Tension at the top?

Demons rising

what if Jackson refused to commit passed say 2016,,,, & Cook was available & committed to go 4 years 2016, '17, '18, 2019 ??? what would you do then?

Who knows if PJ wanted to extend beyond 2015. The only public comments I have read from him since he started indicated his view was he was going to be short term. I thought it was a relief we got him for this year. Maybe that was his choice and GB is looking at his successor. This would be a storm in a tea cup if that's the case and he's sounding out Cook because PJ doesn't want to stay long term. PJ has certainly talked about a succession plan for the CEO.

• Like 4

Who knows if PJ wanted to extend beyond 2015. The only public comments I have read from him since he started indicated his view was he was going to be short term. I thought it was a relief we got him for this year. Maybe that was his choice and GB is looking at his successor. This would be a storm in a tea cup if that's the case and he's sounding out Cook because PJ doesn't want to stay long term. PJ has certainly talked about a succession plan for the CEO.

He has...along similar plans to Roos. Maybe Bartlett sees it being more important to have a senior man in this job for a while longer. I would like us to have an experienced CEO in charge for Goodwin's first few years at a minimum. I would like that to be PJ but if he can't commit then Cook would be a good man to have.

How dare you talk sense here....totally unnecessary :)

• Like 1

A radio rumour - maybe PJ has said he wants to move on.

Failing to consider possible replacements would be negligent.

• Like 2

If the rumour is true, then no matter what you think of Cook (and Jackson), the problem with this situation is that there is some sort of friction between Bartlett and Jackson. That is not good for the club.

I'm not sure if the rumour is true, maybe it's partially true. But if it's 100% true then it's not great.

Looks like it's going no further than 3aw. Would prefer the club say something, but if it's just rumours on a single radio station then I guess no harm done.

I hate this destabilising crap with twisted facts and no good sources. I was another one in the camp of being stoked that PJ decided to stay on another year. If he's keen to stay longer then there's no person I'd prefer in the position, but every year should feel like a bonus. He said from the start this was short term and I'm yet to hear him say otherwise.

Looks like it's going no further than 3aw. Would prefer the club say something, but if it's just rumours on a single radio station then I guess no harm done.

I hate this destabilising crap with twisted facts and no good sources. I was another one in the camp of being stoked that PJ decided to stay on another year. If he's keen to stay longer then there's no person I'd prefer in the position, but every year should feel like a bonus. He said from the start this was short term and I'm yet to hear him say otherwise.

It is not simply a rumour on 3AW, it is now a topic on Demonland giving it twice as much chance of being picked up by the media ratpack!

• Like 1

3AW's Sam McClure said well-respected Geelong CEO Brian Cook was shaping as a possible target for the Demons at season's end, and was a major factor in Bartlett offering Jackson just the single year.

"Bartlett has allegedly claimed he believes he has a very good chance of landing Brian Cook and has elected to keep his options open at season's end," McClure said on Sports Today.

"Given that Jackson's contract is in the region of $600,000 and is not far short of 50 per cent less than what it would take to move Cook, it's regarded as a bold prediction by the club President and a costly one for a club that receives significant funding from the AFL.

"Not all were happy with the state of play and it's believed it played a significant role in the resignation of two recently retired board members.

"Their view was that Jackson's performance and relationship with the AFL has been more than worthy of an extension and that Bartlett risks losing Jackson unless he relents and offers him a longer term deal by mid-season."

Sam McClure...hah.

2 recently retired board members (should have gone with Schwab) who presided over one of the worst periods in the clubs history. Surely they don't want to cause more problems for the club...

Not a chance Cook would get $1.2m. Its not an ASX 200 company. Its a footy club with $70m ish turnover.

Not sure about the Meth Coast days but prior to that they both were involved with East Perth around the same time, so their will be history there

If we can only keep action Jackson for next year or the next 2yrs, & if there was an option to get Brian Cook as ceo for say 4 Yrs, I'll have Cook thanks...

STABILITY comes from a settled Board supporting the CEO & the footy dept'... we need length of tenure from our CEO, not a year by year approach, especially with Roosy only having 2 seasons with us from now.

We need either Jackson to commit to a 4 yr deal now, & we must look for the best available to start with us for the 2016 season, before Mr Roos departs our shores.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

He has...along similar plans to Roos. Maybe Bartlett sees it being more important to have a senior man in this job for a while longer. I would like us to have an experienced CEO in charge for Goodwin's first few years at a minimum. I would like that to be PJ but if he can't commit then Cook would be a good man to have.

For Us, absolutely Crucial !!!

we are half way thru smashing the old soft under belly culture that has haunted us since early 90's, and continued to worsen slowly from that time... Barass initially smashed the previous infestation that grew in Smithy's absence from the late 60's.... from around the time the easybeats were playing their magic.

We have to maintain an experienced & successful topline boss, to manage this rocking ship. the continued growth of healthy culture is dependent on this.

# footnote: maybe Action Jackson should go after some Ethical Nutrients to sponsor the mighty Dees!!!

Yankee Bartlett heads for the door before PJ. I'm sure PJ is difficult and autocratic - I'm sure he doesn't refer to the President or Board for decision making - but who cares - he's landed Roos & Goodwin, major sponsors, AFL special funding and turned a profit this year - best CEO I think we've ever had - and he doesn't spin or sugarcoat anything.

If Bartlett stuffs this up members should call for his head.

• Like 3

We stuck with a crap CEO for year in CS but when the AFL hand pick the best CEO we have probably ever had we want to kick him out.

FFS Melbourne what doesn't you think us supporters have gone through enough?

on another note, when did the HUN start calling soccer Football and Australian Rules AFL. I clicked on the tab 'FOOTBALL' only to be taken to Soccer news. Went back to the sports home page and aw that the tab for Footy is AFL.

all run out of SinCity these days