The Incredible Hulk - Jesse Hogan

McQueen

Is it just me or is anybody else worried that there is more to the resting of Hogan from an injury perspective that we are not being told about?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne/melbourne-prepare-for-expected-hot-conditions-with-match-practice-at-training/news-story/23fa9049a229b23ff2ce64c91d07243c?from=herald%20sun_rss

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Is it just me or is anybody else worried that there is more to the resting of Hogan from an injury perspective that we are not being told about?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne/melbourne-prepare-for-expected-hot-conditions-with-match-practice-at-training/news-story/23fa9049a229b23ff2ce64c91d07243c?from=herald%20sun_rss

I'm not concerned. If it was anything serious the club wouldn't have let him participate in training.

Sore back apparently, nothing serious, club isn't concerned and did a scan to be sure but they are taking no risks with it, did the same thing a few times last year, if he feels pain, he rests just to make sure he doesn't have any more issues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get behind the HS paywall to link or quote from the article so have no context but this appears on their site, as the first line:  'PAUL Roos is confident Melbourne will keep its promise to Jesse Hogan to become an elite club, believing he will sign on despite speculation about a return to Western Australia'.

Sounds positive!  Just hope we deliver.  Doubt Roos would stick his neck out if he wasn't quite confident Jesse will sign. 

However, I would like at the club to stop talking about it to the media at every interview.  Of course they will ask but its time to play with a straight bat and tell them there is nothing new to say so stop asking about it!  No point feeding the frenzy and keeping it in the news every other day. 

Let the kid play, enjoy the year and help us win a few more games.  Let the media speculate but time for the club, players and coaches to shut the conversation down from their end.  It certainly seems Jesse's manager is keeping mum we should do the same.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Sounds positive!  Just hope we deliver.  Doubt Roos would stick his neck out if he wasn't quite confident Jesse will sign. 

Nah.... more fluff - Roos was sprouting the similar stuff about Frawley and Howe.  All coaches say the same thing about their charges. "he's happy here and I think he will stay". The only time I can recall that a club waved the white flag on a player staying or going was the Hawks with Buddy. 

• Like 1

After hoges brush with mediocrity against st kilda will he rebound strongly

Who is to defend him?

I dont like that guys chances

1 hour ago, Deestroy All said:

Our promise to Jesse Hogan? Sounds pathetic 

I imagine it would be a promise to all the players at the club not just Jesse- that we would stabilise and grow the club to be one of the best. PJ and PR have got that right on track now we just need on field success to solidify it.

2 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Our promise to Jesse Hogan? Sounds pathetic 

I don't think so. Clearly the balance of power in this employer/employee relationship is with the employee. The same as every other organisation that is trying to retain the best talent - you have to be a place where people want to work...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Undeeterred said:

I don't think so. Clearly the balance of power in this employer/employee relationship is with the employee. The same as every other organisation that is trying to retain the best talent - you have to be a place where people want to work...

In theory, the employer has most of the power until the player becomes an unrestricted FA. But it is clearly becoming easier for the player to get their way before free agency.

All up though, I'm with Deestroy All... a line like that does sound pathetic. The club will always be bigger than the player.

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

'PAUL Roos is confident Melbourne will keep its promise to Jesse Hogan to become an elite club, believing he will sign on despite speculation about a return to Western Australia'.

(Scene: A luxury suite at AAMI park. Jesse Hogan reclines on a golden couch. Jack Grimes and Viv Michie are standing by, stripped to the waist, waving huge feathered fans. Daisy Pearce and Jess Trengove are feeding grapes into Hogan's mouth. Paul Roos, Simon Goodwin, Josh Mahoney and Todd Viney are kneeling in front of the couch.)

Viney: Jesse, we PROMISE to become an elite club. We PROMISE!

JH: Oh yes? Now where have I heard that before?

Goodwin: Jesse, we're doing EVERYTHING we can to get there!

JH: Everything, you say? I recall last week my ostrich steaks were distinctly overdone! When I ask for rare, I mean cold on the inside. No one here knows how to cook ostrich to perfection.

Roos: Jesse, don't do this to us. We've got Petracca, we've got Brayshaw, we've got Oliver ... what more can we do?

JH: Oh, I don't know ... perhaps KICK THE BALL TO ME from time to time?

Goodwin: Jesse, we're TRYING. We really are! But if they double team you ---

JH: Trying. You Eastern States guys don't know the meaning--- Where's Jackson?

