Interest Factor in football these days almost dead

Soidee

I like many others went to the G last week and left before the end of the game. Now into my 8th year of torture as a supporter of the MFC, 35 years as a member.

I wonder how many supporters of this club are just fed up with the game in general.

I watch Geelong and enjoy their brand but overall interest in footy is lost in the past.

I got fired up when Roos was appointed but now very much realise he has a mammoth task to turn the list over. Years and years still to go for the MFC and even then that guarantees bugger all.

PJ talks about hope............wow hard to get the head around that after last week.

As a supporter group in the best game in the world, us dees supporters have been totally screwed for a generation. End of rant.

• Like 8

im the same tbh.

now they have got rid of rewarding the person trying to make the play/get to the ball first (ie sliding rule when youre just going for the ball, holding the ball when you get jumped on by 3 guys straight away) and the bump ive lost a lot of interest.

also the competition is nowhere near equal anymore - gone are the days where you didnt know who was going to win on any given day - might be a couple of games a round that are hard to decide.

• Like 2

Ditto. I went to one game last year - luckily, we won that game. I am a paid up member, since the 1990's. That was a very expensive game. I am not sure when Melbourne will be competitive again. The game has become a big money making machine in recent years. It is going to be difficult to convince my son that the Demons are worth supporting. I want to be able to go to the MCG, expecting our team to be in the game for at least three quarters, with a good chance of winning on their home ground.

• Like 1

Yep I am in the same boat as well. Listening to the radio angers me as well. The only mention Melbourne gets is on the end of a joke. Talking to people about footy gets harder when they mention Melbourne. Usually I don't even wanna talk or hear about Melbourne at the start of the week. Watching other games has little interest to me because every other teams looks so different to what I see in Melbourne.

• Like 2

It's very frustrating watching other teams putting in 100% even if they lose.

It is depressing and I ask myself will I ever c Melb do this.

As been mentioned we are in our 8th yr of hell and will not end any time soon by the looks of it.

Getting sick of trying to look for positives all the time I want to c wins.

Aren't the players sick of losing, sometimes I wonder about some of them.

• Like 1

more pain in store for the dees???? Could last for years??

Looks like I've picked the wrong week to give up whisky !!!!!!

• Like 1

I know how you feel.

I got myself up for an improved effort this year.

Didnt take long for the baloon to burst.

If we have a win or two over the next three games i reckon ill be ressurected, but if we have another three bad losses in a row, ill have to switch off footy for the year just for sanitys sake.

• Like 1

Soidee I'm with you, I'm with you as 35 year supporter of the club and love the game but I'm struggling. My son refuses to come the footy with me and won't wear his MFC jumper because everyone laughs at him. But hey the powers to be don't care about us as long as GWS prospers and keeps the 7632 supporters happy......we are irrelevant nowadays.

Wagga Wagga Demons in 5 year time.......that's my call!!

• Like 1

I like many others went to the G last week and left before the end of the game. Now into my 8th year of torture as a supporter of the MFC, 35 years as a member.

I wonder how many supporters of this club are just fed up with the game in general.

I watch Geelong and enjoy their brand but overall interest in footy is lost in the past.

I got fired up when Roos was appointed but now very much realise he has a mammoth task to turn the list over. Years and years still to go for the MFC and even then that guarantees bugger all.

PJ talks about hope............wow hard to get the head around that after last week.

As a supporter group in the best game in the world, us dees supporters have been totally screwed for a generation. End of rant.

I agree with this 100%

I am the same, for the first time in 30 years of supporting MFC, I will no longer schedule life around watching MFC games.

• Like 2

Haven't lost interest or hope yet and my anger is somewhat tempered from a year ago. but I feel very disturbed to what the likes Grimes, Trengove, Frawley, Howe and others dish up these days. They should be getting into their prime. Then we have others like Jamar, Dawes, Clark, Tapscott, Bleese etc, etc existing in a kind of limbo and doing SFA.

