We must roll this win into next week

dees189227

Next week we play Gold Coast at home. Even though its easter sunday I hope people turn out to see melbourne play. What better place to spend sunday than the holy MCG

They need to come out like they did today and do it next week. If we lose next week then today was nothing.

I reckon we can win and if we can get 2 wins in a row then it may go onto some more wins.

By the way do we put Jones on Ablett next week after the job jones did on Murphy today?

• Like 1

Next week we play Gold Coast at home. Even though its easter sunday I hope people turn out to see melbourne play. What better place to spend sunday than the holy MCG

They need to come out like they did today and do it next week. If we lose next week then today was nothing.

I reckon we can win and if we can get 2 wins in a row then it may go onto some more wins.

By the way do we put Jones on Ablett next week after the job jones did on Murphy today?

Yep - a big crowd could help the boys to get over the line. However Gold Coast is now a pretty good side.

Edited by Young Dee

Changes the goalposts for next week. Suns getting smashed at home by the Hawks and us coming off a win.

Should be looking for another 4 points. No excuses.

The Hawks smash everyone so its hard to really gain any perspective there - I thought they fought well tonight (especially early)

The Hawks smash everyone so its hard to really gain any perspective there - I thought they fought well tonight (especially early)

Essendon were beating them with minutes to play, so no they don't smash everyone.

Suns were being touted as a potential top 8 side this year. They've been shown how far they are off the benchmark and will be shaken a little bit. We should be capitalising playing at home.

• Like 1

I know that at the moment Hawthorn are making everyone else look rubbish, but on tonight's Hawks v GC game we are a real chance next week.

They have the Ablett factor but Jordie can take care of him. Apart from the Ablett factor, I reckon our in and under players of Cross, Viney, Jordie, N Jones we can match them at the stoppages.

The Suns are super quick so we can't play Toumpas or Trengove. Evans, Watts and Bail are vital in this game. Do we consider bringing in Blease for Terlich to get the extra pace?

Do we risk Jamar like we did Dawes? Gold Coast ruck division is really weak at present and this could give us a clear stoppage advantage. Or will Spencer dominate?

The confidence will kick in and we will be very much in this game.

Today was nothing?

If we lose next week, next week will be close to nothing.

This week will be last week - and evidence to the players that they are capable.

Today was not nothing no matter what happens next week.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 6

Not exactly on topic, but Prestia started on the bench tonight. He's slightly down the pecking order there, given their amazing depth of potential at GCS. He and Treloar are the two mids I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at, come the end of the season. Really like both of them as players. One is grunt and a great decision maker, with good disposal, the other is a speedy clearance winner with good disposal. With the Clark money, we should be warchest it and offer both of them big contracts. I think Prestia re-signed half way through last year, but nevertheless, go at him.

Next week all depends on the bald little master. This bloke never gives up,is hard as nails and his skills and leadership are top notch. If a big game comes his way the game is over. Every player should be watching this guys tape every week to look and learn. Gee I'm glad he wears red and blue.

• Like 7

Next week all depends on the bald little master. This bloke never gives up,is hard as nails and his skills and leadership are top notch. If a big game comes his way the game is over. Every player should be watching this guys tape every week to look and learn. Gee I'm glad he wears red and blue.

Acknowledging Ablett is an out and out star, I watched the game last night and out of those 35 possessions at last 15 were cheap give and goes around the back. Umpires seem to give votes by weight of possession but I thought he wasn't in the best 6 - 8 players.

Previously, teams have often not tagged him tight but rather guarded space. Last night he was given a traditional tag and was less effective. All players lose a step and at the risk of being proven spectacularly wrong, I think he has.

Cowboy, it helps when I read the last sentence. Apologies.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 2

Tagging ablett is damn near impossible, he has amazing poise and reflexes and seems to find a way to dance around in the traffic, Jordie did well on him last time we played if I recall correctly but there was a lot of scragging and holding, etc that resulted in Ablett getting a a few frees, Hopefully jordie can do the job again this week. The GC need to throw ablett forward a bit more so that their midfield can learn to not rely on him so much, i think they may give him more time forward against us than other sides as the risk to their midfields output without him is probably going to be easier against us than many other teams.

• Like 1

Nice. I see what you did there.

Tagging ablett is damn near impossible, he has amazing poise and reflexes and seems to find a way to dance around in the traffic, Jordie did well on him last time we played if I recall correctly but there was a lot of scragging and holding, etc that resulted in Ablett getting a a few frees, Hopefully jordie can do the job again this week. The GC need to throw ablett forward a bit more so that their midfield can learn to not rely on him so much, i think they may give him more time forward against us than other sides as the risk to their midfields output without him is probably going to be easier against us than many other teams.

I seem to remember Jones going head to head with Ablett in the last couple of years and keeping him to about 20 touches which was great.

Acknowledging Ablett is an out and out star, I watched the game last night and out of those 35 possessions at last 15 were cheap give and goes around the back. Umpires seem to give votes by weight of possession but I thought he wasn't in the best 6 - 8 players.

Previously, teams have often not tagged him tight but rather guarded space. Last night he was given a traditional tag and was less effective. All players lose a step and at the risk of being proven spectacularly wrong, I think he has.

Cowboy, it helps when I read the last sentence. Apologies.

Nice. I see what you did there.

Sorry guys I probably shouldn't have posted something like that on a Sunday after a win. All our brains and livers are a little knackered.

He should have been given the captence a couple of years ago. His taken his game to another level this season because of it.

• Like 1

We haven't won two consecutive games since Rounds 13 and 14, 2011. We beat Fremantle by 89 and followed it up by beating Richmond by 27.

Gold Coast is better than us, but at the MCG with a bit of confidence (versus their lack of it following last night's horrendous showing) and the crowd, I don't think we're 0 chance. Would be great to string two together.

I won't be there due to family commitments for Easter, I have lunch with my family then have to catch up with my wife's family later in the day. It really is stupid fixturing by the AFL and I look forward to the day whe we don't get fixtures like this one and Mothers Day. Of all the days when it would be better to have a Sunday night rather than Sunday afternoon/twilight game this is it but the AFL in their infinite wisdom have condemned us to another loss-making fixture.

I know they're a young club, but how have the Gold Coast responded the week after most floggings? Do they go into their shells, or come out the next week and push that much harder? Clearly Carlton were the former, but Gazza is a superstar. He'll rally them up.

I watched three quarters and was very impressed with the suns. They have some serious talent in their side - the problem they faced on Saturday night is they came up against at team who made them pay for every little mistake they made. Hawthorn were sublime.

They are not going to be easy to beat - it will interesting to see how they respond to the beating they took.