Marc Murphy

So is there anyone we want in the first annual Carlton fire sale this October?

Murphy is a terrible captain but would definitely slot straight into our midfield.

Patrick Cripps, but I don't think he will be on sale.

• Like 1

They won't give up any of their youth that have currency. Cripps ain't going anywhere unless he asks to leave.

Carlton will pull a Collingwood and demand far more currency than their players are worth.

Lynden Dunn & Mark Jamar.

Always let the babies grow.

What happened was the worst choice possible. Not only did the club tank for Trengove we hung the captaincy rock around his ankle.

How was he ever to lead by example when still learning the ropes???

Grimes has a lot of courage but is an average footballer

Hardly sets the highest example.

I predicted disaster and sadly it happened. The idiots responsible have all silently walked away.

Don't think you can blame his leg injuries on the captaincy.

But in all seriousness, why are we referring to them as if they did a bad job? Look at that list, along with everything else that underpinned that list (coaching panel, board, cash flow etc.). Do you think that if we'd chosen different captains, Trengove would not have been injured? or Grimes would be a better kick?

Personally, I think it's all a bit far-fetched.

Don't think you can blame his leg injuries on the captaincy.

But in all seriousness, why are we referring to them as if they did a bad job? Look at that list, along with everything else that underpinned that list (coaching panel, board, cash flow etc.). Do you think that if we'd chosen different captains, Trengove would not have been injured? or Grimes would be a better kick?

Personally, I think it's all a bit far-fetched.

i don't think Trengove would have played injured for 2 years if he wasn't Captain...
  • Like 1

Carlton have created a new style...Blues free footy...none of the team show up !!

Pass on this lot...in for a world of pain. Delicious isn't it !! :)

• Like 3

Carlton are the AFL equivalent of the English Cricket team, happy to talk tough but as soon as it's game time they're consistently beyond useless and don't look like improving any time soon

Here's our list from 2012;

Now, can either of you tell me who should've been captain?

The other question, if we made the "wrong" decision by appointing Trengove and Grimes, then what was the "right" decision?

At least when Carlton appointed Murphy there were a couple of other genuine options available (so it seemed from the outside).

Trick question?

Clear a Captain needs to have integrity, honesty, respect of others, ability to play on a regular basis and strong leadership skills.

How could we not have picked Mitch Clarke as Captain?

So is there anyone we want in the first annual Carlton fire sale this October?

Murphy is a terrible captain but would definitely slot straight into our midfield.

A lot will depend on who is coaching them I suppose. If its still MM, and he does have a history of trading away players that he doesn't like cheaply (Garlett) I'd certainly entertain the notion of Chris Yarran for the right deal ( low 30s pick). I know many wouldn't go there, but I rate Yarran's outside ability and speed which we seriously lack and think with the right environment he could get back to where he was a couple of years ago.

Edited by grazman

A lot will depend on who is coaching them I suppose. If its still MM, and he does have a history of trading away players that he doesn't like cheaply (Garlett) I'd certainly entertain the notion of Chris Yarran for the right deal ( low 30s pick). I know many wouldn't go there, but I rate Yarran's outside ability and speed which we seriously lack and think with the right environment he could get back to where he was a couple of years ago.

Chris Yarran is the one bloke on their list who actually has some current value. Carlton would be mad to think about releasing him.

Chris Yarran is the one bloke on their list who actually has some current value. Carlton would be mad to think about releasing him.

I agree, but MM has form for turfing blokes he doesn't like, and I don't think he 'likes' Yarran.

Not the type of player you can rebuild a club around though, and Carlton do need to rebuild.

I would put up Kruezer, Murphy, Yarran, Walker, anyone else with value. Probably hold onto Gibbs, Menzel, Cripps and the younger brigade.

there's no way mick will be coach.

gibbs - true value: about the same as bernie vince (low second round pick) / straight swap for watts vs carlton's perceived value: top 10 pick

murphy - mid first round pick vs top 10 pick

kruezer - high second / third round pick vs top 10 pick

yarran - medium-high second rounder vs first round pick

henderson - high first rounder / low second rounder vs top 10 pick

etc. etc.

they have a history of highly over-valuing their players.

it'll be interesting to see whether silvagni - who a lot of carlton supporters absolutely hate these days - holds his nerve or whether he decides to go to the draft.

as we melbourne supporters know well, lots of picks isn't necessarily the panacea to cure all ills. it's about how you develop them, and it could be argued that carlton's player development has been just as pathetic as ours

Carlton also have a history of kneecapping coaches. I reckon Mouse will smell a rat and quietly exit of his own accord on his terms ( i.e dodge the bullet )

Any which way...the blues are screwed.... its just so much fun watching it :)

Edited by beelzebub

I don't want to steer this thread towards Jack Watts but would anyone right now trade Watts for Gibbs? Easy to forget that Gibbs won Carlton best and fairest last year

I don't want to steer this thread towards Jack Watts but would anyone right now trade Watts for Gibbs? Easy to forget that Gibbs won Carlton best and fairest last year

No I wouldn't, not saying you were inferring Carlton would do that deal but there's no way they would go for it.