Jack Trengove re-injures his navicular (2014) - trade deal off

Wiseblood

Adelaide have pick 10...Might be looking at its value also

Adelaide can easily trump the Toiges....and still keep their precious 10

It might be about to get very interesting

12 is overs imho on current status but youd have to look at what they may also get you in the wheeling and dealing.

Melbourne have come to Trade Week as players and play we will :)

• Like 1

And what level will Beam's game be at in 3 or 4 years? This year's performance is only part of the equation if you are going to give up the kind of high draft picks that have been mooted.

He is 24, not even at the peak of his powers yet! I say in the next 3/4 years he could be top 5 in the league. Better than anything we've had in a while......

Jonesy has shown you can ge better & better every year, Harvey & Goodes hit their primes pushing 30!!

• Like 1

I think this stuff about 'it's a business' is a misnomer.
Last time I checked you need to have some values if you do business.
If you treat your employees like crap, future employees of high ability won't want a bar of you or your organization as they won't want the same to happen to them if the proverbial hits the fan.

Adelaide have pick 10...Might be looking at its value also

Adelaide can easily trump the Toiges....and still keep their precious 10

It might be about to get very interesting

12 is overs imho on current status but youd have to look at what they may also get you in the wheeling and dealing.

Melbourne have come to Trade Week as players and play we will :)

Couldn't agree more, and by acknowledging this on Friday arvo as a club we give the rest of the clubs notice & the weekend to think about it, that we are willing to look seriously into anything, thus if they want a trade let the bidding begin!

Lot of ifs in there Macca. If Trengove now has an injury that will not return to 100% we cannot carry him on the list.

We cannot carry anyone in that position...2011 was nearly 4 years ago

If Jack can play uninjured next year then of course he must be retained.

Carrying one player the likes of Trengove is no biggie for me ... after all, we've been carrying a multitude of C & D graders every year for the past 8 years. I can almost guarantee that once our list is finally settled upon after this drafting and trading period, we'll still have 6-10 "iffy" players on our list.

Even the best clubs take a chance with 2 - 4 spots on a list. Drafting any 17/18 year old is a risk. Often it's a high risk especially when considering what a top end draft pick may or may not deliver.

There's basically 2 camps here - those who believe he will or might recover from injury and start displaying good form and ... those who don't - they want to cut their losses and move on.

Then there's the loyalty factor and how that can effect the culture of a club. We decry the attitude of many of our players wanting out (Scully, Clark, Sylvia, Rivers, Martin, Moloney & Frawley etc etc) but when we've a chance to show a bit of faith, suddenly a player becomes "expendable"

Understand the love for Trenners but gee wizz some people need to relax and have a little faith in Roosy!!!

You've hit the nail on the head nuts, the drafting under Roos was top drawer last year and I see no reason why a repeat is not in the pipeline.

They better get this right.

That's the guts of my opinion.

I want to get better and we are rumoured to be moving on two blokes with feet issues on good coin who played a total of 2 games last season. I understand the desire to get some output for your outlay.

But clubs are funny things, they drive and thrive on emotion and just because you were apart of the failed times, doesn't mean you can't be apart of the success.

This smacks me as a cog in a larger plan or they really like this Lever kid who might be there around ND12.

• Like 12

If you treat your employees like crap, future employees of high ability won't want a bar of you or your organization as they won't want the same to happen to them if the proverbial hits the fan.

Totally agree with you on this. When anybody starts sprouting off about it's a business in any life pursuit it's usually code for we can screw you no matter the legality, ethics or consequences.

If you are building a culture then ethics and respect are a part of how you do things otherwise it's just like the many businesses who continually tell us people are their most important assets whilst their actions clearly show they aren't at all.

• Like 1

not a real business - a "not for profit business" if you like

Who said we are treating him like crap? Could be done like this:

"Look, trenners, we have a massive deal in the works to improve the clubs list but the only player they are interested in is you to get us what we need to do the deal. They are offering you big bucks & security of a 3 year contract which at this stage given your injury concerns & given what we've already invested in you, we are not willing to match at this time. Are you interested in having a look?" The rest is up to trenners, he can't & won't go unless he wants to & if he, having been witness to all the crap this club is coming out from can't see why we'd entertain such a trade then he is not as bright as I believe him to be. He may be disappointed, but he still has his own destiny in his hands.

Jack Trengove WAS LOYAL TO MFC IN OUR DARKEST DAYS.

MFC MUST show him the same respect.

Get some ba@#lls and tell Richmond to "firetruck" off.

Loyal? We have been more than loyal to him, he has not performed.

He has been a disastrous draftee right up there with Watts, Toumpas, Gysberts and Cook considering we could have got Martin who is 10 times the player Trengove is.

Barry signed a 2 year deal. As loyal as they come never get rid of this bloke, it doesn't matter if he plays in the reserves for the rest of his career keep him. McKenzie could of gone to Adelaide but chose Melbourne LOYAL never let him go.

It's about time we traded out our drafting failures before they become like Morton where we could only get pick 88 for him.

His loyalty being compared to Flower and McDonald is a joke. Loyalty is when you are that good you can go to any club you like for more success and\or money but choose to stay at the club because you love the club.

