Demonland Player of the Year - Round 8

Demonland

6 - vandenBerg ... 29 disposals (13 contested) 7 clearances with an overall 79.3% DE - a recruiting master stroke.

5 - N Jones ... stood up when they came at us

4 - Spencer ... his best game for the club

3 - Vince ... stayed strong - especially late

2 - Fitzpatrick - re-born as a backman? Terrific today.

1 - Cross ... had a good game - especially early

Can't fit Pedersen in and he was another who played very well.

Apologies to Brayshaw, Toumpas, Garlett, Hogan and a few others.

Watts used the ball extremely well and was especially good in traffic.

• Like 1

6 - vandenBerg ... 29 disposals (13 contested) 7 clearances with an overall 79.3% DE - a recruiting master stroke.

5 - N Jones ... stood up when they came at us

4 - Spencer ... his best game for the club

3 - Vince ... stayed strong - especially late

2 - Fitzpatrick - re-born as a backman? Terrific today.

1 - Cross ... had a good game - especially early

Can't fit Pedersen in and he was another who played very well.

Apologies to Brayshaw, Toumpas, Garlett, Hogan and a few others.

Watts used the ball extremely well and was especially good in traffic.

No Hogan?

Kicked 3, set up about 3 directly, and numerous others just from crashing packs. the hype is real.

No Hogan?

Kicked 3, set up about 3 directly, and numerous others just from crashing packs. the hype is real.

He did get an apology from me - isn't that enough song? :)

In all honesty, I had to give Spencer and Fitzy votes as they played their best games for the club. Hoges will end up getting a stack of votes off me in his 15 year stellar career - that'll take us through to 2029 or thereabouts ... true story.

• Like 1

He did get an apology from me - isn't that enough song? :)

In all honesty, I had to give Spencer and Fitzy votes as they played their best games for the club. Hoges will end up getting a stack of votes off me in his 15 year stellar career - that'll take us through to 2029 or thereabouts ... true story.

heard a whisper from a mate who was adamant that Hogan was extending his contract too, and he had a very good source. I called bullshite on it, and said are you mixing him up with Petracca, and he swore black and blue that he wasn't. Watch this space i guess. I hope he is right, but probably not.

• Like 2

heard a whisper from a mate who was adamant that Hogan was extending his contract too, and he had a very good source. I called bullshite on it, and said are you mixing him up with Petracca, and he swore black and blue that he wasn't. Watch this space i guess. I hope he is right, but probably not.

Yep, the way footy is going you have to tie up the young blokes who show a bit (in Hogan's case, he shows a great deal) With free agency opening up more player movement in general, long term contracts will become more and more commonplace.

I guess it's a great compliment to him that he's getting marked hard already - I know I have big expectations for the bloke ... he could be anything.

Hope your mate is on the money ^_^

• Like 1

Very surprised that some left Jones out of the top six players.

He was absolutely superb - his attack on the ball was on another level and I thought he was the one who set the tone in the last quarter to enable us to withstand the Dogs' charge and then run away with it.

Spencer and Toumpas might have caught the eye because their games were far superior to what they've shown in the past, but in terms of impact on the game they were not at the level of Nathan Jones. He was immense and was clearly in our best three for me.

• Like 5

6 - vandenBerg - so dynamic and aggressive

5 - Spencer - was confident and handled the ball accordingly

4 - Fitzpatrick - amazing turnaround in performance and a master stroke by Roos to play him in defence

3 - Hogan - just gives everyone confidence when he's near the ball

2 - Pedersen - grunt work and marking ability

1 - N.Jones - apart from 1 brain fade he was close to his usual dynamic self

He must of been reading Demonland...a few of us called for him to be moved back last year.

...but seriously it was a good move to bring him in against Boyd otherwise Dunn would have been outsized again and when Boyd was subbed out with only one handball. The beauty with Fitz is he then had the pace to go with a smaller opponent.

Early days but if he can develop as a defender then he offers height and leg speed. Could be a career saving move but lets wait and see.

• Like 3

He extended his contract last year until the end of 2017. Not sure why he'd do it again unless they were planning on giving him more money.

Very surprised that some left Jones out of the top six players.

He was absolutely superb - his attack on the ball was on another level and I thought he was the one who set the tone in the last quarter to enable us to withstand the Dogs' charge and then run away with it.

Spencer and Toumpas might have caught the eye because their games were far superior to what they've shown in the past, but in terms of impact on the game they were not at the level of Nathan Jones. He was immense and was clearly in our best three for me.

He did have that brain fade late in the third where kicked backwards to Stringer who slipped through an extraordinary goal that would often be a game changer. Thankfully we fought our way back but really a clanger like that from your captain is unforgivable. But yes he worked hard to redeem himself.

• Like 1

6 Vince

5 vandenburg

4 Pedersen

3 Hogan

2 N Jones

1 Toumpas

He did have that brain fade late in the third where kicked backwards to Stringer who slipped through an extraordinary goal that would often be a game changer. Thankfully we fought our way back but really a clanger like that from your captain is unforgivable. But yes he worked hard to redeem himself.

It was a bad mistake, but it's forgivable when he's burrowed head first into packs for 120 minutes, often coming out with ball in hand.

One howler doesn't undo 30 acts of quality.

• Like 1

It was a bad one but he had every right to be completely spent at that stage.

I think we can forgive him.

Stringer pounced on two such errors but dropped a sitter himself.

It's Nathan Jones. Nothing is unforgivable.

• Like 2

6 - vandenBerg

5 - N Jones

4 - Hogan

3 - Vince

2 - Cross

1 - Pedersen

Toumpas, Fitzpatrick, Brayshaw, Spencer all unlucky.

This is surely the first game of the year where McDonald isn't clearly in our top 6 (or top 2, to be honest). That's exciting in its own way.

Carries team every week and watches teammates butcher the footy. No credit.

Makes a mistake and supporters go on about it like its the worst thing ever done by a Melbourne player.

I guess today I knew that Jones was human. Until today I was sure he was a machine.

6.Vandenberg

5.Vince

4.Hogan

3.Nate Jones

2.Pedersen

1.Spencer

Good games also by Grimes, Toump (finally get to put that in well done lad that is the expectation), Brayshaw, Fitzy & Crossy. How different two running and being honest from all 22 changes things

• Like 2

6 - Aaron VanDemonBerg - an absolute beast around the ball, total bulldozer

5 - Jesse Hogan - hes just turned 20 and has played 7 games yet thats the best game from a Demon forward since god knows when. Has it all.. class, speed, skill, power, intimidation, leadership.. everything.

4 - Jack Fitzpatrick - absolutely DESTROYED that milion dollar joker. Nobody could have seen that coming, masterstroke from Roos

3 - Bernie Vince - smashed Bont and racked up possies and kicked 2 goals. Gun.

2 - Nathan Jones - back to his best, just lifted the team . Vintage Jonesy.

1 - Jake Spencer - that burst from the centre and lace out kick to Pedersen.. Thought I was imagining things. Great game all around.

Apologies to the 7 or 8 other guys I could have easily given votes to.

Edited by hogans_heroes