"There's a strong argument," Gil McLachlan on a Priority Pick.

The doggies and lions don't care if we deserve it either - they just want to say what they need to in an effort to prevent us getting one, so their picks don't get pushed back a place.

It's all about motive.

the dogs won more games in 09 and 0 10 than we have in the past 6 years, I fail to see why there complaining, Brisbane are probably bitching because of Mitch Clark, the picks locked in, unless we win 6 games in the home straight.

the dogs won more games in 09 and 0 10 than we have in the past 6 years, I fail to see why there complaining, Brisbane are probably bitching because of Mitch Clark, the picks locked in, unless we win 6 games in the home straight.

Doubt the Lions are bitching about Clark. They were happy to swap him to us for a high pick, rather than to Freo for a worse one. Also, he hasn't played much in the last two years.

• Like 2

Discussion on draft assistance for Melbourne seems to have gone quiet following Melbourne's win over the Western Bulldogs but I must confess, I nearly fell over when I heard Caroline Wilson say on Footy Classified that the Bulldogs had a better case for assistance than Melbourne.

The reality is that the Western Bulldogs' barnstorming finish clearly highlighted exactly why Melbourne so badly needs draft assistance. Melbourne was smashed at the stoppages most of the day but in that last quarter hour, its midfield was helpless to stop the run and conceeded seven goals without much of a yelp. Until this situation can be addressed, we'll continue to struggle and accordingly, some sort of concessions are necessary to help us get up to speed. I'm more convinced now than ever that we have a good case.

As for the Bulldogs their coach said he didn't want help so the matter should end there with his club.

• Like 2

Doubt the Lions are bitching about Clark. They were happy to swap him to us for a high pick, rather than to Freo for a worse one. Also, he hasn't played much in the last two years.

Agreed. The general vibe around the Brisbane fans (online at least) was that they'd been resigned to losing him for a while, and were grateful to us for paying a fair price as Freo were trying to screw them. They were as pleased as we were.

• Like 1

Confucius say: "Journey of thousand miles begin with single step."

It was actually Lao Tzu who said that, some say it translates as "beneath the feet" rather than "with a single step".

He also wrote "The Art of War", a favourite Malthouse text.

Confucius said: "Man under car with tool in hand not necessarily mechanic".

Correction: "The Art of War" was the work of Sun Tzu, Lao's second cousin

Edited by CHAMP
  • Like 1

Discussion on draft assistance for Melbourne seems to have gone quiet following Melbourne's win over the Western Bulldogs but I must confess, I nearly fell over when I heard Caroline Wilson say on Footy Classified that the Bulldogs had a better case for assistance than Melbourne.

The reality is that the Western Bulldogs' barnstorming finish clearly highlighted exactly why Melbourne so badly needs draft assistance. Melbourne was smashed at the stoppages most of the day but in that last quarter hour, its midfield was helpless to stop the run and conceeded seven goals without much of a yelp. Until this situation can be addressed, we'll continue to struggle and accordingly, some sort of concessions are necessary to help us get up to speed. I'm more convinced now than ever that we have a good case.

As for the Bulldogs their coach said he didn't want help so the matter should end there with his club.

You can't deny that it would raise more than a few eyebrows if we got assistance ahead of the Dogs after pretty much controlling the match against them for three quarters. Big Max was out on his feet towards the end of the game, as could be expected from a young ruckman, and Minson took full advantage. Up until that point, we were very competitive at the stoppages. Plus it's been a loooong time since we've had to hold onto a lead.

The Dogs were dreadful on the weekend, let's not pretend otherwise. In saying that, I think both clubs would survive just fine without a PP.

It was actually Lao Tzu who said that, some say it translates as "beneath the feet" rather than "with a single step".

He also wrote "The Art of War", a favourite Malthouse text.

Confucius said: "Man under car with tool in hand not necessarily mechanic".

Correction: "The Art of War" was the work of Sun Tzu, Lao's second cousin

. I think I met those guys on a tram in Victoria St!

You can't deny that it would raise more than a few eyebrows if we got assistance ahead of the Dogs after pretty much controlling the match against them for three quarters. Big Max was out on his feet towards the end of the game, as could be expected from a young ruckman, and Minson took full advantage. Up until that point, we were very competitive at the stoppages. Plus it's been a loooong time since we've had to hold onto a lead.

The Dogs were dreadful on the weekend, let's not pretend otherwise. In saying that, I think both clubs would survive just fine without a PP.

It can raise as many eyebrows as you like but it's not about one game. it's about consistent poor performance. We are in position to get a PP and if the dogs stay down for a few more years they will be in position for a PP then.

