POST MATCH DISCUSSION - ROUND 1, 2015

Demonland

Dont be like that Nasher, you know that if Garland doesn't back it up next week we'll have the knives straight into his back.

I know. Happy to ride my high horse for now though. Thought he was excellent today and a timely refresher for quite a few goldfish-like memories around here.

• Like 8

Why change the forward line

Dawes has going to have to train the house down this week

also it isn't about who to drop out.

more than likely, it'll come down to who isn't fit enough, sore or tight...

has Vince done enough work in his legs yet?

Not sure we need both Kent and JKH - Vince will come in and maybe Dawes for Toumpas. I think Frost needs to stay, preferably down back.

maybe if Garland is concussed,,, frost goes back? Dawes in?

Devil man - Rob Zombie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3hP9Sd1sMsM

WAKING THE DEMON

WHERE'D YOU RUN TO

WALKING IN SHADOW'S

WATCH THE BLOOD FLOW

WARNING: A bit of explicit language and a bit extreme for most

Bout time we woke the demon!

Hells Bells was awesome.

Edited by Josh
  • Like 1

The thing that really impressed me today was noticeable drop in momentum killing kicks and clankers.

Mainly because the usual suspects had been dropped to play at Casey.

• Like 9

Loved Brayshaw today. Can't wait till he plays entire games. He is going to be an absolute ripper. Loved Abletts assist to Garlands goal. And Tyson's goal in the second was a great team goal. Fist pumping all day, and lost my voice again. Go Dee's

• Like 7

Nah. You clearly have nfi. Zac Smith was moved to the forward line in favour of gorringe as he was smashed in the ruck by Jamar. But nice story but.

No, it was a good duel but Smith's ruck work set up some good opportunities for GC. He won the battle but only marginally.

I don't like to go to the stats but the ruck stats do tell the story.

• Like 1

All the newbies just wonderful. Hogan will be scary!

• Like 2

Hands down that has to be the best game we've played since 2011. The intent to move the ball forward and to score was evident for the whole game.

The best bit IMO was the way we responded to their challenges. They got it back to 11 (I think) in the third but we fought back, and again in the fourth when Ablett brought it back to 8. I felt the game slipping away, but there was a hardness and a desire there that didn't come out in those close losses last year. Really, really stoked for the team.

We look such a different side this year, the seven inclusions all played their roles. Lumumba and Garlett are two particularly great additions, they both are inherently attacking players and look to move the ball forward by default.

McDonald was incredible, absolutely nullifying repeated GC entries. Still needs to improve his kicking but he showed why he's integral to our side today.

Really impressed with Watts too, worked hard, made space and more repeat efforts than we're used to. Garland being back to 2013 form is also a huge fillip to the side.

Brayshaw can obviously play, as that frame fills out he'll get even better (9 tackles!).

Edit: forgot to mention Howe, coming off an average pre-season I thought he was fantastic all day. Some of our best forays forward involved his attack through the middle/half-back.

One last thing, there were 27,000 there today (a good number in itself) - but the noise felt closer to 60,000 when Lumumba kicked that goal. The Melbourne faithful are as loud as anyone.

Agreed - it's a bit hard to say when sitting in the Members, but I've always thought that 27,000 MFC supporters is far, far louder than 45,000 Carlton, St Kilda, Bulldogs or North fans.

No, it was a good duel but Smith's ruck work set up some good opportunities for GC. He won the battle but only marginally.

I don't like to go to the stats but the ruck stats do tell the story.

I don't agree, I thought Jamar's ruckwork in the second quarter is part of what pushed the game in our favour.

I'm not sure we are going to be able to go all year with Frost as the second ruckman though.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 7

Just brilliant.

I nearly lost it when Toumpas couldn't make the handball into the goal square, then from no where came Lumumba and kicked a goal. And didn't he looked stoked about it!?

Probably the thing I liked most was that it wasn't just Jonesy putting up a fight. Newton, venders, Brayshaw, Garlett, Frost. All added toughness to the side.

It's great seeing Garlett in the forward line. It's been said before but every time he gets the ball he looks dangerous. He was a couple of milimeters away from kicking three when his snap was touched off the boot.

Garland was great too, showed a bit of his 2013 form. T-Mac was crazy good. Very crucial in defence.

Speaking of defence I thought we looked shaky in the second half. GCS clearly put on the after burners but we couldn't seem to stop their advance. I know he's slotted straight in to our best 22 but Howe looked under-done today. Got beaten in defence a couple of times. He's good when he gets it but.

I've got nothing but good things to say about Frost. We already know he's quick, but a couple of times he looked really good contesting after his initial tap in the ruck. I remember one time in particular he grabbed the ball at ground level, dropped it on to his boot and found a man in the forward line. I'll have to watch the game again (I was at the ground) but I was impressed.

I think we can safely say that the Dees recruitment have done a great job (I believe the phrase was "master stroke"..?). No regrets about taking Brayshaw. He may already be my favourite Dee.

• Like 5

Just arrived back home from today's incredible win. Best time I've had watching a Demons game for some years.

- Jesse Hogan is a beast. Haven't seen a player crashing packs and taking marks like that since Neitz.

- VandenBerg. Where did this guy come from? Barlow comparisons are well justified.

- Nathan Jones was his usual brilliant self.

- Watts was immense up forward. With Hogan and Frost taking the key defenders for most of the game, Watts just about did whatever he wanted. Finished with 3 goals. Could this be his year? (Also how good was that tap to Garlett?)

- Jamar and Garland played their best games for some time. Both hit the scoreboard and were involved in some crucial passages of play.

- Jeff Garlett is a new Aaron Davey. Kicked freakish goals and applied forward pressure in a similar manner to Flash. Will do the number #36 justice

- Viney took on God and won. Looked fresh after a disappointing NAB cup.

- Brayshaw already looks like a 100 game player. Finished the day with 9 tackles and helped set up that Jones goal in the 2nd. Could be a possible contender for the Rising Star if Roos keeps playing him.

Incredible game. Go Dees!

• Like 10

Awesome day, very decent (and vocal) crowd considering it was the long weekend and playing against an interstate team.

The highlight for me, apart from seeing all the new faces acquitting themselves well, was our second half. Gold Coast twice had great momentum with a small run of goals. Expecting us to roll over like usual, we successfully arrested the onslaught and kept the scoreboard pressure on. Happy easter all!

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 4

most of the players have already hit twitter saying how good the win was.

Only downside to today is essenscum will beat the swans.

No let them win, we will coast along under the radar and win the first 3. No miracles just solid footy

Just fantastic.

How good is this feeling? It almost feels surreal it's been that long.

We haven't rolled a side like that in ages and it's just sensational to see us take the game on and win. So many other posters have mentioned the positives so there is no need to tread old ground, but the recruits were great and we can already see some genuine improvement in plenty of our players.

I think, for the first time in a while, we can look forward to the season ahead.

• Like 4