Changes for Round 2

Nasher

Kent's primary role was to quell Malceski. I thought he was better defensively.

JKH had moments when in play but unsure how good he was without the ball.

I agree with that. JKH is a bit cleaner with the footy than Kent so his goal assists stand out for the Tyson and late Newton goal. But considering the time on ground difference the possession totals were similar. Kent was credited for 2 tackles compared to JKH's 1 but I think he had a more significant defensive and physical impact than that highlights. His work set up the Toumpas missed handball which still turned in to the Lumumba goal and it also set up an easy chance for Frost from a stoppage. He kicked it to Garlett who got it to Hogan and he won the ball and got it going forward on a number of occasions. He also dropped a couple of tough chances for marks inside 50 that he might've taken on another day. Plus he gets the assist on the first Tyson goal for sure!

I agree with that. JKH is a bit cleaner with the footy than Kent so his goal assists stand out for the Tyson and late Newton goal. But considering the time on ground difference the possession totals were similar. Kent was credited for 2 tackles compared to JKH's 1 but I think he had a more significant defensive and physical impact than that highlights. His work set up the Toumpas missed handball which still turned in to the Lumumba goal and it also set up an easy chance for Frost from a stoppage. He kicked it to Garlett who got it to Hogan and he won the ball and got it going forward on a number of occasions. He also dropped a couple of tough chances for marks inside 50 that he might've taken on another day. Plus he gets the assist on the first Tyson goal for sure!

Very cleverly dished to Lumumba for Watts' first goal too, it was an attacking dish off when instinct and old Melbourne would have been to give it first time to a flat footed Lumumba.

The obvious in is Vince for Toumpas but I don't know who we take out for Dawes, maybe Salem or JKH?

Why JHK out and not Kent?

I think JHK had a better game!

others dont.

Becoming awkward if we deliberate these two.

Very cleverly dished to Lumumba for Watts' first goal too, it was an attacking dish off when instinct and old Melbourne would have been to give it first time to a flat footed Lumumba.

Yep forgot that one. So Kent had a big hand in goals to Tyson, Watts, Lumumba and Hogan, that's not bad for a half forward in 3/4's. JKH had the 2 clean assists I can remember and vandenBerg kicked 1, missed a couple of others, set up the Garlett shot on goal early, set up the other Newton goal and his smothers and grunt coming in off the wing had a role in a couple of other goals .What a novel concept, forwards who score or create goals! Brayshaw had the assist to Jones and the assist to Watts a couple of times (the miss set shot and the dropped mark).

Yep forgot that one. So Kent had a big hand in goals to Tyson, Watts, Lumumba and Hogan, that's not bad for a half forward in 3/4's. JKH had the 2 clean assists I can remember and vandenBerg kicked 1, missed a couple of others, set up the Garlett shot on goal early, set up the other Newton goal and his smothers and grunt coming in off the wing had a role in a couple of other goals .What a novel concept, forwards who score or create goals! Brayshaw had the assist to Jones and the assist to Watts a couple of times (the miss set shot and the dropped mark).

This is the point. Whoever gets dropped, it will have to be someone who played well. So it's probably down to match-ups, and to the particular attributes we want to take into this game.

I love JKH, Kent & Brayshaw, and loved their contributions against GCS, but one of them will have to play for Casey (or emergency) and another will be sub. And neither of those will have "deserved" it.

In: Vince, Dawes

Out: Toumpas, Frost

I advocated keeping Toumpas previously, but I can't see who else could go out on that performance. Despite the fumble I still think he's stiff.

Frost for Dawes only on team balance. It has to be a tall and there are no other candidates. Don't know who rucks for 5 mins per quarter though. Hogan?

Agree. People forget how good Dawes was in several games last year - he was pretty much our only forward option and held his own. Frost isn't quite at the same level yet, he's a rough diamond who's just not a natural forward. It's going to take time.

If it's down to keeping one of JKH and Kent you almost have to pick Kent just for the additional experience.

When he was dropped last year, JKH did an excellent job fighting back into seniors, so I've got no doubt he'll do it again.

Edited by Lamashtu

Disagree. I think that Davis and Patfull will hold their own against Hogan and Watts,and I don't think that Frost and Dawes are damaging forwards. I think that Kent, Garlett and JKH would cause more concerns for GWS.

Haynes will play on Watts and is a very good matchup for him and a terrific young player.

• Like 2

Watts against Mummy. :wacko:

It's not about who goes against Mummy that will be Jamar, it's about who goes against Tomlinson and Frost or Watts should be able to cover him.

