Agitating for TV rights change

One of the problems with the current fixturing - which sees the QB clash starting at 3.20 pm instead of the more family friendly and crowd enhancing timeslot of 2.10pm - is the power of the Seven Network. I understand that Seven wants its afternoon games leading into the news and I appreciate the AFL wants maximum dollars from TV rights.

But the best way to get away from the domination the Seven Network has in the fixturing debate is to get competition into the rights negotiations. Put simply, if Network 10 can get back into the picture we could see football fixtures returning to better times because Ten isn't committed to a 6.00pm news service like Seven. In fact, Ten generally likes to have its news at 5.00pm - which is the ideal time to follow a 2.10pm start time.

Fans need to let the Ten Network know how much they want competitive bidding in the next rights negotiations. Any suggestions about how to do this? Because now is the time for the groundswell of opinion to begin.

• Like 1

Problem is Ch 10 is almost broke. They just shed a huge amount of staff.

The old TV is not as powerful as before. Online viewing is growing.

Maybe the old stations choked on the big pile of shyte they tried to feed everyone.

"The longest amateur night in history" is nearly finished-not a moment too soon.

Hope they all rot in the new entertainment economy-no talent -no eat.

• Like 3

I don't believe any other free to air TV Network would have the games at 2:10 (or 2:20) when the AFL sold out to 3:20 they made a permanent change.

Unfortunately they've done it again with Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games so prevalent this year.

It's up for the AFL to stop being so money hungry and to protect the attendances at games instead of selling out for TV money at every opportunity. But with money needed to grow the game particularly in NSW with GWS the AFL won't be keen to stop. Especially if the AFL CEO's salary remains so tightly linked with bonuses for revenue growth.

How do the fans get a voice? I have no idea. The best bet might be the fans association = http://aflfans.org but they have no position of power. It might be that decreasing attendances do eventually impact the AFL and they realise it can't all be about TV.

Very simple answer - Dimitriou and his cronies get far more $$$$ from TV than from gate attendances, so when asked to jump, the inevitable response is "how high?"

Bugger the public.

Edited by monoccular

Very simple answer - Dimitriou and his cronies get far more $$$$ from TV than from gate attendances, so when asked to jump, the inevitable response is "how high?"

Bugger the public.

Correct. The TV stations have to get there money back.... Edited by why you little

It is going to be very interesting come the next TV rights auction. As WYL correctly ( imho ) gives the nod to, TV aint what it used to be.. The whole comp relies so heavily on this money that it would seem the next round of bidding may well prove the most important in history. The delivery model will be different and the whole telly industry will need to adapt or perish.

Adapt is indeed the requirement of the future ( isnt it always ) If keeping our beloved QB stoush means a 3.20 start then so be it. At the same time however I would question whether TV numbers will prevail in the nature Seven wants. People are so enslaved these days as to be unable to switch channels :rolleyes:

I don't believe any other free to air TV Network would have the games at 2:10 (or 2:20) when the AFL sold out to 3:20 they made a permanent change.

Unfortunately they've done it again with Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games so prevalent this year.

It's up for the AFL to stop being so money hungry and to protect the attendances at games instead of selling out for TV money at every opportunity. But with money needed to grow the game particularly in NSW with GWS the AFL won't be keen to stop. Especially if the AFL CEO's salary remains so tightly linked with bonuses for revenue growth.

How do the fans get a voice? I have no idea. The best bet might be the fans association = http://aflfans.org but they have no position of power. It might be that decreasing attendances do eventually impact the AFL and they realise it can't all be about TV.

Don't blame the AFL for this, this is a public company business model. that other organisations play follow the leader with. this is due to stockmarket play. and the changes it has caused to the western worlds daily lives.

we were far better off with private owned company's with loyalty between company & its workers back in the 60's & 70's.... competition has its limits, before it becomes cannibalistic, until its foe are all gone; then it eats itself. a bit like the space black hole.

... then life can regrow from its grassroots yet again. and maybe we can get back to locally produced programs yet again.

Edited by dee-luded

IMO, the AFL's goal (and more importantly, the goals of free-to air TV and cable) is to have each game of every round to be a "virtual" stand alone affair. It stands to reason because from an economic standpoint, the time slots need to appeal to the people who are paying the big bucks for the rights - the television networks and cable providers.

