Some serious questions asked about Paul Roos ...

dazzledavey36

Totally agree with this post, is trying to play a brand that is 10 years old, we smash Geelong playing one on one, every since that game we have allowed loose men in defence and it has smash us. Our players are always 5-10m off their opponent it is every time so this is a directive or our game plan.

Enough is enough

Bailey had us winning 10 games a season with a weaker list

8.5, not 10, and we were hopeless under any sort of pressure back then.

Roos is trying, but struggling, to build this team into one that can win finals. Bailey didn't.

Having said that, I'd kill for some instinctive attacking football.

• Like 4

Agree 100% with Django.

Nothing (little) to do with Roos. Skills, turnovers, skills, turnovers. The story of our season. I could only watch today's match in dribs and drabs, but every time I turned to it, there was someone fluffing a handpass or a kick, or making a poor decision.

We're also just too undermanned - missing players like Frost, Kent, Salem, without starting on Petracca/Trengove.

Finally, we're getting into the business end of the season, and for first year players like Brayshaw, Vandenberg etc., who gave us so much earlier on, it's getting to be a looming season as well.

It's hard for me to judge Roos because I don't know what goes on off the field

There is no doubt that Roos and Jackson have improved us a lot as a club.

On game day however, we are no better than we were under Bailey.

• Like 2

I'm a Roosy fan, but I don't understand why we never man up the opposition's spare man. We manned him up for all of 10 minutes today. Is it so we learn to use the footy better? It's inexplicable otherwise.

Roos has still been a blessing and this is a typical post-loss thread.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

Agree 100% with Django.

Nothing (little) to do with Roos. Skills, turnovers, skills, turnovers. The story of our season. I could only watch today's match in dribs and drabs, but every time I turned to it, there was someone fluffing a handpass or a kick, or making a poor decision.

We're also just too undermanned - missing players like Frost, Kent, Salem, without starting on Petracca/Trengove.

Finally, we're getting into the business end of the season, and for first year players like Brayshaw, Vandenberg etc., who gave us so much earlier on, it's getting to be a looming season as well.

Making excuses for young players isn't an option.

St Kildas young players were fine and if ours ARNT up to it then don't farken play them.

• Like 1

Yeah, when we lost a game by 186 points?

Roos has his negatives and we knew what we were going to get after seeing the Swans playing in the early 2000's. He isn't the issue, and if you can't see improvement you are blind.

Edit: But we have been trash the last few weeks - I blame this on the players, who are the ones on the field missing handballs and kicks and making simple errors.

186 had nothing to do with Bailey, and you know it. It was a playing group protesting against a micromanaging off-field team that undermined the progress Bailey, the coaching staff and the on-field leaders were having.

In 2010 and 2011, the club was look very, very good. We played attractive football, smashed teams, and had a great young core.

We might have remained mid-range under Bailey but at least we knew what we were going to get. We lost by 186, but we also flogged a few sides by 70-100 points.

Roos has been shockingly outcoached multiple times by coaches with more than half the experience at AFL level than him.

Buckley, Hird, Cameron, Richardson (twice), they have all out-coached him.

Let's not forget that this group of players plays like they hate each other. But it's a two-way street, and the team's structures are horrid.

Is any team with this much talent break down so badly across half-forward like Melbourne? There is no trust in the style, no trust in one another. We let average backlines push our forward line around like ragdolls, and it's because we permit them freedom to control the tempo, week in, week out.

The buck stops with Roos here.

We have the cattle. We have drafted well.

Something is amiss.

• Like 3

One dimensional view, one dimensional response.

Making usual excuses is one dimensional.

How about man the [censored] up and say we played like [censored]? Because that's what happened

By the way they're playing, I think he was coaching them over the phone.

I've never seen a coach less emotionally involved in a club like Roos is with Melbourne. The day he leaves Melbourne he'll put his Joey Kennedy poster back up on his wall and his Swans membership hat (they tend to wear a lot of hats, even at night games) back on.

• Like 5

I think you get what you see with Paul Roos.

Passion-less thinker who is ready for a joke to break out so he can lessen the load.

He's not there.

Give me the passion of Longmire or Clarko ffs

• Like 2

This is all on the players

If they cannot or refuse to execute basic skills nothing will improve.

As Roos said this week

We need an A+ Midfielder or 2

Make one of them Captain.

Force these lazy players out of this timid apathy

Jonesy cannot do it. Just let him be a soldier..

• Like 1

I've never seen a coach less emotionally involved in a club like Roos is with Melbourne. The day he leaves Melbourne he'll put his Joey Kennedy poster back up on his wall and his Swans membership hat (they tend to wear a lot of hats, even at night games) back on.

I reckon we'll see him and his hat in the Swans circle after the games when he takes up his role as the overly enthusiastic old bloke they always have leading the song.

• Like 3

Agree 100% with Django.

Why do we persist in playing the same style irrespective of the weather though? There's no plan B. Instead of taking the first option in the wet, we over possess and we're clearly being told to take the game on, but we're sooooo slow in the midfield, so we continue to get run down or stifled. Viney is the only one who is slightly quick. And we also have a ruckman who doesn't use his superior height and continues to tap to the opposition.

Some of these blokes just don't turn up and that's equally at the feet of the coaches too. Richardson, with his inferior list, gets the most out of his team. They tackle hard and work for each other. Our blokes pick and choose when to turn up. We've got a young list that still has a dearth of senior leadership, but our inconsistency is like clockwork. Next week we'll probably come out and beat Collingwood.

I'm not sure it's all Roos fault, however players making the same skill errors and poor decision making as when he first arrived is damning as erasing these is surely part of a coaches job.

I would have laughed this off a month ago, however these past games have shown us as one of the worst two sides in the comp. with Carlton, and on the past weeks form I have doubts about our ability to beat them.

I have come to peace with the fact that I will never get to see a premiership in my lifetime, being born 2 weeks after our last one, but I did hope my kids would get the opportunity to see one. I'm seriously questioning whether that will ever happen either.

The hope was for Roos to develop the right culture and put the building blocks in place for future success but it would seem the hole we were in was deeper than he thought and his game plan is no longer relevant and to difficult for these players to implement well enough.

• Like 3

I just want to see players forward of the ball so that when a Melbourne player with the ball looks up he sees forwards leading at him and not running away from him into space.

We need to get our structures right before anything else and nothing that Roos has done tells me his structure is right.

• Like 1