Christian Salem

Whispering_Jack

I have no doubt that the environment that Salem is exposed to is less toxic than the one Scully faced.

So are we blaming Melbourne for the fact that $cully is just an average player??

Tyson has played all of 20 games, Salem a qtr and a bit. Some great kids who will develop together. Dunn's been brilliant. When Garland comes back Pedo might be dropped. Yes he's improved his game but he is depth for the list.

AD, Pedo won't get dropped, even when Garland returns.

He's been fantastic as a pinch hitter in the ruck, has nice hands and kicks beautifully. At 27, he's doing all that's asked of him and more.

• Like 2

Tyson has played all of 20 games, Salem a qtr and a bit. Some great kids who will develop together. Dunn's been brilliant. When Garland comes back Pedo might be dropped. Yes he's improved his game but he is depth for the list.

How you fathom that Garland and Pederson's roles are the same is beyond me.

• Like 1

Although he only played little game time one thing became apparent, revealed when he kicked his goal; his second efforts, and willingness to compete.
Competed for the mark, got spoilt, went the ball, got knocked off it, went again, grabbed it under pressure and drilled one home.
Competitiveness and the will to win the contest is what this team needs, and what Crossy was disappointed that some people didn't do in his post-match interview. i also saw him drill a beauty to a forward on the lead, very composed.
Keeping a lid on it, but looks like we could have (another like Tyson) beauty on our hands. Early days, but with Roos and his team and their seemingly successful drafting/trade period looking the goods from last year, i am bloody excited to see what happens this year!

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 3

He's been fantastic as a pinch hitter in the ruck, has nice hands and kicks beautifully. At 27, he's doing all that's asked of him and more.

He's going better than expected in the ruck, although he's still pretty ordinary up forward, just doesn't have any tools to be a dangerous forward.

I'd rather Gawn in as second ruck/forward and then put Pedersen to full back if Georgiou is suspended. Even if he isn't I wonder if Dunn is more use either forward or as an attacking half back instead of having to play tall.

• Like 1

Now where are those that said he was another skinny outside kid?

Salem was known for his kicking and his hardness, that's what he brings. Now lets just let him develop, as Robert Shaw (his very proud school coach) said on SEN today...it only gets harder from here.

• Like 5

Now where are those that said he was another skinny outside kid?

Salem was known for his kicking and his hardness, that's what he brings. Now lets just let him develop, as Robert Shaw (his very proud school coach) said on SEN today...it only gets harder from here.

For some reason I thought he would be smaller than he is, and that reason is probably Demonland brainwashing. I agree that he did not look at all like a skinny outside kid. It's the usual mind set of "the kid has good skills, he must be skinny/outside".

Salem looks sharp I wish he was playing instead of a Watts, and there were many around me who said if we had Salem instead of Watts for the majority of the game we would have been right in the contest, it only takes a few for team to look poor and to play poorly. Great to see the lads get around him for his goal.

Looks all quality to me

What rubbish. Those around you clearly have little grasp on the game if that was their thinking. Either that, or they're blinded by frustration...

I generally agree, although Pederson has more than held up his own in the ruck. That might just get him a spot in the 22. The guy I've been consistently disappointed with this season is Tommy Mac. He's just having one shocker after another. He had about three or four brain fades in the one quarter against the Swans. I just wonder if that injury in Round 1 against St Kilda is having a residual impact. I might just be making excuses for him though.

Edited by AdamFarr

Looked like he belonged immediately. Super promising.

How good was it to see the whole team get around him after his first goal?

Compare that with when JKH kicked his. Only three players made the effort that day - the two forwards in his immediate vicinity (I can't remember who they were) and Frawley, who was still playing in defence then and made the effort to run right down the ground to congratulate him. You can't convince me that this team somehow has greater respect for Salem than JKH, so I'd say the coaches were horrified with the team's lack of care in the JKH instance and told the team so. Hence, the much better reaction when Salem kicked his. It's disappointing they had to be told but on the plus side, pleasing that they responded so well.

• Like 5

Compare that with when JKH kicked his. Only three players made the effort that day - the two forwards in his immediate vicinity (I can't remember who they were) and Frawley, who was still playing in defence then and made the effort to run right down the ground to congratulate him. You can't convince me that this team somehow has greater respect for Salem than JKH, so I'd say the coaches were horrified with the team's lack of care in the JKH instance and told the team so. Hence, the much better reaction when Salem kicked his. It's disappointing they had to be told but on the plus side, pleasing that they responded so well.

Was going to make a post about that. The fact that every single player, with no exceptions, came over to congratulate him was CLEARLY a direct result of the rubbish they showed for JKHs first goal. Would've been along the lines of "you want to play as a team, then start acting like one."

• Like 3

No I think the coaches would have been delighted with both reactions. JKH burnt Dawesy when he kicked his, it went against the team ethos that is being drilled into the players. He knew it and the other players knew it.

As a side note to that I reckon Dawes burnt JKH at one stage on Saturday night and he didn't end it with a goal either.

• Like 1

For some reason I thought he would be smaller than he is, and that reason is probably Demonland brainwashing. I agree that he did not look at all like a skinny outside kid. It's the usual mind set of "the kid has good skills, he must be skinny/outside".

Seeing him up close, I was surprised by his build. Hopefully will muscle up more but he is his no stick insect.

How you fathom that Garland and Pederson's roles are the same is beyond me.

When Garland comes back Pederson may be released to play Watt's role whilst he takes a break at Casey.

Edited by america de cali

No I think the coaches would have been delighted with both reactions. JKH burnt Dawesy when he kicked his, it went against the team ethos that is being drilled into the players. He knew it and the other players knew it.

As a side note to that I reckon Dawes burnt JKH at one stage on Saturday night and he didn't end it with a goal either.

Wasn't his first goal against the Eagles when he ran on to a perfect pass from Dunn?

• Like 2

I have no doubt that the environment that Salem is exposed to is less toxic than the one Scully faced.

Do you mean his father ain't Phat Phil?

Sorry, rjay. You've mixed up games. First goal was against WCE; the Dawes "burn" was against Carlton.

• Like 1

Fair call, I don't even agree with my own comment. I had a big four days. Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 2

Didn't his first goal come against West Coast when we were 12 goals down? I was still disappointed he wasn't congratulated properly by his teammates.