coaches, 7 years, and we still suck. When do we say "it's not you its me"??

We just don't know how to play with one another, we don't have chemistry. The talent is there but I feel like there are divisions in the playing group, between the talent we've got from other clubs, the guys who were there pre-2011 and players who've debuted under Roos

• Like 1