Patrick Dangerfield

Demonsterative

OK, thanks i get it

the issue is not compensation but the consequences of "netting"

so if a club loses a FA, they are disincented to bring in a FA for fear of netting, thus reducing the possibilities of FA movement thus the AFLPA's concern

the solution doesn't have to be getting rid of the compo, just get rid of the netting

so, have compo (or potential compo) on a trade by trade basis

no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater

As has been stated above Front Loading contracts is now a thing of the past.

Players cannot have both.

Compensation picks won't last. Frawley for pick 3 is the bargain of the last 30 odd years

Compensation will be a big hole in player contract payments which will need to be filled with either a like player or better

Taylor Walker has been made captain of Adelaide for 2015 and beyond.

Surely that only fuels the Danger rumours now for the rest of the year...

Wonder why Van Berlo stepped down or was demoted. He's still in the leadership group. Wouldn't have thought Tex was the best fit as captain. As captain is he still allowed to swill beer from the sidelines when injured? Clearly the Crows are suspicious as to whether Danger and Sloan will jump ship at the end of the year.

From a long way away it seems like an odd decision.

• Like 1

Wonder why Van Berlo stepped down or was demoted. He's still in the leadership group. Wouldn't have thought Tex was the best fit as captain. As captain is he still allowed to swill beer from the sidelines when injured? Clearly the Crows are suspicious as to whether Danger and Sloan will jump ship at the end of the year.

Well Mr Shadow they do have an odd coach now so anything is possible.

A friend from Adelaide remarked to me the other day that he thought he might be their "MN"

So Tex is the new captain at Adelaide:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-14/its-captain-tex?utm_medium=RSS

strangest part of that article is this:

"The appointment of Walker as captain increases the chances of Patrick Dangerfield leaving the club as a free agent at the end of 2015".

There is obviously a lot more going on at Adelaide than is apparent at the moment. Did Dangerfield want to be captain? Does he not like Walker? Does this alter Dangerfields contract expectations, because Walker is getting more money?

OK, thanks i get it

the issue is not compensation but the consequences of "netting"

so if a club loses a FA, they are disincented to bring in a FA for fear of netting, thus reducing the possibilities of FA movement thus the AFLPA's concern

the solution doesn't have to be getting rid of the compo, just get rid of the netting

so, have compo (or potential compo) on a trade by trade basis

no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater

Too open to rorting by clubs - clubs swap free-agents of equal value and both get a compensation pick in addition.

I think:

• Ditching compo for UFAs is a good idea.
  • Maybe some restriction on top 4 clubs taking RFAs
  • Maybe clubs have to sacrifice their "pick after" the awarded compensation pick when they take an RFA, sort of similar to F/S. So MFC still get pick 3 for Frawley as per curent rules, but Hawthorn have to give up their 1st rounder (20 something?) for Frawley (that pick is used on Frawley in the draft a la F/S), so that there's some cost to the receiving club.

Too open to rorting by clubs - clubs swap free-agents of equal value and both get a compensation pick in addition.

How is that any different to what happened at the Hawks? They lose Buddy in 2013, keep their compo and then pick up Frawley for nothing last year. The rorting is already happening with the current rules.

From Adelaide's perspective are they really going to appoint a bloke as Captain who won't commit to the club? How stupid would they look if they make him captain and he then still left at the end of the season. Not great when the leader of the place knicks off as the Bulldogs found out this year.

I think they have done the only thing they could have in the circumstances

• Like 3

Dangerfield to D's is a tricky one. One player does not maketh a team. IMO you have to have a list and a team ready to go to justify going and spending $1+mill on one midfielder. I don't think we have either yet.

I was desparate for us to get Judd but now you look back on it would it have been worth our while to have been spending $1.2mill a year on him for the past 7yrs or however long it has been. What has it ultimately achieved for Carltank? I'm sure it was great having him around off field but in the big picture what difference did he make to their fortunes in the end. In the end they haven't had the list around him to justify it. Do we really have the list yet to justify that sort of spend on Dangerfield? Maybe by 2017 but not by 2016.

