Neville Jetta Unbelievable

Perago Validus

Pound for pound is there a better one v one defender ?

I thought he might get edged out this year due to a lack of rebounding, but he'd be just about the first picked every week.

He won't come into AA calculations, because he just doesn't get enough of the footy and lacks the dash that stands out, but as a pure defender there's virtually none better.

• Like 5

Had a conversation with his Aunty  one day and asked her about all the cousins 

She said Nev was the lazy one 

Gee the others must be hard workers !

• Like 5

His last play - The huge spoil that sent him to the ground made me groan as he didn't get enough on the ball but his tenacity to immediately jump up and get back in the contest with Simpson and then beat him was insanely good.

• Like 3

So many deserved tributes to Nev in this article: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/neville-jettas-clutch-performance-against-carlton-underlines-his-2017-allaustralian-credentials/news-story/d4e78c96c035c174d2ca12f8dd34eae0

Just a few:

-"That entire passage of play (yesterday)— from Jetta contesting the aerial ball with Thomas to Neal-Bullen marking — took 22 seconds. Jetta’s involvement — from contest, to fall, to recovery, to winning the ball and dishing it off — took just eight."

-" has made his mark with his combination of smarts, skills and toughness, becoming a consistent steadying presence for the Demons across half back".

-"his impact now goes beyond his role as a lockdown defender.. it’s how he impacts the play that matters":

• averaged 1.7 intercept marks per match — rated elite for a half back
  • notched up an average of 5.9 intercept possessions across his 15 games.
  • This season, Jetta has the seventh-best kick rating of the 265 players to have recorded 100 kicks this year.
  • since 2010, Jetta has the third-best kick rating of the 400 players to have recorded 500 kicks. The two players with higher kick ratings? Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy and games record holder Brent Harvey. Not bad company at all.

And the conclusion we would all agree with:  Jetta’s name floated in this year’s All-Australian discussion.

Hope someone on the AFL AA committee reads that article.  Continue like this and his name should be in the conversation at least for the AA squad.  (I would say the AA team but selectors tend to stack the back-line with all the mids they don't know what to do with).

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

So many deserved tributes to Nev in this article: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/neville-jettas-clutch-performance-against-carlton-underlines-his-2017-allaustralian-credentials/news-story/d4e78c96c035c174d2ca12f8dd34eae0

Just a few:

-"That entire passage of play (yesterday)— from Jetta contesting the aerial ball with Thomas to Neal-Bullen marking — took 22 seconds. Jetta’s involvement — from contest, to fall, to recovery, to winning the ball and dishing it off — took just eight."

-" has made his mark with his combination of smarts, skills and toughness, becoming a consistent steadying presence for the Demons across half back".

-"his impact now goes beyond his role as a lockdown defender.. it’s how he impacts the play that matters":

• averaged 1.7 intercept marks per match — rated elite for a half back
  • notched up an average of 5.9 intercept possessions across his 15 games.
  • This season, Jetta has the seventh-best kick rating of the 265 players to have recorded 100 kicks this year.
  • since 2010, Jetta has the third-best kick rating of the 400 players to have recorded 500 kicks. The two players with higher kick ratings? Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy and games record holder Brent Harvey. Not bad company at all.

And the conclusion we would all agree with:  Jetta’s name floated in this year’s All-Australian discussion.

Hope someone on the AFL AA committee reads that article.  Continue like this and his name should be in the conversation at least for the AA squad.  (I would say the AA team but selectors tend to stack the back-line with all the mids they don't know what to do with).

So, how's a "kick rating" measured? Is that the same thing as disposal efficiency? Irrespective of how it's measured, though, mere observation can tell anyone that he kicks the ball to advantage more often than not. 

Jordan Lewis on Jetta:

Lewis gave high praise to defender Neville Jetta and said his game against the Blues was critical.

“I don’t want to pump up his tyres too much, but I reckon he’s the most underrated backline player in the competition – he’s extraordinary,” he said.

“Some of his efforts late in the game – no doubt saved the game for us.

“He plays tall, small – it doesn’t matter – as it doesn’t faze him. He’s a beauty and someone you want on your side.”

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Just doesn't lose one-on-one contests. Ever.

He's just a rock for us in defence, amazing player.

Even beat Levi Casboult in a one on one marking contest. Amazing....

• Like 2

I am just watching the replay now. Neville just doesn't give up. 

He may get beaten, but he doesn't give up. 

Looking forward to seeing Neville play in September

his contest and eventual winning of the ball in the last Quarter is what coaches ask for. That piece of video should be used in training manuals going forward

be proud Nev, from Rokie to....

• Like 2

If you're a Melbourne supporter and you don't love this guy, are you even a Melbourne supporter? 

Nobody more consistent in his output and application in the team. Has he played a bad game in the last 3 seasons? Am I jinxing him now? 

I pose this question: what makes Nev such a good player from a defensive perspective? Is it his balance or centre-of-gravity? Strength and tenacity? Positioning or body-work? Steady nerves and execution? He just biologically (as to AFL) seems to have no right to be as good as he is.

3 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I pose this question: what makes Nev such a good player from a defensive perspective? Is it his balance or centre-of-gravity? Strength and tenacity? Positioning or body-work? Steady nerves and execution? He just biologically (as to AFL) seems to have no right to be as good as he is.

All of the above but I think concentration is his major asset - he never goofs off or blanks out like so many do.

• Like 2

2008 national draft.

Watts - Pick 1.

Jetta- Pick 51

The three picks we had in between these two were, 17(priority), 19 and 35.

Blease, Strauss and Bennell respectively.

Pity those 3 couldn't turn out half the players Watts and Jetta have become.

Players like Jetta deserve a grand final medallion around their neck and a very big thank you to the person responsible for keeping this GEM on the list!

• Like 2

Brownie on OTC just took a line from land and said the jets is "arguably the best small defender in the game", bout time he got some recognition. 

The only recognition from our gutsy win I've seen.

Edited by Flemo56
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

Idiot Richmond supporter just tried to tell me he should've been pinged for holding the man on Simpson

Idiot Richmond supporters are idiots

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

8 hours ago, nutbean said:

His last play - The huge spoil that sent him to the ground made me groan as he didn't get enough on the ball but his tenacity to immediately jump up and get back in the contest with Simpson and then beat him was insanely good.

He also has Frostie to thank for helping him out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DemonAndrew said:

Idiot Richmond supporter just tried to tell me he should've been pinged for holding the man on Simpson

Don't insult idiots!

1 hour ago, DemonAndrew said:

Had his house on Carlton probably. 

7 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

So, how's a "kick rating" measured? Is that the same thing as disposal efficiency? Irrespective of how it's measured, though, mere observation can tell anyone that he kicks the ball to advantage more often than not. 

Not sure how it is measured but his kicking is unique and dare I say it underrated.

All his kicks go about 30m and hit a target but where he is unique is he almost always sends into the corridor. His kicks look bland but they normally open the opposition up and from there we look creative.

• Like 2