Roos: You ... you mean PJ?

JH: I was told that Jackson would be here.

Viney: But Jesse, he's out of town at the--

JH: So that's another broken promise. When I speak to Fremantle, their CEO is always there, and he always gives me lavish presents! Did you see the last one? My new Mercedes? I don't even drive! (sighs) No one here knows how to cook ostrich properly. The Western Australian climate is perfect for ostriches, you know.

Roos: We can buy you an ostrich farm, Jesse. Buy you a farm and ship the ostriches in! At our expense!

JH: It's not the farm, you fool. It's the luxury. Thing is, I don't even like ostrich. Ostriches are so last week. My new favourite thing is ... hmmm ...

Roos: Jesse, tell us! Just tell us your new favourite thing! We'll get it for you!

Mahoney: We'll get you ten of them!

JH: Silence!

(There is instant silence.)

JH: Now here's the team for Saturday. I want Kent Oliver Harmes and Bugg in and playing forward. Kennedy and Garlett can have mysterious injuries. I don't want them stealing any of my goals. Keep that horrible McDonald away from me. And that other tall fellow. I don't want to see them outside the defensive fifty. Keep Gawn away from me too. I'll do the forward ruck work AND kick all the goals. No interchange. And do something about those godawful umpires!

Mahoney: But Jesse, that will--

JH: I can always have my manager be seen in a discreet meeting in a Fremantle coffee shop ...

All: Yes, Jesse.

JH: Now go. I will summon you at my convenience.

All: Yes, Jesse.

• Like 14

On 4 March 2016 at 4:26 PM, McQueen said:

Listened to the broadcast of the NAB game over here last night on Grandstand.

The commentators were quite effusive with how the Dockers will sign both McCarthy and Hogan. To quote one commentator who said, "the fact that Jesse Hogan has put off contract talks just screams to me that he's coming home."

Clearly they're a parochial mob over here and logic is rarely included into these types of conversations.

They did continue to say that Freo will most likely slide after this season but then make another run for a flag in 4 to 5 years time - "just when Hogan and McCarthy will be in their prime," they said.

Freo are taking a huge  risk if they try to get both McCarthy and Hogan IMO. Bringing big guns to fix structural problems does not work as well as most think and can be a destablishing influence.  Reminds me of the Swan's  situation. Tippet and Franklin have been negative net value so far and the Swans are not the tight close knit side they were before them.  Similar also to when we recruited both Templeton and Moore. More trouble than they were worth.

Some consolation I can take with this uncertainty is that we have demonstrated we can play well without Hogan and also when he's having an off day.  Interesting to see how things develop in the next few months. If his contract uncertainty becomes a destabilising influence I would prefer he leaves with haste.  It has been my concern that he may be too high maintenance for a fragile developing club like us.

Edited by america de cali

While I am fairly confident Jesse will stay with us, it is interesting that players from several clubs are re signing, yet our 3 in play, Jesse, Tom Mc and Watts are all not yet committed to their future with us.

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

While I am fairly confident Jesse will stay with us, it is interesting that players from several clubs are re signing, yet our 3 in play, Jesse, Tom Mc and Watts are all not yet committed to their future with us.

It debunks the argument that players are holding out for the new CBA before re-signing.

33 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Tmac we know had been in talks, Watts has said he hasn't started talks and Jesse we know was having discussions before pressure built to sign on and he's put it off for now.

Dom Tyson is the other one who is a pretty important re-signing.

39 minutes ago, mo64 said:

It debunks the argument that players are holding out for the new CBA before re-signing.

I would be surprised if T Mac doesn't stay, Watts delay is probably by mutual agreement and Hogan is still contracted beyond this year so it's all explainable.

1 minute ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Hogan is on tonight's Footy Show if you can stand it long enough to watch him.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if he's on the panel or just there for a segment? I already feel embarrassed for him for some reason. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if he's on the panel or just there for a segment? I already feel embarrassed for him for some reason. 

lol. This is the show to get his reputation back on track...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Just an interview.

live though, Hogan is a strange one in front of the camera so could be worth a look. 

Prepare for it to be over analysed and conclusions to be drawn from the slightest of his twitches by the naysayers on here. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Just an interview.

live though, Hogan is a strange one in front of the camera so could be worth a look. 

Prepare for it to be over analysed and conclusions to be drawn from the slightest of his twitches by the naysayers on here. 

He's on the Footy Show.  He's gone.

• Like 3