I'd rather spend it on someone like a Jeremy Cameron who is going to complete your goal to goal line spine for many years to come.

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 4

From Adelaide's perspective are they really going to appoint a bloke as Captain who won't commit to the club? How stupid would they look if they make him captain and he then still left at the end of the season. Not great when the leader of the place knicks off as the Bulldogs found out this year.

I think they have done the only thing they could have in the circumstances

I agree that they didn't have much choice under the circumstances. Even prior to this decision, the writing was on the wall from the non-committal way he was talking. He's gone.

If we can rise to around mid table next season, I certainly wouldn't rule out landing him here.

I think:

• Ditching compo for UFAs is a good idea.
  • Maybe some restriction on top 4 clubs taking RFAs
  • Maybe clubs have to sacrifice their "pick after" the awarded compensation pick when they take an RFA, sort of similar to F/S. So MFC still get pick 3 for Frawley as per curent rules, but Hawthorn have to give up their 1st rounder (20 something?) for Frawley (that pick is used on Frawley in the draft a la F/S), so that there's some cost to the receiving club.

there's some merit in your ideas

at least we agree that the current fa system is not well thought through and changes are desired

Dangerfield to D's is a tricky one. One player does not maketh a team. IMO you have to have a list and a team ready to go to justify going and spending $1+mill on one midfielder. I don't think we have either yet.

I was desparate for us to get Judd but now you look back on it would it have been worth our while to have been spending $1.2mill a year on him for the past 7yrs or however long it has been. What has it ultimately achieved for Carltank? I'm sure it was great having him around off field but in the big picture what difference did he make to their fortunes in the end. In the end they haven't had the list around him to justify it. Do we really have the list yet to justify that sort of spend on Dangerfield? Maybe by 2017 but not by 2016.

I'd rather spend it on someone like a Jeremy Cameron who is going to complete your goal to goal line spine for many years to come.

I would not spend too much time worrying about him coming to the dees.

He is going to Geelong or perhaps Hawthorn if they are prepared to spend up really big.

Why would he come to the MFC it is similar to staying at Adelaide.

The only faint chance we have of getting him is if we were to end up 8th this year and are prepared to pay well over the odds.

I agree with you under those conditions I don't think he is worth it.

• Like 1

I really think we have no chance of getting him. you may be able to argue slightly that if we turn our fortunes around and finish top 6 there is a chance, but i still think its 0% personally.

What do we know about last trade period (if we were interested):

• We had a [censored] load of money available.
  • An awesome coach and coaching succession set up with Goodwin.
  • Could have given a draft pick or two (say 3 and 23/ player) to Adelaide.

But he never came.

Why would he then leave this year and come to us:

• Gets paid the same
  • Adelaide get a combpo pick worse than we would've given
  • One year less under roosy.

If he hates adelaide and doesn't want them compensated anywhere near as well, then this 2nd scenario works well. I think its hawthorn (has buddys money) or geelong (hometown advantage and if clark plays well..), cant really see a melbourne based club otherwise having a shot.

But we will have to wait until the end of the year :)

Go dees!

Dangerfield to Dee's is a no brainer. We'd have the cap space with Clarke and Frawley leaving this year, and few other players pressing for top 50 AFL player type pay deals at the moment. He's in the top 10 players in the competition.

A midfield of Dangerfield, Jones, Tyson, Vince, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Toumpas, etc... would allow us to compete with and defeat the best teams in the competition in 2016, at least in the midfield.

If we play soft, and let him go to another club, it simply means we're accepting being mediocre for longer.

• Like 6

Well Mr Shadow they do have an odd coach now so anything is possible.

A friend from Adelaide remarked to me the other day that he thought he might be their "MN"

He certainly will galvanise opinion 'old dee', positive and negative. If he doesn't get early wins he could easily lose the players and then he will be in trouble. I thought he was a strange appointment.

I really think we have no chance of getting him. you may be able to argue slightly that if we turn our fortunes around and finish top 6 there is a chance, but i still think its 0% personally.

What do we know about last trade period (if we were interested):

• We had a [censored] load of money available.
  • An awesome coach and coaching succession set up with Goodwin.
  • Could have given a draft pick or two (say 3 and 23/ player) to Adelaide.

