Chris Dawes

Soidee

Chris Dawes

30 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Any chance this bloke can get in front. Week after week he is caught behind, it drives me insane. The best games his played is when he is working hard and been hit up on the lead . He isn't a very good contested mark and time after time his caught behind his opponent or trying to wrestle them. When we have the ball around the centre line he just stands there and points to the air to sit it on his head... Chris your not that good in the air or one on one, get on your bike and lead to the kicker and provide an option to players coming forward

I wrote this last year after we lost to the dogs at etihad... Nothing has changed, his probably gotten worse

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

I think it's a long bow to say Dawes is a mobile forward dee. I think he is one of the slowest immobile forwards i've seen for someone of his height. He hardly ever loses or moves his opponent off the ball. Nor does he clunk enough contested marks to make up for what happens when the ball hits the deck. Which most of the time is SBA...other than being left chasing someone's wake as they run the ball quickly out of our 50.

mobile as he likes to move upfield & roam thru the middle, as does Hogan as well. thas what I meant.. I still talk in older terminology. (like take a shot "at goal", instead of 'on goal')

nothing to do with his agility, or his speed. just a mobile player covering lots of area.

Diesel Williams was one of the Most mobile players ever.

I think he'd benefit more from playing out of the square with space in front of him. ATM Hogan is a far better target across half forward, because ATM Dawes brings every single ball to the ground, and we don't have the crumbers to clean up the mess. At least with Hogan you know it'll either be a mark, or he has the capacity to follow his ball up. Dawes either falls to the ground over his opponent's feet, or the ball is punched clear because he isn't quick enough to get space between him and his opponent.

Collingwood teams of 2009, 2010 made him looked good because they were stacked across the middle and the wing. With our current team he is a massive liability and we need more efficiency across half forward because we so rarely go forward. I'd even rather Garlett pay further up the ground than Dawes, because 9 times out of 10, a Dawes contest ends up with the opposition cleaning up his mess and going the other way, and that is so dangerous where he is currently playing, because it's an easier transition from that half forward line.

He has been nothing short of awful, really. He isn't the player we need.

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

mobile as he likes to move upfield & roam thru the middle, as does Hogan as well. thas what I meant.. I still talk in older terminology. (like take a shot "at goal", instead of 'on goal')

nothing to do with his agility, or his speed. just a mobile player covering lots of area.

Diesel Williams was one of the Most mobile players ever.

Ok. I get where you're coming from. Agreed on that part although if i could compare him to say someone like Richo. Albeit he was marginally taller by about 1.5 inches, he was roughly about the same weight/bulk as Dawes.

However, the effectiveness of the two cannot be compared. And i'm not saying all forwards can measure up to Richo on the move. Certainly not expecting Dawes to be able to either. But i'm afraid one was a very 'effective' mobile forward and the other is presently a very 'ineffective' mobile forward.

Edited by Rusty Nails

I think he'd benefit more from playing out of the square with space in front of him. ATM Hogan is a far better target across half forward, because ATM Dawes brings every single ball to the ground, and we don't have the crumbers to clean up the mess. At least with Hogan you know it'll either be a mark, or he has the capacity to follow his ball up. Dawes either falls to the ground over his opponent's feet, or the ball is punched clear because he isn't quick enough to get space between him and his opponent.

Collingwood teams of 2009, 2010 made him looked good because they were stacked across the middle and the wing. With our current team he is a massive liability and we need more efficiency across half forward because we so rarely go forward. I'd even rather Garlett pay further up the ground than Dawes, because 9 times out of 10, a Dawes contest ends up with the opposition cleaning up his mess and going the other way, and that is so dangerous where he is currently playing, because it's an easier transition from that half forward line.

He has been nothing short of awful, really. He isn't the player we need.

Very much i think. But i think we need Hogan and a fit Kent/Salem before doing so otherwise he will just see the ball coming back at him most of the time. We don't presently have AFL standard forward pressure inside our 50 like most other teams do and until we get Kent/Hogan back, Garlett/Vanders are probably the only other mid/forwards that brings a little of that.

Need one more goal hungry small too, buzzing around the Hulk for future years. Like a Milne or Betts type who is great at reading the play and slippery along with 1 or 2 A grade mid fielders who can kick regular goals as well and worry the opposition.

Jetta might be worth a role of the die here for a few games when he returns. We have nothing to lose by trying all avenues to score. I would also play Dunn up there on occasions and see how he roles if Jetta doesn't work just for a change up. Dunn looks very flat and disinterested this year compared to last season and the change might do him the world of good. Our D is strong enough to handle Dunn out of there for a few matches and not like we aint getting our asses whipped with him there now.

