• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Practice Match - Melbourne v Hawthorn @ Casey Fields

Today reinforced to me that playing games in the NT is going to hurt us the week after every time we play there. We have been mauled the week after every game up there. I'm looking forward to ending that alliance. We got slaughtered out of the middle, looked tired and our kicking was aweful even though it was a little windy. Didn't seem to bother the hawks though. They were kicking them from everywhere from the second quarter on. We had the first 3 shots at goal really for 1 point.

They kicked it well the whole game. Any Melbourne player caught a metre behind could not make it up because their kicking was so good. We on the other hand could hardly hit a guy 5 metres in front. We also must have kicked it out on the full about 10 times.

Hawks seemed just to tall in the forward line. They seemed to mark every high ball in their f50. Love to see how many marks they took in the f50. I was a bit disappointed we didn't have a third man coming over the top. It didn't seem to happen at all.

I think we will play better with this game style at docklands. No wind. We have some work to do to play the really good teams.

Having said all of the above I still think we are a good chance r1. I hope they can pick themselves up this year after ordinary performances because its obvious we will still have them.

On a bright note I watched the first 1/4 of the casey game and I was really impressed with Barry. He seemed to be everywhere and his skills were terrific. Viney was working himself into it and Kent was working hard. It was only one quarter.

playing 2 finalists was meant to show how far we need to go, we did ok against geelong and not so well against the hawks. They probably had their best list while we were still missing a few. They have a settled lineup with a team game plan they have been playing for years while we are just starting. Early days, lots to learn from today, we never expected to play finals this year we just want to see big improvements, there will be days like today, hopefully far fewer than last year. and a few more where we get to sing our song after the match.

looking forward to the year and better things.

• Like 1

playing 2 finalists was meant to show how far we need to go, we did ok against geelong and not so well against the hawks. They probably had their best list while we were still missing a few. They have a settled lineup with a team game plan they have been playing for years while we are just starting. Early days, lots to learn from today, we never expected to play finals this year we just want to see big improvements, there will be days like today, hopefully far fewer than last year. and a few more where we get to sing our song after the match.

looking forward to the year and better things.

We have now played three finalists actually. The Tiges, cats and hawks.

• Like 2

Its pretty clear Hawks are on a mission not to repeat the sins of the 2008 Premiership hangover.

We're still very much a work in progress. Even Paul Roos can't magically fix a 2 win and 50% team over 1 pre season.

Its not just about bringing in more natural ball winners or some talented kids. Its about learning and implementing a contemporary game plan that stands up under pressure. God knows when we last had one of those. Maybe 1964 but that was 6 years before I was born. For the players that means making the correct decisions becomes the norm rather than something they have to think about. That is the job of Roos, Allison, Stone & Co and what they'll be judged on. But not after a few NAB Challenge games and a praccy match.

It'd be handy too if Clark, Dawes and Hogan played a game or twenty together.

• Like 1

How's "we know where we're at" compared to "I didn't see that coming"?

When anything comes out of PR's mouth it sound a hell of a lot better than coming out of a no name apprentice coach.

"We know where we're at" means we know we are bad but r working on it whereas "I didn't see that coming" means I have no idea what I am doing and may have to run or turn up to training.

We r in good hands with PR and that does provide comfort on days like today.

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Today reinforced to me that playing games in the NT is going to hurt us the week after every time we play there. We have been mauled the week after every game up there. I'm looking forward to ending that alliance. We got slaughtered out of the middle, looked tired and our kicking was aweful even though it was a little windy. Didn't seem to bother the hawks though. They were kicking them from everywhere from the second quarter on. We had the first 3 shots at goal really for 1 point.

They kicked it well the whole game. Any Melbourne player caught a metre behind could not make it up because their kicking was so good. We on the other hand could hardly hit a guy 5 metres in front. We also must have kicked it out on the full about 10 times.

Hawks seemed just to tall in the forward line. They seemed to mark every high ball in their f50. Love to see how many marks they took in the f50. I was a bit disappointed we didn't have a third man coming over the top. It didn't seem to happen at all.

I think we will play better with this game style at docklands. No wind. We have some work to do to play the really good teams.

