Dees v Dockers - Round 5

I know we are still beaming from Friday night, but i thought i'd get down to business early.

Big test to see how our new look team goes against the current in form/best team in the competition.

We have a few outs, and i think they are virtually full strength, so it will be a big, big challenge!

Vince to tag Fyfe.

Not without a chance... Freo have had a big month to start the season. Port, Geelong, WC and sydney.. If there ever due for a let down game, a cold day at the G might be it. 8 day break for us

• Like 2

It's a good test and I'd like Freo at full strength so we can gauge how far off we are. I'm confident our team will show the same resilience we did v GC, Adelaide and Richmond and be at least a small chance for a win against the in form team of the competition.

Edited by chookrat
  • Like 1

Also Kent will be out for 4-6 weeks.

The channel 7 footy show said scans revealed its 8-10 similar to dal santo and that means may need surgery - is going to have more scans.

If Dom goes and we have 3 ins I'm worried about the team, if watts gets dropped as posters ask for we bring in 4 sub afl standard players. I really like our team but I feel we have a best 22 and not a single other vfl player is suitable at this stage as a replacement. Previous years we haven't even had an afl team so it's a great change. But the more changes the less confident in the result I will be each week.

Watts will play every game this year unless injured (just too good even when playing bad compared to every vfl player in my point of view. Clearly michie and brayshaw are starting 22 this week with injuries. So 1 player comes in to be sub and the other comes in to be either a half forward (Kent), or a small back defender (Jetta) or another rucking option (believing Dawes is not enough).

Go dees :)

• Like 2

Pedo, Toumpas, Bail, Grimes/fitzy

I doubt Dom will play so I think it will be the following:

Outs: Kent, Jetta, Tyson

Ins: Grimes, Bail, Toumpas (probably a bit early but will have to play if Dom's out)

Team as follows:

B: Grimes McDonald Garland

HB: Salem Dunn Howe

C: Lumumba Jones Cross

HF: JKH Hogan Newton

F: Garlett Dawes Watts

R: Jamar Vince VandenBerg

Int: Brayshaw Bail Michie

Sub: Toumpas

• Like 1

I doubt Dom will play so I think it will be the following:

Outs: Kent, Jetta, Tyson

Ins: Grimes, Bail, Toumpas (probably a bit early but will have to play if Dom's out)

Team as follows:

B: Grimes McDonald Garland

HB: Salem Dunn Howe

C: Lumumba Jones Cross

HF: JKH Hogan Newton

F: Garlett Dawes Watts

R: Jamar Vince VandenBerg

Int: Brayshaw Bail Michie

Sub: Toumpas

All of a sudden that team has potential turn over merchants all over the ground. Grimes, Bail and Toumpas. When your team mates start turning it over with poor disposal, it puts other players under pressure and they begin to turn it over too. Very concerned if Dom doesn't pull up. Worried about Ballantyne too, without Jetta.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

Can people stop suggesting Pedersen. Would rather Gawn or Spencer if we go down that route.

Having a bad run with injuries at the moment. As if Viney and Frost weren't enough, seems we now have 3 more. That's 25% of the team.

Ross Lyon won't be taking us lightly.

"I watched Melbourne on Friday night and they were really tenacious. They're going to be well rested, and they would have made some observations, and it's going to be really difficult."

When was the last time our club was referred to as 'tenacious'? Love it!

The way Freo have been starting games recently, we'll be lucky to get a goal before half time!

• Like 2

Ross Lyon won't be taking us lightly.

When was the last time our club was referred to as 'tenacious'? Love it!

The way Freo have been starting games recently, we'll be lucky to get a goal before half time!

The Tenacious Dees, eh? I like it.

• Like 8

All of a sudden that team has potential turn over merchants all over the ground. Grimes, Bail and Toumpas. When your team mates start turning it over with poor disposal, it puts other players under pressure and they begin to turn it over too. Very concerned if Dom doesn't pull up. Worried about Ballantyne too, without Jetta.

Yeah. I think Toumpas's turnovers are all between the ears, his kicking style is fine just got to back himself in. Bail we know isn't the greatest kick but we ned to replace Kent with someone who has speed and an ability to defend so I think we will get the nod. And Grimes is the obvious replacement for Jetta as a lockdown defender and as long as he plays within his limits he should be fine.

It will be interesting to see how these guys come in and if the new found confidence of the side will help their disposal.

Yeah. I think Toumpas's turnovers are all between the ears, his kicking style is fine just got to back himself in. Bail we know isn't the greatest kick but we ned to replace Kent with someone who has speed and an ability to defend so I think we will get the nod. And Grimes is the obvious replacement for Jetta as a lockdown defender and as long as he plays within his limits he should be fine.

It will be interesting to see how these guys come in and if the new found confidence of the side will help their disposal.

I think Grimes and The Toump's issues are a lack of confidence while Bail simply lacks composure. I back the club to know who to bring in and to get these 3 players playing well. I think all 3 can be valuable contributors and become long term 150+ game players.

Yeah, good post, IDIG. I agree RE: Toumpas. I'm still backing him in, but he is certainly low confidence, which has impacted on the quality of his disposal. Bail has to tackle like a man possessed. If he can do that he's worth his spot. Grimes is the obvious replacement for Jetta, but I'm not so confident he'll play within his limits. He hasn't shown he's capable of that IMO.

Hopefully, as you say, the disposal efficiency improves with a bit of confidence.