But ultimately we need to inject a world of pain and hurt (goal attack wise) around the Hulk to take advantage of his future dominance. Apart from Garlett/Hogan combo we really don't have much to worry the opposition in this present list either up forward or through the mid field. Newton/Kent/Brayshaw/Vanders are possibles once they've had a chance to develop. But this list is presently miles off it in terms of being competitive at AFL level with anyone outside the bottom 6.

Edited by Rusty Nails

On triple M yesterday they said Dawes has taken 2 marks in the forward 50 in the last 5 games. 2 marks ffS!!! Fitz and Gawn could even top that

Ok. I get where you're coming from. Agreed on that part although if i could compare him to say someone like Richo. Albeit he was marginally taller by about 1.5 inches, he was roughly about the same weight/bulk as Dawes.

However, the effectiveness of the two cannot be compared. And i'm not saying all forwards can measure up to Richo on the move. Certainly not expecting Dawes to be able to either. But i'm afraid one was a very 'effective' mobile forward and the other is presently a very 'ineffective' mobile forward.

yeah, Richo was the early model for Buddy & Reiwoldt. big fast & mobile with agility. & enough bulk to not be able to stop him readily. at ground level or in the air against midfielders.

but Richo had the yips kicking for goal. otherwise he could have been anything,,, an AFL legend?

Dawes just isn't in that league, & I don't think we bought him in to be that good. we knew what we was, but hoped for leadership on/off field & a cool head in a crisis. he is that, but with injury interruptions, he can't get any momentum for good form.

we are getting around what we would have hoped for from Dawsey. but we would have hoped for Clark to be the foil for Hogan, with Dawes playing 3rd tall & helping direct the flow.

really the things that have hurt our forward planning over the last 10 years, are underestimating our stinking culture issues, & what it would take to be rid of that... & the effect of our kids not developing, the ones who came into the club when the culture was rotten, & the club leaders were soft at the contest & soft on losing.

The likes of the mortons, the watts, the bennels, the cooks, gysberts, & even Clark's issues have handicapped our ability to rise from the mire.

so Dawes was got, when Clark was here, & we realistically hoped he would be back to flying form. And that watts would be taking the game on.

the rotten culture of pre-Neeld is still haunting us, even tho its been exorcised out of the club, at least this point of time.... see the new kids coming thru since 2012 draft, they are finally developing, since the neeld clean-out started happening.

> http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-melbourne-demons?year=2012

> http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-melbourne-demons?year=2013

> http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/td-melbourne-demons?year=2014

.......... its obvious now that the kids coming thru since the 2012 Neeld era are starting to develop the talents they were drafted for. the club has changed a lot since neeld, even if it was rough pulling those raw scabs off our wounds, back then.

.... it has started the change of culture happening, & Neeld took on the hard jobs, and has set the club up for other coaches to be more interested in it, after those dirty jobs were already taken care of before them.

I'd venture to say Roosy may not have entertained the idea of taking on the job, if the gutsy neeld clean-out had not already taken place.

imo we owe neeld & his team of coaches a big vote of thanks for taking our the trash; & causing 'the new' to start taking place.

the biggest effect on new kids are the senior leaders, if those senior leaders won't chase the hard ball, or go in low, neither will the kids. they simply will learn the wrong things, the wrong wayz...

Edited by dee-luded

He has the aerial ability of an anvil.

and the hands of a Cobra!

• Like 4

Might be the other way around Biff!

Ok.

He has the aerial skills of an earthworm

and the marking ability of a victorian school teacher after 2 bottles of rough country plonk.

• Like 1

At this point Dawes is fortunate we do not have a young crop of forwards pushing through at Casey. If this were the case he would be spending plenty of time in the 2's. As supporters we have to face facts, until we draft or trade for some better talls Dawes is going to be a semi permanent fixure in our forwardline whether he plays well or not.

This hack thinks he can play i don't think he could even kick more then 2 goals in the mangos the games gone past him, if he was 23 he would be delisted watts is a far better player, at least when watts has a good game he looks good, dawes never looks good.

Edited by not angry anymore
  • Like 1

Do a Michael Evans and pay out the last year of his contract.

Let's not beat around the bush, the blokes been a bust.

He makes Pedersen look like Wayne Carey.

One of the more disturbing things on forums like these is posters reeling off American draft terms like bust because they've heard it on ESPN.

A bust is a draft pick that basically contributes nothing of consequence to their team or the competion and then disappears.

Dawes may not be a particularly good player but he is not a bust.

One of the more disturbing things on forums like these is posters reeling off American draft terms like bust because they've heard it on ESPN.

A bust is a draft pick that basically contributes nothing of consequence to their team or the competion and then disappears.

We're paying him at least 500k a year at 4 years in exchange for pick 20 back in 2012.

Sorry but for that investment he''s been a but.

How much would Tory Dickson be on this year? He kicked 7 goals today. Dawes will be lucky to kick 7 goals by the end of June.

"BUST"