• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

RIP Dean Bailey

DeeSpencer

RIP Dean.Punch Hell out of Heaven like you did to the bench's roof when you beat Essendon !

was shocked to read this , bloody cancer the scourge of mankind so many good people go the way of it , please fix , daughter works in lab at cancer research , come on girl , RIP to Bails , put the club before himself , a bloody champ , condolences to all , very sad ,

Vale DB, that got him pretty bloody quickly, I was really hoping he'd have a chance to redeem himself down the line footy wise.

yeah i thought he deserved better and couldve gone on coaching IMO. Got us heading in the right direction there was just a lot of pain along the way, and thats the way it ended for him, very sad news RIP Bails

Knew his son Darcy quite well when I worked at Essendon Grammar. Dean worked hard to improve the culture of the Melbourne Football Club but was let down by a number of people in the club. If he had stayed we would have risen up the ladder eventually. He was a very kind and well respected man who had the players on side. I really hope that his family are getting the love and support they need to work through his tragic passing.

He gave us the best we have had since 06. One wonders what might have been with Peter Jackson cracking the whip and watching his back. We have done too much damage to too many. Roll on this new era.

There is no way of answering this but watching AFL360 tonight I could not help but wonder if those disgruntled, embittered ex-officials who fed the tanking investigation against Melbourne during Bails time (as opposed to Collingwood, Eagles, Hawks and Blues) have not had a moment of deep reflection.

Who knows what stresses the guy was under and what it did to him, but those whose egos were in need of some kind of revenge, what are they thinking tonight?

• Like 2

My good God that is unbelievable, terrible news. My deepest sympathy to all those closest to Dean. R.I.P Dean Bailey.

Edited by 1 red eye 1 blue eye

I feel so sorry, about the loss we all feel for Dean Bailey.... it seems a gentleman to all who came passed his presence.

He deserved far far better, than the treatment dished on him by Our Club, during, & at the End of his time with Us... his family must have also gone thru Hell with him, thru those times.

I for One, would really like to see Our CLUB, {Mfc} do the right thing by the Bailey's, & give Dean's family, his Wife & their 2 Kids, life memberships to the Mfc; so they can, whenever they feel inclined, at least enjoy some of Our Hospitality in the future, after they feel somewhat recovered from this painful time.

deepest sympathies to the Bailey's.

My brother has written a lengthy piece on Dean Bailey which is heart felt like all of the sentiments felt on Demonland. Here is an exert and a link to the full post.

The way they moved and the way that they played the game, you certainly think, 'Are we seeing the superpower of the future?'" Michael Voss, July 2010.

Dean Bailey’s passing today at the age of 47 could be seen as a life unfulfilled but in those 47 years his impact not only to his family and friends but also the wider football community cannot be underestimated. Since the news came through this morning that he had been taken by a very aggressive form of lung cancer, many people who knew him better than I ever will have painted a glowing picture of a man who genuinely loved football but also praised him for his humor, his ability to mentor young players but mainly for putting into perspective that there is more to life that what happens when you cross that white line.

Link to the full post here

Edited by inanunda
  • Like 1

My thoughts too with his family and friends. RIP Dean. Unusual coincidence that three identities from our club are struck down in their prime with cancer in such a short time frame. I have trouble remembering other AFL/VFL identities dying early of cancer since Peter Crimmins. Without knowing the specific facts, Sean Wight's and Dean Bailey's illness's appear eerilly similar if not identical.

Edited by america de cali

This came as a real shock to me, didn't even know he was so sick.

Always seemed like a great guy on the radio and TV and the players seemed to have a heap of time for him.

RIP Bails.

Again, can I ask that we confine ourselves to paying our respects to Dean and his family.

No need at this point to discuss articles by media commentators or speculate on the cause of Dean's illness which might result in unnecessary distress to Dean's family and friends.

Thanks for your consideration.

• Like 2

Just want to pay my respects to Dean Bailey and send condolences his family. Only met him once but he made a lasting impression on me as a smart, broad-minded, dedicated and genuinely caring man. A real loss to the community.