Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

He was in the room when Nathan Lovett-Murray was injected on the Gold Coast... I cannot believe the line about Reid's diminishing power when Reid was part of overseeing the injections.

"Highlighting the diminished power of veteran club doctor Bruce Reid at the time, Lovett-Murray said Reid had told him on at least two occasions the injections would be useless. He said Dank and Reid were in the room when he was injected."

I put my trust in Stephen Dank, retired Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray says

I have felt a bit sorry for Dr Reid - he appeared to be in a bit of the meat in a sandwich situation - but if he was actually there and felt that players were being exposed to, at best useless, and at worst ??? injections then I am surprised that AHPRA hasn't shown an interest (may have of course, and cleared him).

Confusion over the status of anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 has also caused major embarrassment to ASADA.

The world anti-doping body is adamant it is banned, but ASADA officers have been accused of telling Essendon it was permitted for use in 2012.

So people have accused ASADA of causing confusion when in fact they have only said it is banned, and that is a cause of major embarrassment?

Why would they be embarrassed about something they haven't done?

:huh: :huh:

Very curious - the Age reporting it this way - ASADA has completed its probe into the AFL and the NRL, says chief executive.

Although I put forward my theory in this thread a while ago that a circumstantial case could be mounted against Essendon players without Dank's direct evidence I still find it extraordinary that ASADA hasn't sought to exercise its powers to interview him. Nevertheless, it doesn't look good for the Cronulla and Essendon players and we've heard nothing about the claims made about our own players.

Yes ... very curious.

(Robbo's earlier story has definitely been scooped - Controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank to break silence at sportsmans lunch)

Very curious - the Age reporting it this way - ASADA has completed its probe into the AFL and the NRL, says chief executive.

Although I put forward my theory in this thread a while ago that a circumstantial case could be mounted against Essendon players without Dank's direct evidence I still find it extraordinary that ASADA hasn't sought to exercise its powers to interview him. Nevertheless, it doesn't look good for the Cronulla and Essendon players and we've heard nothing about the claims made about our own players.

Yes ... very curious.

(Robbo's earlier story has definitely been scooped - Controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank to break silence at sportsmans lunch)

its ok Jack was given savlon for his foot

Yes ... very curious.

It was reported (speculated?) on ABC radio (Canberra) this morning that without Dank's direct evidence, the ASADA Report is weakened to such an extent that nothing will come of it. The term 'whitewash' was used.

Some sort of finality would be in the best interests of most, bar the Essendon crew, prior to the season proper commencing.

Bring it on FFS.

Too late for me GS. I'm horribly conflicted atm, want them punished to make sure this never happens again but picked up Watson as my first pick in a super coach draft league.

It'll be a shame for the players if they cop infractions for having trusted the coaching and medical staff, but it will make the players realise that it's them that is responsible for what goes in their bodies. If players are rubbed out we'll never see such blatant abuse of that trust again because no player will meekly sit there while a club injects them repeatedly with dodgy substances.

Hird, Robson, Dank, Robinson and Reid and any other member of the coaching/medical staff who was complicit in this should never work in football again. And yes Reid was complicit, he didn't do anywhere near enough to stop this and the players trusted him. At best he was a coward and his cowardice could cost the players up to 2 years of their careers.

At best he was a coward and his cowardice could cost the players up to 2 years of their careers.

I have wondered what will become of the players if they are given infraction notices and forced out of the game for up to two years... will Essendon honour their contracts or will the fact that they are out on drug related charges render their contracts null and void? Should be an interesting test of Essendon's moral compass.

It was reported (speculated?) on ABC radio (Canberra) this morning that without Dank's direct evidence, the ASADA Report is weakened to such an extent that nothing will come of it. The term 'whitewash' was used.

I though about this when it was first mentioned that a senior judge had been appointed to oversee ASADA's investigation and in the end I concluded that a "whitewash" involving the sweeping of both cases under the carpet would be so scandalous that it should never be entertained by a government and no judge in his right mind would involve himself in what would effectively be a totally corrupt enterprise. Furthermore, to close the file on this episode without interviewing Dank would simply add to the stench of corruption and scandal. It would almost place our government in the same filthy box as Frank Underwood in House of Cards.

I have wondered what will become of the players if they are given infraction notices and forced out of the game for up to two years... will Essendon honour their contracts or will the fact that they are out on drug related charges render their contracts null and void? Should be an interesting test of Essendon's moral compass.

