Interest Factor in football these days almost dead

Soidee

In the 70's we were crap, but the players didn't need to be spoon feed on how to play.

Oh yes they did, yes they did - if memory serves me correctly. And sadly, someone had lost the spoon in the mid 60's.

I think I would find it impossible to give up on something that has pretty much been an obsession for something like 55 years as the MFC has... that is more time than I have spent with any one person including my family, barring my older brother and sister.

I will always follow the game regardless of what happens, but as I grow older and reflect on things, I am now realising how much more enjoyable it was when I was a kid listening to the games on my transistor radio and then watching a few minutes of highlights in B&W on TV and occasionally being treated by my parents to a day at the game, despite the fact they didn't really follow footy. Even in the 70's when it was "uncool" to follow the footy in the circles I mixed in, it was my guilty pleasure... the only guilt I feel now is for getting my young son hooked on the game and the MFC.

Back then you could get free car stickers from your local servo, rock candy sticks in club colours, swap cards in bubble gum, games were played at 2:10pm every week (on a Saturday only) and players generally stood a reasonable chance of being recruited by the club they already loved with very little money on offer... these days you have to pay for everything, game times are determined by the media and the media coverage is relentless, players are dispensable and club loyalty is a thing of a forgotten era.

I managed to give up the old cancer sticks, managed over time to become a respectable drinker, but this footy addiction simply cannot be beaten. Take me lord... I'm ready!

Edited by hardtack

I think I would find it impossible to give up on something that has pretty much been an obsession for something like 55 years as the MFC has... that is more time than I have spent with any one person including my family, barring my older brother and sister.

I will always follow the game regardless of what happens, but as I grow older and reflect on things, I am now realising how much more enjoyable it was when I was a kid listening to the games on my transistor radio and then watching a few minutes of highlights in B&W on TV and occasionally being treated by my parents to a day at the game, despite the fact they didn't really follow footy. Even in the 70's when it was "uncool" to follow the footy in the circles I mixed in, it was my guilty pleasure... the only guilt I feel now is for getting my young son hooked on the game and the MFC.

Back then you could get free car stickers from your local servo, rock candy sticks in club colours, swap cards in bubble gum, games were played at 2:10pm every week (on a Saturday only) and players generally stood a reasonable chance of being recruited by the club they already loved with very little money on offer... these days you have to pay for everything, game times are determined by the media and the media coverage is relentless, players are dispensable and club loyalty is a thing of a forgotten era.

I managed to give up the old cancer sticks, managed over time to become a respectable drinker, but this footy addiction simply cannot be beaten. Take me lord... I'm ready!

Then the last one is not so hard you just need to experience the alternatives hardtack there is another world out there.

posted this in another thread but seems more appropriate here.

2007 - 5/22
2008 - 3/22
2009 - 4/22
2010 - 8.5/22 (heady days indeed!)
2011 - 8.5/22
2012 - 4/22
2013 - 2/22
2014 - 0/2

totals

35/156 games or 22.43%

if you take out 2010 and 2011, that makes it 18 wins from 114 games.

FYI, Hawks won 41 games in '12 and '13

2007 - 5/22

2008 - 3/22

2009 - 4/22

2011 - 8.5/22

2012 - 4/22

2013 - 2/22

2014 - 0/2

totals

35/156 games or 22.43%

Stop it Big!!!

Even Dr Turf just said on SEN that he has had a gut full of watching this football team.

2007 - 5/22

2008 - 3/22

2009 - 4/22

2011 - 8.5/22

2012 - 4/22

2013 - 2/22

2014 - 0/2

totals

35/156 games or 22.43%

Jeez, 1 in 5 sounds a lot better than how I actually feel about the last 7 seasons.

It is hard not to agree.

I dislike Carlton intensely and yesterday someone asked me if I was happy they were being belted by the Bombers. My answer was simply I don't care anymore.

Because we are so bad and can't win a game, there is no pleasure or interest in another teams misfortune. I just couldn't care less.

The next step is just not caring about us either. Football interest and passion gets sucked out of you after 8 years of pathetic performance.

We have a big job ahead of us to resurrect this side, though, it can be done with some help.

PS. I haven't taken that next step yet.

How did those of you who witnessed the terribleness of the 70's-early 80's get through? Was it because footy was strictly a weekend interest back then and we weren't bludgeoned every second of the day with the 24/7 news cycle and internet forums like this?

How did those of you who witnessed the terribleness of the 70's-early 80's get through? Was it because footy was strictly a weekend interest back then and we weren't bludgeoned every second of the day with the 24/7 news cycle and internet forums like this?

we still won some games back then Doc. Upsets were possible

The present is much worse.

• Like 1

we still won some games back then Doc. Upsets were possible

The present is much worse.

And we had a few players like Robert Flower who were worth going to see on his own.