Flower was famous for it, Lyon, Stynes, Viney, Neitz, McDonald etc all loyal and Jones has the chance to be put in that bracket if he chooses to sign up next year, Trengove is barely in our best 22.

• Like 2

That's the guts of my opinion.

I want to get better and we are rumoured to be moving on two blokes with feet issues on good coin who played a total of 2 games last season. I understand the desire to get some output for your outlay.

But clubs are funny things, they drive and thrive on emotion and just because you were apart of the failed times, doesn't mean you can't be apart of the success.

This smacks me as a cog in a larger plan or they really like this Lever kid who might be there around ND12.

It's one of thoes moves where you'd love to know the thinking or whats happening behind the scense before it happens - but we can't and may never know

As you said rfpc they'll want to get this move right because if they get it wrong it will upset a lot of people including me.

I don't think the clubs had better people in charge for a very long time (Roos, Viney, Mahoney) so I trust their decision making.... I love Tengove but facts are he's never set the world on fire and his injury could be an issue

Interesting times ahead - let's hope they get it right

We've been paying this bloke very good $$ (along with numerous others) whilst underperforming, injury excuses/reasons or not. We have been loyal, now we see a way to better ourselves, so too bad. I rate Roos, PJ, Viney, Mahoney & Taylor's thoughts on this above Trenners or anyone here for that matter.

Btw, Roos came for $$..... So did Clark..... Ablett Jnr & Buddy?!? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but just give me much more than 4 wins next year please!!!!! I don't care who we have to trade to make OUR team successful again!!

Trengove is my favourite player so this makes me a little sad but really, he isn't comfortably in our best 22 unless he can recapture early form, the MFC need to be ruthless, pick 12 will be a very good player, and one that hasn't been scarred by the last eight years.

You say that with such confidence yet the last six pick 12s were as follows:

Ben Lennon

Kristian Jaksch

Sam Docherty

Lucas Cook

Kane Lucas

Lewis Johnson

Talking through your hat.

That's 85 games total. From a possible....483ish

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

The thing is that anyone saying stuff like, "it's a business" then have no right to be angry at any player choosing to leave the club for more money. Doesn't stop them though.

Then your alone.....

Harry Collier Trophy 2009

2009 AFL Rising Star nominee Rd 17

Collingwood premiership player 2010

All-Australian Team 2012

3AW AFL Player of the Year 2012

Copeland Trophy 2012

Has finished top 5 at the brownlow, played exceptionally in big games & finals, has led the league in various stats over the years.......

Yeah, he's done more than Mitch Clark, Frawley & Trengove combined by the age of 24!!!

Does it not bother you just a little that Brisbane have refused to give more than pick 5 for him, yet we are presumably going to dump Trengove to get our hands on pick 12 because pick 3 alone isn't enough for the Pies?

That's Crazy Vossy territory. Inviting the Pies to bend us over, just because Brisbane (of all clubs) refused to!

All this because we need to be, above all, "ruthless". We're only being "ruthless" to ourselves!

Pies must be in hysterics seeing what we're prepared to do to our self-respect, just to bid overs for someone who wants to leave anyway.

• Like 1

If we trade Trengove, especially if it against his wishes it will just be another in a long line of moronic things this club does on an almost weekly basis. Trengove showed loyalty by extending with us when he didn't have to a few years back. He has a lot of upside. He is the kind of character the MFC needs amongst the playing group if it is to survive. All that should have happened when Richmond approached us with this talk would be to say 'thanks but no thanks', and re-enforce (either publicly or privately) to our players that we love Trengove for his committment and loyalty to the MFC and we believe he can become a champion in this league. The fact that it has gained this much traction just feels to me like another royal MFC F%&k up.

• Like 1

A serious question to the masses

of the 50 years since we last won a flag (im an 80s baby so i've only really followed for the last 15 - 20 years), we've had probably 10 - 12 really strong years, a lot of [censored] years and some mediocre times.

How willing as a club are we to be ruthless for success one way or the other??

There is a fine line here between ruthlessness and stupidity - but we've seen the big clubs make big moves how willing are we?

• Like 4

Does it not bother you just a little that Brisbane have refused to give more than pick 5 for him, yet we are presumably going to dump Trengove to get our hands on pick 12 because pick 3 alone isn't enough for the Pies?

That's Crazy Vossy territory. Inviting the Pies to bend us over, just because Brisbane (of all clubs) refused to!

All this because we need to be, above all, "ruthless". We're only being "ruthless" to ourselves!

Pies must be in hysterics seeing what we're prepared to do to our self-respect, just to bid overs for someone who wants to leave anyway.

No, I think pick 5 & 25 is unders for him too & the Pies have simply walked away. I think Pick 3 & 12 would be a win-win Roosy special for either of Danger or Beams. Beams at 24 years of age has shown as much & accomplished as much as very few before him. Judd went for pick 2 or 3 & Kennedy who was a top 5 pick also. Plus I DON'T RATE McCartin or Wight anywhere near as highly as others here, I actually think this is a weak draft & the most certain players for mine are Petracca, Brayshaw & Heeney! That's just my opinion & I really doubt the saints or whoever ends up with pick 1 won't take Petracca. Hence why the saints were happy to look at trading down.