They won't want competition from the same sport so we'll almost certainly see less and less games clashing with each other - there may be a point in the future where each game has it's own separate 3 hour window. Therefore, we can expect more Thursday night, Sunday night and Monday night fixtures ... the clubs and sponsors will buy in - why wouldn't they?

50,000 people at the games or millions watching on TV?

In the end, it's all about the dollars.

Edited by Macca

Ten are supposedly interested, but they were infamously pulled out of the last rights negotiation by Lachlan Murdoch so a) Foxtel got more exclusivity to games and b) to make a failed bid on the NRL rights. Their share price has spiraled down the toilet ever since.

It's possible if the rumors are true about Fox sabotaging Ten to buy them out, they intend to outbid Seven as a combined force and monopolize the entire coverage of the league however they feel like. Hard to explain their bizarre decision making otherwise!

IMO, the AFL's goal (and more importantly, the goals of free-to air TV and cable) is to have each game of every round to be a "virtual" stand alone affair. It stands to reason because from an economic standpoint, the time slots need to appeal to the people who are paying the big bucks for the rights - the television networks and cable providers.

They won't want competition from the same sport so we'll almost certainly see less and less games clashing with each other - there may be a point in the future where each game has it's own separate 3 hour window. Therefore, we can expect more Thursday night, Sunday night and Monday night fixtures ... the clubs and sponsors will buy in - why wouldn't they?

top post.

i think of american television.

2 minute time out,introduced to fit more commercials into a game that couldnt guarantee a break in play.

Monday night games,introduced to get rid of the chit game of the round,after winning viewers all clubs and advertisers wanted slice of pie.

Its happenening here also,north owned friday experimental nights until all clubs saw the value,and jumped on board.

Sydney copped the dreaded sunday arvo games in the 80s and every club realised the value and wanted a piece.

I would say the first club to "jump" onto mondays would carve out a good slice of pie until other clubs "wanted in" and with these deals its first in wins the race.I aleays hoped we signed a 5 year deal for mondays.

TELEVISION football is here and has to be accepted as they aint going back.

• Like 1

Overexposure, amateur production and prioritising TV networks wishes over that of the fans will cook the goose that laid the golden egg. Integrity in the AFL? Hahaha

• Like 1

3:20pm is fine.

Bit rich for Melbourne fans to be critical of the league milking networks for more money when said broadcasting cash has helped keep the club afloat. We are not in a position to be critical.

The next two games after the pies game are both at ES and both at 4:40 on Sunday arvo. Shocking time, especially if you want to take kids

Try and make a time of it. You telling me you've never gone out for dinner, or to an event, or anything at night? A late lunch/early dinner, home before 8.
People hyperventilate about the time scheduling and all that jazz but reality is the times are only different by 1-2 hours and I don't see how this actually disadvantages anyone.
Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 1

there are 12 games left and only have one saturday day game prior to 3pm at the G, and ZERO sunday day games prior to 3pm at the G. wtf! Its all away games, etihad or twilight sunday games.

sunday twilight eqauls no atmosphere, getting home at 8:30, very hard for families to make it - kids usually in bed by 7-7:30

and they wonder why they have the lowest attendences for years? as if they give a toss!

I have 2 teenage kids. They no longer watch TV. They no longer even watch TV programs.

TV as we know it: finished. Not today, or even tomorrow ... but over the next 20 - 30 years. Either the AFL realises and starts getting on board with a meaningful interactive streaming/net alternative, or it'll be left by the wayside. We all know what happened to the music industry when it put its head in the sand.

• Like 3

I have 2 teenage kids. They no longer watch TV. They no longer even watch TV programs.

TV as we know it: finished. Not today, or even tomorrow ... but over the next 20 - 30 years. Either the AFL realises and starts getting on board with a meaningful interactive streaming/net alternative, or it'll be left by the wayside. We all know what happened to the music industry when it put its head in the sand.

Gillon M has recently spoken about digital rights and the next TV deal. Either he's fully aware of the value to be extracted or the AFL has someone (in house or a paid consultant) who does. He has also spoken strongly about the need to do what is necessary to put attendances at the footy ahead of everything else. If he can deliver on both those issues he will have made a good start to his time as CEO.

