Post Match Discussion - Round 22

Demonland

Sad. Very very sad.

That is just so sad for the little guy. I used to take my kids to the footy at that age decked out in their Melbourne gear - and we were winning more games then. But poor performance and peer pressure won in the end. They both now follow other teams. I am the last family member standing who is a Dees supporter. It's sad as when I was six, my entire family were Dee supporters. We are a dying breed.

• Like 1

I have been a demons supporter since 1964. My children both follow MFC. My daughter has lived in the UK for 17 years or so and regularly gets up in the wee hours to watch the demons play when it is televised. She has 2 boys who know nothing about AfL. At the end of September they are moving back to to Australia. How do I convince my grand children and son in law to follow MFC?

I missed the first half as I was out last night got home put my son to bed and flicked on the second half. Within minutes I'd switched to the other game and was just flicking back and forth for the rest of the night, mostly staying on the other game and amazed at how easy the game looks when you hit targets and run.

The boys put the effort in but the turnovers are just killing us, we really struggled once we got to half forward line we stopped/propped and turned it over. I am not as down as I was last season because as slight as it is we have improved. We can find the ball which is something we struggled to do under Neeld so that is a plus

Very top heavy and once the ball hit the ground in our forward line we were toast, I gave big Fitzy a vote for effort tonight but sorry if we are being ruthless he is not going to make it, will have the occasional decent game but one of them to say no been to long try something else. Jack Watts must be traded whilst we can still get something for him, he just doesn't have the make up to utilise the tools at his disposal. Garland what has happened to the player of a couple of years ago, really struggling with confidence.

So whilst I see improvement still a few tough years ahead

Agreed 'Pennant', his goals were small forward goals. AT 200cm he can't take a strong grab let alone a contested one, game over for Fitz. If we're lucky we may get a trade.

• Like 1

it sounds like roosy cant wait for the season to end. He has had his first season with them. If we are in the same spot this time next year then I will be furious but lets just get through next week with no serious injuries and come back r1 next year. Again.

That makes about 35 000 +1

• Like 2

I have been a demons supporter since 1964. My children both follow MFC. My daughter has lived in the UK for 17 years or so and regularly gets up in the wee hours to watch the demons play when it is televised. She has 2 boys who know nothing about AfL. At the end of September they are moving back to to Australia. How do I convince my grand children and son in law to follow MFC?

money
  • Like 2

Cross=justa gun.

Viney=makes the cut on effort and will develop better awareness.

Gawn=another developer.

Frawley=just not sure,early in game looked bored and then tried.similar to col sylvia,tries when wants

We have so many players with and upside its not funny.

But we have so many with no upside and they should be traded or shown the door.

For all the JW lovers,i will try to put him into a simple place,he has no upside end of story.If you want a football explanation i will be happy to write a whole page on his downside.

• Like 2

Family I lived with in the US 20 years ago, their 19yr old grandson is in Melb for a week as part of his gap year travels. He has chosen the Dees v Norf game as his 1 and only AFL game. I strongly advised he should burn the tickets and go to the Dons v Blues game, silly boy declined and will be 1 of about 8,000 there.

we are all also a part of the problem over the years.., we always want another flower, another stretch, but not another Grinter or Whelan. or Brett Lovett or Graeme Yeates.

That is exactly the problem

Edited by dl4e

enough of the negative, we all know what went wrong time to see if we can see any light at the end of the tunnel.

eagles kicked 13 of their goals in 2 quarters, I expect that was probably the end that their supporters were at, given the free kick count amongst other things. We will always be a man down playing in Adelaide and WA with the way the umpires are influenced by the local crowd.

We were more competitive in the 2nd quarter and we won the last quarter on the score board, it can be said that the eagles had probably slowed down, but given they were after percentage I dont think they slowed down too much.

We had a lot of passengers that will not be there next year, players who were not accountable for their man, did not man up, did not lead, did not chase, did not tackle, these players will be replaced with more proven players given Roo's strategy of trading some of our early draft picks. If we can pickup Malcheski and a couple of other quality players that will certainly help our backline defense.

Our backline lacks a leader, Chip was supposed to be that leader but has failed to be the backline general when he is there, McDonald is a great spoiler but does not look to be a leader, i think Dunn is trying to be that leader but is probably not up to it.

Next year Hogan will be playing forward for us, another year and preseason will help quite a few of our players, Gawn especially, if he can work on his marking a bit more, i.e. body position etc he would be a massive gain for our forward line as well as on the ball.

We won a lot of the stats tonight including contested possessions, but strangely enough we were afraid to kick to a contest, surely if we are winning contested possessions you should be able to kick to our of your team mates to one side or another to give him some sort of advantage.

We have early draft picks, and an outside chance at a priority pick which will help bring some quality either through the draft or trading.