Honour their contracts and give them a further upgraded contract for when their ban is over even? High unlikely yet they have done so for Brand Hird.

I though about this when it was first mentioned that a senior judge had been appointed to oversee ASADA's investigation and in the end I concluded that a "whitewash" involving the sweeping of both cases under the carpet would be so scandalous that it should never be entertained by a government and no judge in his right mind would involve himself in what would effectively be a totally corrupt enterprise. Furthermore, to close the file on this episode without interviewing Dank would simply add to the stench of corruption and scandal. It would almost place our government in the same filthy box as Frank Underwood in House of Cards.

I think WADA would move in if they thought there had been a whitewash.

Bans to come IMO , Im a little worried about Trenners and the magic cream fiasco , Imagine how the bombers fans feel . The people responsible for this saga at the bombers should be banned for life by the club itself. Claiming they didint know what was given is not an excuse. I would expect no less if it happened at the dees no matter who it was. There are enough good people with integrity in clubland to compensate.

My pop grew up in Moorabin his bro played for the Saints , He always used to say there 'was something in the water' at the saints home.

Finally ! Well there's something in those needles at the shooting gallery!

I hope Jack Trengove is going to be ok, nothing been said of Dr Bates if someone of Jacks calibre was rubbed out for a period of time I would have not much faith left in the MFC, imagine being a Bomber supporter and looking at most of your club going down that would be hard to deal with, the EFC would want to have good insurance policy's because there players are going to be filing lawsuits .

Honour their contracts and give them a further upgraded contract for when their ban is over even? High unlikely yet they have done so for Brand Hird.

Yes.... but I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that the club took (advantage of?) these kids and involved them in the program, so will they now take responsibility and continue their contracts, or will they try to save a few dollars by washing their hands of them?

Bans to come IMO , Im a little worried about Trenners and the magic cream fiasco , Imagine how the bombers fans feel . The people responsible for this saga at the bombers should be banned for life by the club itself. Claiming they didint know what was given is not an excuse. I would expect no less if it happened at the dees no matter who it was. There are enough good people with integrity in clubland to compensate.

My pop grew up in Moorabin his bro played for the Saints , He always used to say there 'was something in the water' at the saints home.

Finally ! Well there's something in those needles at the shooting gallery!

I must admit these last few days I have also been thinking did Trenners step down from the joint captaincy role to minimise the damage to the MFC if he is does face an infraction notice or further investigation.

I suspect/hope Jack will be okay and the AOD advice from ASADA being incomplete will ensure that no players are charged with use of that product. I thnk there will be infractions issued for the use of Thymosin Beta 4 and possibly other drugs to Essendon players.

By by Hirdy, Hirdy by by (Bay City Rollers)

• Like 1

I must admit these last few days I have also been thinking did Trenners step down from the joint captaincy role to minimise the damage to the MFC if he is does face an infraction notice or further investigation.

I suspect/hope Jack will be okay and the AOD advice from ASADA being incomplete will ensure that no players are charged with use of that product. I thnk there will be infractions issued for the use of Thymosin Beta 4 and possibly other drugs to Essendon players.

By by Hirdy, Hirdy by by (Bay City Rollers)

Who says Trenners used the cream anyway, he was apparently advised it might be good for him. That's a long way from him having or using the stuff.

I think Doc Reid's substantiates that good doctor was fully aware of the serious ramifications of observed practices.

Allegedly the good doctors letter got to Essendon CEO Ian Robson.

Robson was sacked because all this happened on his watch. And the good doctor.....?

Reid had tough choices... Escalate serious issue or resign. He squibbed on both fronts.

You are loose with the truth. Robson offered to resign after the initial press conference. This was rejected. He then offered his resignation after the Ziggy inquiry and it was accepted.

You can read more here. http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-05-23/ian-robson-resigns

• Like 1

The substantial difference as I am aware and I obviously only know what I have read, between JT and the Bombers, is that JT has never admitted taking the substance only that it was recommended in an SMS. The Bombers have admitted being injected regularly during a season with various known or unknown substances. Other evidence and statements may show what those substances were.

• Like 1

I said at the time that the Judge was apponted to ASADA, that it was probably to help with deciding whether there was enough evidence to lay charges. I am convinced of that now.

To have a Judge review the evidence and then lay charges, makes them a lot stronger than if some inexperienced clerk laid them.

That said, the fact that Dank hasn't been required to give evidence, suggests to me they have enough to make their case.

• Like 1