Jack Trengove re-injures his navicular (2014) - trade deal off

Wiseblood

peter ryan @AFL_petryan Follow

A positive in gloom for Trengove @melbournefc Steve Johnson failed a medical blocking his move to Collingwood 06 - 3 premierships later...

different injury. Knees seem to come good a lot more often than navicular problems.

On days like today suppose you claw at whatever hope is around.

If his foot can't recover during off season-maintenace , how is it gunna be when he ramps up into preseason again? Sad but he is up against it for the longer term. A huge long term doubt now!

• Like 1

Nothing like the Egan situaation

Egan did his late in the season and he tried to come back for the grand final and totally stuffed it. JT has had a normal recovery and it just hasn't worked.

I was referring to both having recurring complications to the injury if which ended Egan career and I fear could do the same to Jack.

Fairly obvious Jack did not try to get back for a grand final.

different injury. Knees seem to come good a lot more often than navicular problems.

On days like today suppose you claw at whatever hope is around.

You do indeed and I hope for his sake he goes on to be a legend at the club.

I would love to lay some blame on Richmond, but you can't blame them for wanting to put him through his paces. They needed to be 100% certain.

If anything, it is the club that saw fit to let him do a medical. They took on the risk.

I'm not blaming anyone - as I said we don't know what really happened. It could be he was pushed too hard compared to where he was up to, or he pushed himself too hard, or it was about to happen regardless or that Richmond simply did a scan which revealed the problem without doing anything physical.

Let's just hope he does finally recover and is part of our future success.

• Like 2

So after 12 months on the sidelines he is no nearer to a return

So maybe the club should reexamine the treatment strategy or write him off and move on. Surely a part of the list management involves a risk assessment of all players who have injuries

Tough decision for the club to make now. Jack will be lucky to play at all next year now by the time this heals, if it does at all.

Do we bite the bullet and open up another spot on the list by delisting Jack now and bring him back on as a rookie and continue to treat his injury and stick by him?

• Like 1

Tough decision for the club to make now. Jack will be lucky to play at all next year now by the time this heals, if it does at all.

Do we bite the bullet and open up another spot on the list by delisting Jack now and bring him back on as a rookie and continue to treat his injury and stick by him?

not a bad idea this

I hope you weren't one of the one's talking about loyalty and all. Keep him on the list and give him the best chance at a career. He's more than earned that.

• Like 8

No biggy, would've shifted us up 10 or so spots in the draft order.

From 10-25 this draft is fairly even.

We get to keep Trengove and give him another shot at playing, feel good story.

I reckon he'll bounce back.

Your optimism has no place here.

rumours saying watts is up for trade but i would keep him off limits

I wish it was Watts Richmond were inquiring about and not Trengove.

So after 12 months on the sidelines he is no nearer to a return

So maybe the club should reexamine the treatment strategy or write him off and move on. Surely a part of the list management involves a risk assessment of all players who have injuries

well, it's actually only been six months on the sidelines.

he had a couple of games in the vfl before it was diagnosed, i seem to remember.

I'm sure the club will do its duty in providing JT the best medical outcome, and whilst I don't want to pre-empt further diagnostics, the club would be crazy to keep him on the list, rookie or otherwise. It's become unlikely his foot will recover to AFL standard now, and if it does, it's a very very long and uncertain road back. A horrible situation, but the way footy is, there's no room for keeping players on as an act of pure good will with no value to be gained on game day.

• Like 2

Not only is JT fighting for his career, he will be doing it at a club that openly tried to trade him.

He won't be a FA next year as it stands but I think the relationship between club and player has been changed irrevocably now.

I am not one to get overly despondent but even if he recovers, I don't think we will see the following renaissance.

• Like 4

I hope you weren't one of the one's talking about loyalty and all. Keep him on the list and give him the best chance at a career. He's more than earned that.

I'm just being pragmatic.

I'm sure the club will do its duty in providing JT the best medical outcome, and whilst I don't want to pre-empt further diagnostics, the club would be crazy to keep him on the list, rookie or otherwise. It's become unlikely his foot will recover to AFL standard now, and if it does, it's a very very long and uncertain road back. A horrible situation, but the way footy is, there's no room for keeping players on as an act of pure good will with no value to be gained on game day.

I'd like to think the club has done its job properly and its just bad luck. But I have a nagging doubt....