Also we were not on the bottom every year some years we got close to playing finals.

It was a final four in the seventies so fifth or sixth was not the crap we have endured the last decade.

A number of years we were still in the hunt come July not have the season over in mid April.

• Like 2

Exactly, we werent that bad, just didnt make finals, kinda like a bulldogs or Richmond.

We also had the great Robbie flower .

It was a different game to watch, much more pleasurable than todays crap.

One on ones all over the ground, long kicking and high marking.

Even if you lost you could still take pleasure if a Ray Biffen or Steve Smith beat a top full forward.

We could also watch our boys , like Hardeman, Wells, alves, flower etc play for victoria, we actually had players in the top fifty.

• Like 5

Exactly, we werent that bad, just didnt make finals, kinda like a bulldogs or Richmond.

We also had the great Robbie flower .

It was a different game to watch, much more pleasurable than todays crap.

One on ones all over the ground, long kicking and high marking.

Even if you lost you could still take pleasure if a Ray Biffen or Steve Smith beat a top full forward.

We could also watch our boys , like Hardeman, Wells, alves, flower etc play for victoria, we actually had players in the top fifty.

Correct DeeZee How many of the current team would you go to watch just to see them play?

Even our best player in Jones is not in that class.

• Like 1

Correct DeeZee How many of the current team would you go to watch just to see them play?

Even our best player in Jones is not in that class.

Thats right, none old dee, we just have no excitement factor at all, and as you say , our best player jones,goes hard for it, but doesnt possess the skills to finish or have any x factor.

Yep

Its almost the same too many comments to agree with

I have lived through it and will continue. Agree with most of whats on here re changes. The game and Me.

I still pick Melb in the pub footy tipping to the amused derision and sympathy of others. I Too dont watch all other games with the same intensity but get great enjoyment from by local club.
I cant even get to all their games any more but after a flag they finished bottom and have started this year with a win . A new sense of passion and a desire to improve that I wish Melbourne would display. We had Sam Kekovich up here a couple of weeks ago and he said that the bond that was forged as a bottom side was even better than the bond of victory. But he didnt discount what the victory set up for him and his teammates. Some of the old values are being lost and I hope that Melbourne can rediscover its winning abilities. I have faith in the players abilities and even greater faith in Roos to expose the ability and use it to achieve victories. I just dont know when thats going to happen but will continue to support the Dees.

• Like 1

Just to put it in perspective, the opportunity to watch Flower play was generally only possible by going to the games. In the 60s through to the 80s there were no live games on TV and replays were limited to a maximum of two hours per week and generally didn't include Melbourne games because we weren't good enough. And it was worth going to games to see him play.

• Like 2

wrote this on another thread

You know things are crook when on a Monday there is not one fight happening on Demonland.

Have not seen one single name calling.

seems we all agree things are crook in tullarook

2007 - 5/22

2008 - 3/22

2009 - 4/22

2011 - 8.5/22

2012 - 4/22

2013 - 2/22

2014 - 0/2

totals

35/156 games or 22.43%

Ahh 2010..

They were the days..

Nearly beat collingwood twice.. Nearly beat the bulldogs..

Our drafts picks looked promising..

Edited by Laces Out

Yep

Its almost the same too many comments to agree with

I have lived through it and will continue. Agree with most of whats on here re changes. The game and Me.

I still pick Melb in the pub footy tipping to the amused derision and sympathy of others. I Too dont watch all other games with the same intensity but get great enjoyment from by local club.

I cant even get to all their games any more but after a flag they finished bottom and have started this year with a win . A new sense of passion and a desire to improve that I wish Melbourne would display. We had Sam Kekovich up here a couple of weeks ago and he said that the bond that was forged as a bottom side was even better than the bond of victory. But he didnt discount what the victory set up for him and his teammates. Some of the old values are being lost and I hope that Melbourne can rediscover its winning abilities. I have faith in the players abilities and even greater faith in Roos to expose the ability and use it to achieve victories. I just dont know when thats going to happen but will continue to support the Dees.

you don't have to tip them to show loyalty. That's just silly.

wrote this on another thread

You know things are crook when on a Monday there is not one fight happening on Demonland.

Have not seen one single name calling.

seems we all agree things are crook in tullarook

Old Dee, I feel like calling you an old fool just to get a fight started. But I can't. I've not met you, so I don't actually know whether you are old.

Old Dee, I feel like calling you an old fool just to get a fight started. But I can't. I've not met you, so I don't actually know whether you are old.

Old is a relative word

I think I am old but ten years ago I thought people my age were ancient.

I don't think I am old mentally but the body has been around long enough to tell me I am old.

My first MFC game was in 1960 and I was going to school so that might give you some idea.

Now can we get a fight up on that basis probably not you young [censored]!