My opening post was attempting to point out how much easier it would be for the AFL to extract a better deal for fans if it could play one TV network off against another. At the moment, its behaving like Mephistopholes having sold its soul to the Devil (in this case, Network 7 as the monopoly free to air TV provider) and is now trying to find a way to back down.

This is generally how I feel.

However, this year there has been a significant shift in the football landscape, with the AFL finally going too far in favour of Channel Seven and away from the fans. As a result there are too many things the fans are (rightfully) upset about (cost, timing, spreading out of games, etc.).

The AFL has to concede on some issues, and Seven is likely to budge. The TV spectacle benefits from a strong atmosphere at the stadium, so crowds cannot continue to fall. General perception of AFL also obviously impacts on who watches games, and if there is a continued trend of apathy and disappointment with the AFL, that will hurt them too.

First step is to reduce the bias with prime time fixturing - yes, overall they have to be given to the clubs that are going to draw the crowds and play the best football. But you can't just base that off the previous year, Carlton and Richmond being perfect examples. Carlton has at least 4 Friday night games still to come this year - who wants to watch Carlton? I think this may be the least year we see a handful of teams getting 8-10 Friday nights whilst others all get 0 or 1.

Next step is to reduce the spread of games. No more Monday nights, everyone hates them (players, coaches, fans, TV, it's not working at any level). I personally don't like Thursday nights but if the AFL is intent on having flexibility and on having the occasional extra game (and it has to be occasional), use it sparingly. Sunday nights can work too, but they should only ever be before Public Holidays (and should be before every Monday public holiday, such as QBD, Easter Monday and ANZAC Day when appropriate). Spread the byes over two weeks, not three, to get the season back to full pace as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

The AFL is reducing the impact of the TV rights holders by recruiting their own production team. They have around 215 of them. They will package the content and sell it off to the highest bidders that will overlay their commentary.

If you want Friday night games or finals or blockbusters you will pay handsomely all the while buying the raw footage from the AFL.

The you and I will be paying say $10 a week to have the content streamed to the digital device of your choice: smart TV, tablet, laptop etc.

They will reap over $3bn from this is my estimate over 5 yrs. Up from the 2011 $1.3bn and the 2006 $760m.

If you want to know the detail of how it will work just watch Major League baseball. they control every aspect of their sport.

Just sayin.....

• Like 1

The AFL is reducing the impact of the TV rights holders by recruiting their own production team. They have around 215 of them. They will package the content and sell it off to the highest bidders that will overlay their commentary.

If you want Friday night games or finals or blockbusters you will pay handsomely all the while buying the raw footage from the AFL.

The you and I will be paying say $10 a week to have the content streamed to the digital device of your choice: smart TV, tablet, laptop etc.

They will reap over $3bn from this is my estimate over 5 yrs. Up from the 2011 $1.3bn and the 2006 $760m.

If you want to know the detail of how it will work just watch Major League baseball. they control every aspect of their sport.

Just sayin.....

If this is the aim, they have a long way to go.

The Telstra AFL app streams in varying degrees of quality, nowhere near full HD resolution. I will not pay for it again this year after being so disappointed with it last year. Looked crap even on a 10 inch tablet.

Even the 'smart replays' that are on the AFL website 12 hours after games are horrible quality. I plugged my pc into my tv via HMDI and it was deplorable. Even on "high" resolution (they don't tell you what the resolution is btw), it still looks pixellated on a decent sized TV.

I held out some hope that the NBN (despite its cost) would mean that so many people would have access to super fast internet that the AFL and Telstra would start streaming in better quality, but the NBN seems to be dying a slow death.

Besides I think they'd all rather we just buy Foxtel and watch it on there. But then you need to buy the basic package PLUS the sports package. It's just too expensive for someone who only wants to watch one game a week for 24 weeks.

It really is too bad the Optus decision went the way of the AFL and Telstra. This is probably another reason they are scared of the NBN - once people have huge upload capacity, one person with a new PVR and Foxtel would be able to live stream their content to other people.

I'd be more than happy to buy a Telstra/AFL app subscription for the current price offered if it was high def and there was an easy way to stick it on my TV. Maybe they need to make a deal with Chromecast. That thing would sell like hot cakes if it came with access to all AFL games.