Having said all of the above I still think we are a good chance r1. I hope they can pick themselves up this year after ordinary performances because its obvious we will still have them.

On a bright note I watched the first 1/4 of the casey game and I was really impressed with Barry. He seemed to be everywhere and his skills were terrific. Viney was working himself into it and Kent was working hard. It was only one quarter.

In recent years we've generally been mauled the week after playing everywhere!

Alice Springs mean high/low for May is 23/8.2 and June 19.8/5. Reasonably comfortable conditions for playing footy.

Darwin mean high/low for July is 30.6/19.3. It is common sense that any game in Darwin has to be played in July when conditions are at their mildest. Our first game in Darwin was around May 22 from memory and the humidity was brutal enough as a spectator let alone for the players.

For us, we know where we're at. You saw the premiers play against a team that won two games last year, and that's the difference." Roos summed it up there.

By the way we got thrashed by a hawks team coached by Cameron Bruce. Who would have ever thought that. Stand-in Hawks coach Cameron Bruce said first indications were that Stratton's injury was not serious.

cuddles coached the hawkers as well, years back

maybe green will be next @ the blues

I think after today reality might be setting in from many reports from those who were at the match today.

I refer to the continuing poor form of Jimmy Toumpas.

I ask honestly and in the spirit of ROBUST DEBATE

have we picked poorly again??

I can't have players that only run one way to Cale Morton like spaces, who only have one speed and who's attack on the ball could be called questionable! And before the smarties on this forum jump up and down and point to him getting whacked last game, well one what should have been uncontested mark was not and the resulting Geelong player was duly reported.

What I cannot understand is blind optimism from some supporters who say yeah well he's young, coming of ops, etc yadda yadda

Ollie Wines is so far ahead of this kid its becoming a mute point!

Get the hard ball son, do some hard running otherwise if you don't the inevitable comparisons with Ollie Wines will remain, and our recruiting strategy although from previous admin will also be heavily scrutinised and so it should!

And people like me so long suffering, will and should be sceptical until we see something, anything!

End of rant!

We aren't the only ones.

Ollie Wines stood out in the nationals, as Sheedy said, hindsight is a beautiful thing - GWS are obviously kicking themselves as well.

Wines was a clear number 1 pick for mine.. But everyone wants X factor.

Thanks to all who have kept their perspective. To those who haven't....jog on. We are a team on the mend, it won't happen overnight but whilst it's happening positivity will help and negativity will hinder.

My impression from this thread is that the Chicken Littles are in the minority. I think most understand this isn't a surprising result, albeit a slightly disappointing one. I'm still confident we can and should get a win in Round 1.

• Like 4

Nothing wrong with facing the music. Suggestions of preferring to play softer targets makes me cringe. Sooner or later we'll turn this thing around. Our pre season has surely given our "available players" valuable insight and we haven't lost any premiership points.

We new we were short of big blokes up front today as evidenced by our 4 goals. They had us cold on matchups from the word go. I feel sure we will improve in that area as we progress.

• Like 1

My impression from this thread is that the Chicken Littles are in the minority. I think most understand this isn't a surprising result, albeit a slightly disappointing one. I'm still confident we can and should get a win in Round 1.

I agree, just frustrated by the minority. I don't see this as a set back and am still positive that this year will be one of rapid (in perspective) improvement.

I think after today reality might be setting in from many reports from those who were at the match today.

I refer to the continuing poor form of Jimmy Toumpas.

I ask honestly and in the spirit of ROBUST DEBATE

have we picked poorly again??

I can't have players that only run one way to Cale Morton like spaces, who only have one speed and who's attack on the ball could be called questionable! And before the smarties on this forum jump up and down and point to him getting whacked last game, well one what should have been uncontested mark was not and the resulting Geelong player was duly reported.

What I cannot understand is blind optimism from some supporters who say yeah well he's young, coming of ops, etc yadda yadda

Ollie Wines is so far ahead of this kid its becoming a mute point!

Get the hard ball son, do some hard running otherwise if you don't the inevitable comparisons with Ollie Wines will remain, and our recruiting strategy although from previous admin will also be heavily scrutinised and so it should!

