Changes For Next Week

Think you might add Hogan to the ins 'dazzle'...

I would put Dawes out.

I would put him out to pasture Cant Mark Cant Jump cant kick

What the hell is he doing playing in a football side

beggars belief

Ins would probably be from this trio (Casey stats):

Jordie McKenzie 1 goal 34 disposals 14 kicks 20 handballs 8 marks 8 tackles 148 Dream Team Points

Alex Neal-Bullen 24 disposals 13 kicks 11 handballs 7 marks 2 tackles 90 Dream Team PointsAidan Riley 28 disposals 9 kicks 19 handballs 5 marks 11 tackles 122 Dream Team Points

What relevance does dream team points have?

What relevance does dream team points have?

When you know that your team isn't going to get the 4 points, DT points are everything. ;)

• Like 1

It's always hard to pick a team after a massive loss - there are so many potential outs.

It also makes it harder when the reserves lose and there's not many standout inclusions to replace the potential outs.

The Dogs are fast and lively and play without a major ruckman - this means that unless Minson is an inclusion, we will have a rare win in the hitouts, which at least gives us a slightly better chance of winning the clearances. Given that the Dogs will be quicker than us, this is an important factor if we are to make any headway and not cop another belting.

I also think Roosy would have done a lot of thinking this week - questioning where we are going etc and as a result I can see him tinkering with his side, but I'm not sure that will mean wholesale changes - but maybe a couple of positional switches - his midfield set up may alter a bit.

Most of us had two definite outs this week among a host of possibilities on top of the injured Salem and I think Roosy will feel the same.

Jimmy T's errors combined with his looseness does not warrant another match.

Billy Stretch is young and found the going really tough. He can now take his AFL experience back to VFL and try to become a major threat.

Matt Jones, Rohan Bail and Viv Michie also did their cause serious harm with errors, but they may survive this week simply because there are so few options to bring back.

If there is to be a regular senior player dropped then the two in contention are Chris Dawes and Jeremy Howe after failing to impact again.

Pedo's form, unfortunately has put the onus on Dawesy to do more and with Hogan back he is the obvious one to make room.

Dom is also is yet to show his 2014 form, so I imagine the debate on whether to rest him up in the hope to overcome his knee soreness will be discussed again and I suspect this will be the week they do it.

Then there's the debate on whether to bring in a solid tapman in Jamar to replace a higher workrate, but less skilled tapman in Spencer.

I don't have a fixed view on which one, but I actually advocate also bringing back Gawn, because we have to make sure we have a major advantage against the Dogs in the ruck, otherwise I suspect we will be smashed in clearances and they are clearly better than us at outside run and pressing.

I also view that we need to go bigger because as we saw against Hawthorn, we can't beat good sides with our smaller lineups and we need to have a couple of advantages, because the battle to provide run is already lost without Viney, Salem, Jetta, Kent, Frost etc. We also will be forced to go long up the line a bit because of their press and that makes it more vital to have two talls providing the marking option.

The only two definite ins are Hogan and Newton (who was 23rd man last week).

Jetta is on a four-week recovery strategy and I think it sounds like Viney is another week away.

Riley and McKenzie have been the hard workers in the reserves and you'd have to think one of them will come in this week.

Watts could come back but I suspect it would be in his interests to wait until he really dominates a game before rushing him back.

Neal-Bullen could also come in, but once again to do so is rushing him, he needs to really dominate a VFL game first.

I have put Vince to a forward pocket with the plan that he ends up on Murphy, who has been huge for several weeks now and needs a negater. I have also named Cross as a half forward in the hope that he gets his old buddie Matt Boyd and make him more accountable. McKenzie gets the job on Dickson, TMac takes Stringer, Dunny has Tom Boyd and Col Garland gets Crameri with experienced heads Lumumba and Grimes heavily rotating on their other revolving forwards.

Moving Vince and Cross out of the middle will also mean that we can go with a different midfield setup. Riley's hardness will at least test out Bontempelli, even though he will lose the battle, and Brayshaw deserves a bigger shot at winning clearances, he's only had a few minutes each game up until now, and he links up well with Jonesy.

So my view and there's plenty of other options here is as follows:

Out: Salem, Tyson (inj), Stretch, Jimmy T, Dawes

In: Hogan, Newton, Riley, McKenzie, Gawn

B: McKenzie Dunn Garland

HB: Lumumba T.Mac Grimes

C: Newton Riley vandenBurg

HF: Bail Hogan Cross

F: Vince Pedersen Garlett

Ru: Spencer Brayshaw N.Jones

Int: Gawn, M.Jones, Michie, Howe (sub)

• Like 2

Out: Salem, Tyson (inj), Stretch, Jimmy T, Dawes Spencer

In: Hogan, Newton, Riley, McKenzie, Gawn, Watts

B: McKenzie Dunn Garland

HB: Lumumba T.Mac Grimes

C: Newton Riley vandenBurg

HF: Watts Hogan Cross

F: Vince Gawn Garlett

Ru: Pedersen Brayshaw N.Jones

Int: M.Jones, Michie, Bail, Howe (sub)

Maybe worth trying Pedersen as first ruck & Gawn at FF - if weather is good. Sorry Watts you are needed.