There is obviously the remote hope that Mich can get himself well and return to play for the Dees,

Lastly only one more round of pain to go this year, before the optimism that comes with the draft season kicks in once more filling the remaining supporters with some form of hope for the future.

18) And lastly, had one of the saddest walks back to the car at the end of the game as my little 6 year old son (who'd attended his first game) had started crying in the 3rd quarter telling me in a broken voice "Why did the umpire give the Eagle the free kick". We made it through to the end without any further tears, but then on the walk back to the car poor little bloke balled his eyes out for a solid 20 minutes as we walked amongst a bunch of happy Eagles fans (to their credit nobody said anything to push it in our face, that's what Dockers fans do, and we even had a couple of old ladies offering a sympathetic remark, such is the feeling of pity that other supporters now have for us Melbourne fans, pretty bloody ordinary finish to the night. I didn't really know what to tell him, just the usual stuff "it's only a game" "we'll be better next year" "the players aren't trying, but next year most of them won't be there" (how I hope this is true). To be honest, I have very little belief that they will actually get better but I had to tell the poor kid something. When I dropped a philosophical concept on him I knew I was really starting to scrape the barrel, told him "listen, just remember how bad this night feels because it'll make it all the more satisfying when we actually start winning again"

You have to be a good, good person to still barrack for Melbourne, Those who still go to games must be of the highest character. Those who go to a Demon's game in Perth are no less than saints. Well done to you and your little fella' leucopogon and to all the other Demon supporters there.

• Like 3

That is just so sad for the little guy. I used to take my kids to the footy at that age decked out in their Melbourne gear - and we were winning more games then. But poor performance and peer pressure won in the end. They both now follow other teams. I am the last family member standing who is a Dees supporter. It's sad as when I was six, my entire family were Dee supporters. We are a dying breed.

This is a massive problem for the Demons administration IMO.

My kids would have lost interest years ago and stopped following afl all together if it wasn't for me but make no mistake it's very bloody difficult.

How can we as parents keep selling hope when I find it very hard to see it myself.

I am normally excited come preseason with the good training reports and positivity coming out of the club but next season will be the first time I will wait and c what we do on the park before I get excited.

Footy is meant to be enjoyed in our limited leisure time but it's far from that, it's more a chore.

• Like 2

The young kids are tired and when kids get tired they lose concentration. Most of our young players would fail 'sandpit' at Kinder garden at the moment. The problem is AFL is so intense you can't drop off a tiny fraction.

No 2 way running, confusion when in possession, poor kicking and hand passing.

That is why Roos wants a mid with a couple of preseasons under his belt.

I just want this season to stop!!!!!

All the above and compared to other clubs we have had a reasonable run with injuries. Trengove and Hogan to come back in should help a lot providing another couple of key players do not fall off the back of the truck with injury.

I've just found out that my daughter can read an AFL ladder. 'Why are Demons down the bottom?' 'Typo sweetheart '

Too early to explain the conspiracy against us but in time I'm sure you can recite it to her.

• Like 1

I've just found out that my daughter can read an AFL ladder. 'Why are Demons down the bottom?' 'Typo sweetheart '

Wish her happy 18th from me.

• Like 2

just listened to Roos post match interview. Said he wouldn't be playing Hogan next week because he was just a tiny tiny bit sore after the game...

1. sore where? all over or his back

2. a nice early start for MFCSS, eh!

Or he could just be sore in general after having not played football since February. Standard stuff really.

• Like 1

Watts is a low level player with good foot skills. I doubt he would get a game in a district team the way he is playing at present, without his famous draft pick number. He needs a lot of training in tackling, body on body work, and his core strength needs building up and the way he runs needs sorting out so that his centre of gravity is lower like ablett or Judd. He is still very immature and may develop with a lot if gym work, skills work and coaching. His dislike of contact and rough stuff is a big worry though for a footballer.

• Like 1

Blissfully, I haven't seen a single second of the game.

There may not be any, but can someone briefly outline any positives? Cross on Priddis appeared to work? Vince, N Jones and Tyson also looked ok? How about Gawn? Any other positives?

same old,same old.

pederson=tried

max=slight glimpse

cross=earning everything and must shake his head .

JW=same,but now cant play against smallss.

blah blah blah

But next years looking like an improvement{put that bit in there to entice feedback]

Just watched the AFL.com highlights.

Could a team look any more bereft of confidence than we do? There's no life, there's no confidence, no enjoyment, absolutely nothing come from those players aside from fear and sadness.

I thought our first half to the year would have helped shed some of this stuff but we're back at square one in that regard.

It puts paid to all of us who thought back in 2009 that there was nothing to be said for the 'losing culture' argument some were throwing around.