• Like 1

Haven't lost interest or hope yet and my anger is somewhat tempered from a year ago. but I feel very disturbed to what the likes Grimes, Trengove, Frawley, Howe and others dish up these days. They should be getting into their prime. Then we have others like Jamar, Dawes, Clark, Tapscott, Bleese etc, etc existing in a kind of limbo and doing SFA.

That's why tomorrow is so important. If they show nothing as far as guts and endevour is concerned then why should we as members and supporters.

This is in the players court.

• Like 1

Agreed. It's just not what it used to be.

absurd amount of injuries

rubbish, inconsistent umpiring

constant rule changing and softening of the game

we have subs now yeah OK might as well change that after 150 years

increasing gap between have and havenots

footy department expenditure

unfair fixturing wtf is friday night footy

terrible crowds

seeing the loko of horror on fellow supporters faces

tossbag [censored] commentators/media talking poo

obsessive fascination and over-analysis with statistics

athletes not footballers

ridiculous money/greed/paper bags/lack of loyalty

talk talk talk and no results at the MFC

irrelevance/disrespect and mockery

the price of everything always increasing and midstrength beer in plastic cups

expansion teams

seeing young talent at other clubs while our high picks always flounder

not having a genuine superstar at the club ever

tanking, brock mclean,

'bruise-free' footy

mark 'pre-game speech' neeld

tom effing scully

liam jurrah and now

mitch clark

we have got to be the most tested and jaded of all sports fans in the world I reckon

• Like 16

Agreed. It's just not what it used to be.

absurd amount of injuries

rubbish, inconsistent umpiring

constant rule changing and softening of the game

we have subs now yeah OK might as well change that after 150 years

increasing gap between have and havenots

footy department expenditure

unfair fixturing wtf is friday night footy

terrible crowds

seeing the loko of horror on fellow supporters faces

tossbag [censored] commentators/media talking poo

obsessive fascination and over-analysis with statistics

athletes not footballers

ridiculous money/greed/paper bags/lack of loyalty

talk talk talk and no results at the MFC

irrelevance/disrespect and mockery

the price of everything always increasing and midstrength beer in plastic cups

expansion teams

seeing young talent at other clubs while our high picks always flounder

not having a genuine superstar at the club ever

tanking, brock mclean,

'bruise-free' footy

mark 'pre-game speech' neeld

tom effing scully

liam jurrah and now

mitch clark

we have got to be the most tested and jaded of all sports fans in the world I reckon

Wow. I can't even find fault with any of this.

If we get smashed tomorrow by AFL inc. GW$ my interest will be severly tested.

I find it hard to believe our list is so bad.

But it is. The last 7 years were handled that badly.

I feel the same way. I'm so damn tired of fretting in the build up, not even about whether they will win, but whether they will try.

Another insipid effort and I really think I'll be done until they are going to do the basics to compete.

I get joy out of watching the highly overrated Carlton/Richmond sides get beaten. Both on track to miss the eight this year and if that does happen it can only be seen as unacceptable by their respective boards.

I wish we were in their boots.

Edited by america de cali

It is actually disgusting that we are even discussing this.

8 years.

in those 8 years i have done the following with my life - completed a double degree and taught for 5 and a 1/4 years.

i have been to london 3 times.

ive gone from having never played soccer in my life to being the president of my club - which has won 4 titles in that same period.

last time we played finals i was 23. im now 30.

thereve been 2 soccer world cups (and a 3rd this year) - although technically the 06 one was in the same year....

2 olympic games

australia has beaten the poms 5-0.......twice

the grade 3 kids i teach were babies when we last played finals.

Edited by biggestred
  • Like 3

That's why tomorrow is so important. If they show nothing as far as guts and endevour is concerned then why should we as members and supporters.

This is in the players court.

The Club is bigger than the players that happen to be passing by, isn't it?

• Like 1

hey dudes while I agree with a lot said and fair enuff to , but gotta realize with no biggies in the forward line blokes like Howie etc are getting the best backmen , no freedom to do there thing , lets just hope that dawes hoges can get in there and take some heat off howe etc , am I dreaming ?

• Like 1