• Like 3

Why on earth shouldn't we be given priority over the Bulldogs? Our record over the past 5-6 years has been far worse than ours! Also on top of that, we are the only team in the AFL who has been officially found to be "not guilty of tanking"! On that score alone, surely we deserve a priority pick!

Really don't see what all of the fuss is about. Priority picks and bonuses? I'm more more interested in the players on our list sticking together and saying "it's up to us to change and make us a stronger club". I'd rather see us improve with viney, toumpas, Kent and jones another preseason, Evans, nicho, trengove, grimes, terlich, tommy mac, blease, Strauss and watts all keep naturally improving by playing games together and with the addition of pick 2 (or 3,4) pick 20ish and a big chase of dale Thomas or Taylor Adams, we could improve a lot quicker than everyone thinks.

If buddy franklin joins up with gws, which would most likely put them out of the running for Tom Boyd, what are everyone's thoughts on trading say, our pick 2 to Carlton for yarran or Lucas and their pick 7ish, or st kilda for their pick 5ish and maybe a 2year deal for montagna or dal santo. I only mention this as IF gws would overlook Boyd, they would jump for the chance to get him.

• Like 1

The chase for early picks and PP's has bought the MFC to its knees.

This club has to get over this fixation that early draft picks will fix everything.

If it did we would be in the eight right now.

Play every week to win, at the end of the season use whatever picks we get well.

Then develop the young players we choice well.

That IMO will see us rise up the ladder.

But we always want the quick fix.

Forget it, it does not work.

• Like 1

Astonishing call from Caroline.

Pity no one on the panel pointed out to her that over the last seven years Melbourne has not finished higher than 12th, while the Dogs have made three preliminary finals.

• Like 4

Astonishing call from Caroline.

hardly !! absolute par

• Like 1

Why on earth shouldn't we be given priority over the Bulldogs? Our record over the past 5-6 years has been far worse than ours! Also on top of that, we are the only team in the AFL who has been officially found to be "not guilty of tanking"! On that score alone, surely we deserve a priority pick!

No doubt we have, but surely judgements over a PP should be largely made on the state of the list as it stands. We got a fairly good indication of that on Saturday night, with all but one of our best contributors being under 25. The Dogs are still relying on Griffen, Gia, Cooney to get them over the line. Once they go, they are in for some pain.

I'm not discounting the fact that the PP should be discussed. Our results this year demand that it does. But personally I don't discount the Neeld factor as being significant in not allowing us to get a true indication on the amount of talent we have in this group.

I acknowledge I'm in the minority on this.

(Let's not get into the "not guilty of tanking" verdict. Not guilty, but we'll fine you 500K and put the culprits of what you didn't do out of a job)

The chase for early picks and PP's has bought the MFC to its knees.

This club has to get over this fixation that early draft picks will fix everything.

If it did we would be in the eight right now.

Play every week to win, at the end of the season use whatever picks we get well.

Then develop the young players we choice well.

That IMO will see us rise up the ladder.

But we always want the quick fix.

Forget it, it does not work.

What is quick about drafting a good teenager?

And can posters stop equating 'tanking' to asking for draft assistance?

No-one is advocating losing, I hope we win the 7 games that some poor Dees fans think we can get to. But it is irrelevant and I fear we will see how far away we are from Sydney and Geelong in the next two weeks.

But we are nowhere near the middling teams - as Jackson has oft-repeated - we are a drain on the AFL right now.

We need some assets to move for good midfielders. Give us some low picks to trade for some young midfielders.

Draft Assistance is an equalisation measure and that policy should kick in for the MFC after our record over the past 6 years - 35-2-109.

JAckson has asked for it - frankly I am amazed people on here can't see why he has asked for it.

• Like 4

What is quick about drafting a good teenager?

And can posters stop equating 'tanking' to asking for draft assistance?

No-one is advocating losing, I hope we win the 7 games that some poor Dees fans think we can get to. But it is irrelevant and I fear we will see how far away we are from Sydney and Geelong in the next two weeks.

But we are nowhere near the middling teams - as Jackson has oft-repeated - we are a drain on the AFL right now.

We need some assets to move for good midfielders. Give us some low picks to trade for some young midfielders.

Draft Assistance is an equalisation measure and that policy should kick in for the MFC after our record over the past 6 years - 35-2-109.

JAckson has asked for it - frankly I am amazed people on here can't see why he has asked for it.

I certainly don't think we'll get near 7 wins, but I'll be watching with great interest as to how we go in the next two weeks, and indeed for the rest of the year. The season might be shot but in some ways it is like watching the team for the first time this year.

• Like 1