And people like me so long suffering, will and should be sceptical until we see something, anything!

End of rant!

You are just plain WRONG. Do you even watch the games? Toumpas running one way is blatant bull___t. Get the hard ball son! That is a job any hack can do. Give me skill and class like Toump's any day. His kicking is sublime. look how many of us envy the Hawks disposal skills, and you wanted to draft another donkey to go fetch when you can get them anywhere. How would you have coped with getting your head knocked off? His form against the Tiges was good in the second half. Apart from 1 glaringly bad kick across goal in the Geelong game, tell me where he was poor. Comparisons to Ollie are for losers. Both kids had no say in where they ended up. Ollie looked like death warmed up on Draft night whereas Jimmy was ecstatic to come to our career destroying club. Look at the difference in development of our young guys and look at what Hinkley and Kochie are doing! Get over it. Wines is at Pt Adelaide and Toump is here. I think I know where I would have preferred to be drafted to. Typing away at a keyboard and sending your venom is not palatable to any of us. Give it a rest man. If you want to "see something, anything" try opening your eyes.

• Like 5

After watching yesterday's game despite getting outclassed in every aspect I think we did ok this preseason. We played three finalist in the lead up to round 1. Playing tough opposition like this is better than playing sides from the bottom. I give is a pass mark for the pre season. For those that are [censored] off with yesterday's performance need to get a grip. Roos is 3 games into his career with MFC we have a new game plan. This will take 12 months at best to try and cement this into a squad. Give it time people. This year will have a few highs and lows throughout the season. Be prepared to jump on the reality bus a few times this year. I think people got carried away after the tigers game. All I can say is that I love my Demons and bring it on 2014

A team with 2 wins vs a premiership team with seasoned players....

A team culture & development screwed over the last 5+ yrs

A team that was coached (last 2 yrs)by having a stake driven thru it

Roos & Co are repairing minds & developing players which will take more than just 2 practice games

• Like 1

Trengove had little impact. Viney came on in the third and played forward, saw him in and under but didn't see a lot of result. Toumpas runs to space and no one gets him the ball. Doesn't have any power in or out of a contest. Watts had a couple of ok possessions but a lot of time just spend standing in space watching the world go by. Didn't see any speed or much running to space to get the ball. Got the ball under pressure and got tackled hard and got up was maybe his only positive. A few times he had a chance to run hard at the ball and do something with it but instead waltzed towards it spun around a bit and coughed it up. One ok spoil and free kick in the first quarter. But really nothing defensively. Same with Toumpas. Not commitment in tackling.

Agree with that Couldnt find one positive out if that debacle, Toumpas doesn't like it rough Watts and JT are really C grade players and its virtually impossible to win a game without a forward line, I reckon the Saints have us covered and whoever pays $700,000 a season for Chip is wasting there coin like we are with those match winners Clark and Dawes

Reading DemonDave and KC on the Casey thread it brought home the fact how the Hawks have a very small injury list (Lake, Schoenmakers and perhaps one or two others) whereas while we have an equally small official injury list we have half a dozen others who apparently aren't injured but are also not quite ready to play football or being rested according to the spin we're getting from the club. Most of our tall players seem to have disappeared into some sort of Southern Hemisphere Bermuda Triangle and who knows when we're ever going to see them play again?

The result in terms of yesterday's performance and without wanting to make excuses for injuries (but as RDB called them "explanations") was rather devastating in terms of what we saw out on the ground and on the scoreboard. I suspect that it didn't matter all that much to Paul Roos whether the loss was 50, 75 or 110 points because we seemed to be playing the game without a half forward line (and IMO, you need to win at CHF if you're going to do any good so if you have nothing there then you're cactus).

I'm sure that when we take St. Kilda on in much different circumstances and conditions we'll have a much better forward/following structure even if we still don't have Jamar, Gawn, Hogan, Dawes, Garland and Clark back. At some stage during the year, the fog will lift over that Bermuda Triangle and we might have a full side which will make the coach's job a lot easier.

In the meantime, despite yesterday's setback, our midfield is slowly building and that's important for the medium and long term of this team.

• Like 4