Edited by ManDee

Did you feel this way after the Richmond game?

lol

'rp', I know you are looking at Dawes as a role player and for his value to our structure but I think his form is not good enough for him to hold a spot for that reason alone.

Maybe Peders will take that role, not a great choice at the moment and I would much rather see Frost running around. At least he can catch someone and the stay caught.

• Like 4

Thought someone said Viney is a couple of weeks away, was mentioned at the Foundation Heroes dinner?

Dunno if its confirmed though

He said so himself on 693 at 1.15 pm on Saturday. Has just started running but not putting weight on it

If we just include Gawn or Jamar it still means that (assuming Dawes is rested) whenever Pedo is in the ruck we will only have Hogan as a tall on the forward line. Not big enough! If Hogan had other talls around him he might kick a bag. As it is he draws a mob of big opponents when the ball is kicked in long. Both Gawn and Jamar are actually not too bad when forward. Didn't Jamar kick 5 a few years ago?

Lets create a situation where are mids, under pressure, can kick it long without the certainty that it will come right back again

Hard to see Viney come back to seniors before QB weekend. He has already missed 5 weeks with possibly 1 or 2 more. He will be really lacking match fitness - no footy/work serious runnning for 6 weeks so will he need to come back via VFL? Touch and go even for QB game I reckon.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

1 in 5 are not good results rpfc

'rp', I know you are looking at Dawes as a role player and for his value to our structure but I think his form is not good enough for him to hold a spot for that reason alone.

Maybe Peders will take that role, not a great choice at the moment and I would much rather see Frost running around. At least he can catch someone and the stay caught.

I am a forward myself, so I will admit to some empathy but we have averaged 24 less Inside 50s to our opponent these last three weeks. The fact that Hogan can make do on scraps is a judgment on Hogan - not Dawes.

It is simple maths - if you get into your scoring zone at such a paltry rate (35 average over the last 3 weeks) - the chances for your forwards to do some damage is lessened significantly.

• Like 1

I am a forward myself, so I will admit to some empathy but we have averaged 24 less Inside 50s to our opponent these last three weeks. The fact that Hogan can make do on scraps is a judgment on Hogan - not Dawes.

It is simple maths - if you get into your scoring zone at such a paltry rate (35 average over the last 3 weeks) - the chances for your forwards to do some damage is lessened significantly.

All the above is correct rpfc my problem with Dawes is if the ball comes to him 5 times or 20 during a game the result seems to be the same.

Dropped marks.

He is not known as 'old Iron Hands" for no reason

• Like 1

Why is Viney taking longer to come back from the same injury that a 31 year old Daniel Cross had last year?

Frustrating

Frustrating as hell, but some people just heal differently.

Hearing that injury report really reminds you of how stretched we are at the moment.

Frost, JKH, Salem, Viney, Kent, Hogan were all in the 22 that won rd 1 and I think we'd all agree they're our future.

Was forgetting about Frosty, puts our Ruck crisis in a bit of perspective.. I know they want him to fill that role too.

Said it after the game but I might as well say it again here. That list includes our best distributor from D50, our best inside mid this year, our best fwd defender and our best tall forward.

Its no wonder we're getting pumped.

I find it bizarre that some of the posters here who say, "we've played the three best teams in the comp, what do you expect?" Are also calling for Spencer to be dropped.

Granted Roos was obviously in essence "tanking" those games to get some experience into the likes of Spencer against tough opposition but at the same time, I see no benefit in rushing him out before we play a very winnable game against the Dogs.

If we complain about the AFL scheduling us the way it has which has led to a drop in confidence, dropping Spencer is just going to continue the downward spiral of development we've seen in previous years.

IMO, he gets one more week, maybe two. Let's see if he can compete better against a side closer to our level, and let's give these inexperienced players the opportunity to play themselves into confidence.

What have we got to lose anymore? When Jamar retires this year or next we will have no option but to play Spencer more often than not.

I remember Jamar being god awful in his first few seasons. Spencer hasn't even played 30 games.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

I really hated some of the things Spencer did on the weekend - Defensive efforts were terrible and he didn't run both ways much at all

I reckon he'll get one more week though. Bulldogs aren't even playing a ruck at the moment and if he's going to gain confidence, it will be from this game. Hopefully he can get something going.

On weight of numbers and form at Casey, Riley looks ready to step back into the seniors.

Unfortunately though he adds none of the pace that we so desperately need!

We're really missing Kent and Frost's dash and may have to keep Bail in the team.