Time to ditch the Paleo.

Just when I think Demonland can't be even more ill-informed, along comes a thread like this.

Next we'll be hearing that the earth is flat because, heh, you only have to look around you and obviously it's flat, what were they thinking.

Given that we out-scored Sydney in the second half, you could - if you were so inclined - take that as evidence that our boys have more stamina and endurance than Sydney, and that that's down to the success of the diet.

• Like 1

Just finished a 6 week paleo diet. Slightly modified to allow a protein shake with oats after the gym and low fat ricotta before bed.

Put on 5kg and lost 4% bf.

I did cardio 4 times a week plus 2 swimming sessions and a 4 weights sessions.

I obviously did nowhere near as much cardio as our guys but would have struggled on a pure paleo diet with their sort of training.

Carbs aren't the enemy, craved carbs after a workout the small amount of oats assisted with recovery and replenishing energy.

did you know the romans considered oats only food fit for animals (except in times of draught)

Neolithic diets are great at keeping you alive long enough to have lots of babies. It's not great at making you the healthiest you can be.

Normally the healthiest are the most successful at having and rearing babies. There is no real evidence for your second sentence, though as I said, perhaps footballers are a special category. I doubt it - another fad will overtake it. Even so, a lot of its benefit may well be a placebo effect.

Normally the healthiest are the most successful at having and rearing babies. There is no real evidence for your second sentence, though as I said, perhaps footballers are a special category. I doubt it - another fad will overtake it. Even so, a lot of its benefit may well be a placebo effect.

Evidence is conflicted about which diets make which populations healthy. I don't want to open that can of worms. All I'm saying here is that there is very little evolutionary selective pressure on things that don't damage your health enough to affect your ability to rear offspring.

For example, heart disease typically occurs after childbearing age. If someone dies of heart disease from a poor diet at the age of 55 surrounded by their ten kids they had at the age of between 20-40, the genes that made that person susceptible to heart disease in the first place haven't been selected against because that person's kids all have the same genes.

I am a paleo backer; it's helped me lose 12% of my body weight in the past four months. I think the science behind it is sound.; but that's irrelevant to what you said. Civilization is built on the grain, because the grain is reliable, can be stored easily, and provides a vast amount of energy compared to what goes into making it. That doesn't mean it's the ideal food for an individual human's health.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

The last two weeks we have been physically dominated by mature bodies in the opposition midfields. Take out Daniel Cross from our team and our average age plummets. When you have a midfield with players 25-28yo, you can overpower a young midfield regardless of your diet.

Also, the amount of blocking and shepherding work that Freo did in particular, is knocking our inexperienced players off and away from the ball as there is contact when they're not expecting it. The physical pressure that these team apply cannot be prepared for in a gym.

Our guys would have learnt a lot this week and last about how to play as a physical, high pressure and intensity team.

Until they understand this, they'll look like children vs men.

Yeah well Norm Smith would say exactly the same thing!!

I lost count how many times their bigger bodies simply shrugged us off with ease.. We look so much smaller and skinnier that even our jumpers look like they are all XL size.

It was worth a try at the start to get more miles into the legs but our midfield is just way too small to compete against the likes of Sydney and Freo.

Its simply not working. Must find a way this pre season to get bigger without losing the speed and indurance because atm we just look way too light.

Maybe we should employ a sports scientist. I hear that there is a guy called Rank, or is it Dark...something like that, who is out of a job.

• Like 1

We've been getting pushed around and off the ball for years but I really do believe it's beginning to change.

The win against the Suns we were brutal and showed some real mongrel as we did against the Tigers and in our game against the Crows we showed some fierceness at the contest - let alone Vince's individual game.

Sydney are a great team with some hardened footballers. I wouldn't say they are collectively stronger than our team but they're certainly better footballers who've played together for much longer and are more confident in the game plan and each other.

Hawks will bully the team next week but I'm hoping we'll take it up to them and without Hodge and Lewis our younger guys shouldn't be as intimidated - as the Giants showed yesterday.

I don't think whatever version of the LCHF diet they've been doing has resulted in us getting shoved around because it's probably happened less this year than previous years.

Just finished a 6 week paleo diet. Slightly modified to allow a protein shake with oats after the gym and low fat ricotta before bed.

Put on 5kg and lost 4% bf.

I did cardio 4 times a week plus 2 swimming sessions and a 4 weights sessions.

I obviously did nowhere near as much cardio as our guys but would have struggled on a pure paleo diet with their sort of training.

Carbs aren't the enemy, craved carbs after a workout the small amount of oats assisted with recovery and replenishing energy.

Carbs really are the enemy.

You are just worthless and weak.

you just have no self respect.

and you want to take the easy way out.

Face it Ethan.

I like you Biff.

Sorry Ethan,

Just finished my PT course.

Trying on some banter before I start.

Apologies if it sounded harsh but I'm going with a tough love approach.

• Like 1

I like you Biff.

be very careful of what you like ethan

biffo has a very tenuous hold on reality

he's a victim of a repressive and exploitative society beyond his control

deep down there is a warm and sensitive soul struggling to break out

he deserves our sympathies and understanding, but not out liking

edit: for more compassion

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 2

TMac is one of the biggest backers of the new diet, I've watched him do a talk on in at a uni or something similar on YouTube and he talks about how much it has helped him.

From memory it was rather insightful and considering his form and fitness this year, I can see how it is helping him.

Edited by Seraph
  • Like 1

did you know the romans considered oats only food fit for animals (except in times of draught)

That would be Carlton Draught, would it? :lol:

• Like 1

They are still handing out those Paleo bars after training and a couple of the players have mentioned they are still having the eggs/bacon/sausage so assume diet is still the 'flavour' of the day

Powerade isn't paleo, pretty sure cavemen weren't chugging down a sugary refreshment after a hard days hunting.

• Like 2

Powerade isn't paleo, pretty sure cavemen weren't chugging down a sugary refreshment after a hard days hunting.

they might have had a little honey snack though if they were lucky

and then there are plenty of sugars in fruit

TMac is one of the biggest backers of the new diet, I've watched him do a talk on in at a uni or something similar on YouTube and he talks about how much it has helped him.

From memory it was rather insightful and considering his form and fitness this year, I can see how it is helping him.

Well, something has gone right for Tom. Surely more than just dieting. Lots of hard mental and physical work for starters - please note certain other players.

has the club ditched this stupid fad diet yet?

Bloody ridiculous it was ever implemented,

What are you on about? Chris Dawes lost 8 kilos from it and now in career best form!

Oh wait..

Edited by dazzledavey36