But he never came.

Why would he then leave this year and come to us:

• Gets paid the same
  • Adelaide get a combpo pick worse than we would've given
  • One year less under roosy.

If he hates adelaide and doesn't want them compensated anywhere near as well, then this 2nd scenario works well. I think its hawthorn (has buddys money) or geelong (hometown advantage and if clark plays well..), cant really see a melbourne based club otherwise having a shot.

But we will have to wait until the end of the year :)

Go dees!

You're probably right but I suspect the scenario will be whether he is moving to maximise what he can earn as a player for the rest of his career or he is moving for success. The Cats have had a long held policy that no player gets paid overs compared to the whole group. This certainly applied during the Premiership years. Hawkins will command a huge sum if that doesn't apply anymore, so I'm not sure it is a fait a compli that he'll end up there unless he's happy to play there for less than a team like us would pay him.

• Like 1

It's probably a positive sign he's not hanging around the Crows, but I still think we're a far cry from landing him. We need to start showing some serious improvement on-field. Knocking off a few of last year's finalists would be a good start.

• Like 2

Dangerfield to Dee's is a no brainer. We'd have the cap space with Clarke and Frawley leaving this year, and few other players pressing for top 50 AFL player type pay deals at the moment. He's in the top 10 players in the competition.

A midfield of Dangerfield, Jones, Tyson, Vince, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Salem, Toumpas, etc... would allow us to compete with and defeat the best teams in the competition in 2016, at least in the midfield.

If we play soft, and let him go to another club, it simply means we're accepting being mediocre for longer.

I don't think it's a matter of playing soft but as 'GNF' noted on another thread Hogan could well be a star, I think he will be and we will have to pay him much more than 500k to keep him in the next couple of years and as I have posted before I think Tyson will be in the top 5 mids in the AFL. I'm not in the get 'Danger' camp, I think we are on the right track now but 2015 will start to tell the story.

Also remember Roos doesn't have a history of recruiting big names, that came at Sydney before (Plugger) and after (Tippett, Buddy) him unless you count Hall and I would think he really established himself at the Swans. Although Free Agency does offer other opportunities that weren't around then. Interesting times ahead.

I don't think it's a matter of playing soft but as 'GNF' noted on another thread Hogan could well be a star, I think he will be and we will have to pay him much more than 500k to keep him in the next couple of years and as I have posted before I think Tyson will be in the top 5 mids in the AFL. I'm not in the get 'Danger' camp, I think we are on the right track now but 2015 will start to tell the story.

Also remember Roos doesn't have a history of recruiting big names, that came at Sydney before (Plugger) and after (Tippett, Buddy) him unless you count Hall and I would think he really established himself at the Swans. Although Free Agency does offer other opportunities that weren't around then. Interesting times ahead.

Maybe, part of our challenge going forward is we have little "dead wood" now on our list, as we rise our top end picks dry up, and given the age and performance of our list we should have spare Money in the cap to pay a big fish.

If not Dangerfield, I think that the top clubs (Geelong-Clarke, Hawks-Frawley, Syd-Buddy, Port-Ryder) are demonstrating how to use FA to stay in the top 4-6 and in contention. When we get close we too will need to pull those levers.

Ablett a CG has demonstrated how effective one great player can be in lifting the fortunes of his club.

Edited by PaulRB

Taylor Walker has been made captain of Adelaide for 2015 and beyond.

Surely that only fuels the Danger rumours now for the rest of the year...

I had thought he was coming to Melbourne to live with Bernie and play for the Dees?!

At least that's what someone here reckoned late last year when they spotted him having coffee somewhere with Bernie and looking at some real estate cards in a Richmond shop window ...

• Like 2

I had thought he was coming to Melbourne to live with Bernie and play for the Dees?!

At least that's what someone here reckoned late last year when they spotted him having coffee somewhere with Bernie and looking at some real estate cards in a Richmond shop window ...

Condition of body=average or below

Age=average

MMMeeeeeehhh we can do without him by 2016

Agree, articulation is not one of Tex's strong points