Feel for the guy when you read things like: "Harrington will be the fall guy for many of last year's controversial recruits, including David Rodan, Shannon Byrnes and Tom Gillies, although he was overruled on some of those by then coach Mark Neeld."

Also, find it hard to believe Jason Taylor is "under pressure", hasn't even had a chance to show what he can do yet. Although, it could just be because Todd did such a good job with last years draft I guess.

• Like 4

Hahahah. This is classic. Thank **** Jackson isn't my boss I'd be [censored] bricks every morning I came to work.

Pathetic basketcase no longer.

If you simply did your job why would you feel awkward

Being incapable of doing your job is a different matter

In a football club where your in a competition your expertise is always under scrutiny

IMO a 3 year deal for Pederson is a blunder

99% of supporters think so but the list manager doesn't ?

Show him the door i say

• Like 5

Also, find it hard to believe Jason Taylor is "under pressure", hasn't even had a chance to show what he can do yet. Although, it could just be because Todd did such a good job with last years draft I guess.

Kind of makes you question the authority of the writer's opinions doesn't it?

• Like 1

He's been with us for a few years and we now have the worst list in the comp so regardless of coach interference I think he had to go for that. Although he mainly couldn't improve the list it's not like he turned the whole thing over for duds just mainly the bottom 5 spots this year could've been spent much better.

Is this a true redundancy that means his job isn't required or is it a sacking.

Potentially I see a role of Viney moving in to list manager and development pathway manager. Taylor recruits. Footy operation manager then takes over the business side of list management - remember list management involves financial management of contracts as well as working with the coaches and recruiter to establish the 44 man line up each year.

Harrington and Predergast both came from North didn't they? And I don't think they came with top line resumes.

Of course Taylor is under pressure. He's got a hell of a job having to pick some top line players for the worst team in the league.

But it's either his first draft with us or if he had impact with us last year then he seemed to chose wisely with Toumpas, Kent, Barry, Terlich, Matt Jones, Clisby looking like a good crop. Too early to tell with Stark and if we had another spot it would've gone to Hannath who looks a nice type as well.

i remember PJ said a few weeks ago that the most important job in a footy club is the List manager

Once he said that i knew Harrington was finished

Action Jackson strikes again, what a champ!

Melbourne chief executive Peter Jackson confirmed Harrington's departure last night. "Tim's departure is not performance related. It reflects the need to reduce the overall cost of the structure," he said.

"Tim has worked diligently in his role for more than four years at the club, and I'm certain he will find another productive role in the AFL industry."

?................

Harrington and Predergast both came from North didn't they? And I don't think they came with top line resumes.

..........and Pedersen

i remember PJ said a few weeks ago that the most important job in a footy club is the List manager

Once he said that i knew Harrington was finished

Action Jackson strikes again, what a champ!

This is what concerns me about this.

While I'm not sad that Harrington's gone, to make the position of list manager redundant seems a little off to me.

Especially if the CEO has recently said this!

This is what concerns me about this.

While I'm not sad that Harrington's gone, to make the position of list manager redundant seems a little off to me.

Especially if the CEO has recently said this!

You can't pay someone a redundancy if the job exists. Relax. There's now no job for Tim.

But in a few weeks you never know - we might need a list manager....

I don't know about the "performance related" thing but I believe that one aspect of the way our list management was conducted last year may have had a significant impact on the way the playing group has performed this year. The decision made and announced early that the club would not re-sign players until after the trade period concluded in October would have been looked at adversely by the players. This would have been felt directly by those whose careers were immediately put into limbo for a couple of months (and a number left or had their careers terminated altogether) and indirectly by many of the others in the playing group whose contractual positions were to be determined in the future.

Other clubs might conduct things in a similar way but I've never seen it articulated in the way it was done at Melbourne. It was a strange way of going about things but if you think about it, this was tantamount to an open admission that they were treating the playing group as if they were cattle. The direction might have come from the board or from list management but it had to be perceived by the players as ultimately coming from their coach.

Even if many of the decisions made were correct and could be justified, it was the manner in which it was handled that IMO later caused things to unravel at the club. This would have been compounded by the long running and on going tanking inquisition during which the notion would have been reinforced. The football department kept saying that they felt that the players were being quarantined from the effects of that trial but in fact, I believe it simply fueled the seeds of doubt in the minds of many in the playing group.

That's my theory anyway and "performance based" or not, I believe that notwithstanding the work he's done for the club, Harrington's departure might prove as significant on our playing fortunes from hereon in as those of Schwab, McLardy and Neeld.

• Like 3

Could this be Todd Vineys new position once the FD has been re structured?

That's what I was thinking, quite possible. I hope they find a spot for Todd and utilize his skills (he killed the last draft period) as he would be a big loss to the club.

• Like 2

Could this be Todd Vineys new position once the FD has been re structured?

It would be difficult for Todd to take this position with Jack at the club...in fact I would think it the ultimate conflict of interest overseeing the contract of your son.

That said I would hope to see the right job open up for Todd and maybe that is in recruiting, it would also be good to keep Neil Craig on in a development role if he was not retained as senior coach.

It would be far from correct to say all the bad decisions were his alone. For then youd have to acknowledge the good ones too. Which in a fair world you do. Harringtons efforts were not all smeared with failure. He has however, unfortunately for him, got himself a legacy of no great success, not with us .

What I believe is going on here is simply a cleanout. Jackson has always spoken of the importance of the list, the need for a sound football dept that works towards things "footy" and in an effective way. We had none of this apparently ( amazing given the money thrown at it in recent times ) . The FD was still inept and the recruiting , overall, particularly,well, bizarre comes to mind.

The buck stops somewhere. Even though some of the more contentious signings of late were not all of Tims doing it shows he managed a general trend. Our list speaks for itself really and it will be this overview that eventually condemned its overseer.

Jackson is looking to rebuild this club with , in what he I imagine views, as higher calibre and achieving people.

Good for us

• Like 1

Of course Taylor is under pressure. He's got a hell of a job having to pick some top line players for the worst team in the league.

But it's either his first draft with us or if he had impact with us last year then he seemed to chose wisely with Toumpas, Kent, Barry, Terlich, Matt Jones, Clisby looking like a good crop. Too early to tell with Stark and if we had another spot it would've gone to Hannath who looks a nice type as well.

Lets wait and see what you think in 2 years time. Morton, bennell, Scully, gysberts were tracking ahead of most of those in their first year. In fact matt jones is the only arguable one.