Some interesting discussion here. And some that just confuses me.

I would have thought the first question to be asked is not whether Dawes comes in or not but whether Jamar can ruck all day on his own against Mumford. I'd say he can't. And I wouldn't like to go into any game with just one ruckman. So does Frost stay, or is he replaced? If so, by whom? Cutting to the chase, I'd say Frost has to stay as he provides more pace than Gawn, Spencer or any of the other makeshift options.

So, if Frost stays, can he play in the backline and share ruck duties? No. When he's not rucking he's either going to be forward or off the ground. Which means, without any changes, the forward kline holds Hogan, Watts, Frost/Jamar, vandenBerg and the smaller players (Kent, JKH and Garlett).

Now we can discuss Dawes. The most physically similar players left in the forward line who Dawes could theoretically replace are Hogan, Watts and vandenBerg. Do I think Dawes is a better prospect for the game this week than vandenBerg? Yes, I do.

If vandenBerg loses his spot in the forward line, can he fit in elsewhere? Maybe. He'll be fighting for a spot with Brayshaw, Toumpas, JKH, Kent and Vince as a mid/forward. If he has the tank to spend more time in the midfield, vandenBerg may still get selected. If, however, his tank won't allow him to run through the midfield all day, then I think he may be omitted.

As for Vince, for mine it's a question of whether Brayshaw or Toumpas loses their spot. Brayshaw looks the more likely longterm prospect but doesn't yet have the tank. I'd be happy for him to return to Casey until he's needed and for Toumpas to get another game (but not as the sub).

So, assuming no injuries,

IN: Dawes, Vince

OUT: vandenBerg, Brayshaw

One word comes to mind insanity. Toumpas ahead of vandenBerg and Brayshaw please! Are you Mark Neeld?

• Like 1

Toumpas had 16% disposal efficiency. And that's supposed to be his strong point. And in one of the more open games he'll ever get to play in. Not good enough, it was more than just a bad day. I feel for him but he needs an extended run in the VFL and needs to smash the door back down to get back in.

There's no chance at all Frost goes out. None.

People are acting like he will be dropped based on this game. What about his shocker against Essendon? He has been poor 3 out of the last 4 games. You could get away with form like that last year but you shouldn't get away with form like that this year.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-04-07/brayshaw-to-be-managed-in-2015

"That’s the word from coach Paul Roos, who said it was important not to push Brayshaw, who had a game-high nine tackles against the Suns, too much in his first year."

Did I read this correctly - 9 tackles is too much????? In what year should he aim for 9 tackles and it not be too much?

Well he does join some of the stars of the game with that record in Barham, Djerrkura and Tom Couch so that is something you can hang your hat on.

I think people are taking Roos way out of context. He clearly means during the year not necessarily this week, playing him as a sub would be managing him. He doesn't necessarily need to be dropped after 1 game.

Agree. People forget how good Dawes was in several games last year - he was pretty much our only forward option and held his own. Frost isn't quite at the same level yet, he's a rough diamond who's just not a natural forward. It's going to take time.

Planks for Hands He is very frustrating to watch! He works very hard and contests but if he doesnt hold marks he is useless as abig forward

Planks for Hands He is very frustrating to watch! He works very hard and contests but if he doesnt hold marks he is useless as abig forward

Useless?

It would be best if he started to one grab his marks - which he is capable of doing - but to say that a big forward is useless if he doesn't grab them is a bit of hyperbole - Garlett and Kent shouldn't mind if all he does is provide a target and bring it to ground...

• Like 1

Haynes will play on Watts and is a very good matchup for him and a terrific young player.

This. Haynes is a very good player, so with Davis and Patfull also, they have a decent set of tall(ish) defenders.

I would like to see old (young) Frosty boy sent to the backline against his old club, he would have done the majority of his training against the GWS forwards. Let's not make things confusing for Hogan up forward, he is the God there- Dawes and Frost might crowd his area.

I would like to see old (young) Frosty boy sent to the backline against his old club, he would have done the majority of his training against the GWS forwards. Let's not make things confusing for Hogan up forward, he is the God there- Dawes and Frost might crowd his area.

Hogan is just a kid still....He played well last week but he is not "God" up there.....He will need all the assistance he can get.

I would hate for Vandemon to be dropped (re: his discussion with Saty at training today). Wouldn't mind seeing Toump and JKH dropped, to make way for Bernie and Dawes. The only 2 players i was disappointed with. But i think Brayshaw and Toump will be dropped. If Brayshaw isn't dropped then have him as the sub.

head injury wasnt it?

That's what they want you to believe.