WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

"All I can tell you is Peter [Jackson] and I had a good discussion ... at the moment, I said to him there's no interest in me coaching a football club."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-15/roos-not-keen-to-coach?utm_medium=RSS

You get no argument from me over that line... however, as I said:

"What he cited as having been said to PJ three weeks ago, WAS his position at that time and what he said last night IS his position in the here and now."

There was a lot said before the PJ discussion comments came up in the banter between Healey, Shehan and Roos; and that is when he said no, he is not interested in the coaching position at the MFC next year.

Not a bad summary. Pretty much on board with that except for the bolded part. There's no eveidence to support this. If there was , point 1 wouldn't have arisen.

I think the previous board did a lot that was very good and a few things that did not work. CEO's and money making were things that they struggled with in a difficult environment. The current group are better at the moneymaking but worse at executive control, they leak like a seive and suck at being responsible.

You get no argument from me over that line... however, as I said:

"What he cited as having been said to PJ three weeks ago, WAS his position at that time and what he said last night IS his position in the here and now."

There was a lot said before the PJ discussion comments came up in the banter between Healey, Shehan and Roos; and that is when he said no, he is not interested in the coaching position at the MFC next year.

You're saying he definitely will not coach the MFC next year? Is that your opinion?

"All I can tell you is Peter [Jackson] and I had a good discussion ... at the moment, I said to him there's no interest in me coaching a football club."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-15/roos-not-keen-to-coach?utm_medium=RSS

"...at the moment" could also be interpreted as meaning under these current circumstances.

The plot thickens, we'll know soon enough!

Roos is not going to give a definitive answer now for 2 reasons

1 The New Board has not been finalized

2 The Current interim coach is also a candidate...

The coach's club are a pretty tight bunch, they all know how stressful it is.

A decision will not be made till seasons end IMO

No one has been ruled out yet...The Media just want the story....

• Like 3

quality journalism lives on at the age:

Roos set to reject 'attractive' Demons coaching job

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/roos-set-to-reject-attractive-demons-coaching-job-20130716-2q0sm.html#ixzz2ZASeszTF

not only do they not have any direct quotes, they simply regurgitate what was said otc and fc last night, none of which could be remotely described as definitive.

quality journalism lives on at the age:

Roos set to reject 'attractive' Demons coaching job

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/roos-set-to-reject-attractive-demons-coaching-job-20130716-2q0sm.html#ixzz2ZASeszTF

not only do they not have any direct quotes, they simply regurgitate what was said otc and fc last night, none of which could be remotely described as definitive.

Never let the truth get in the road of a good story DA!

Talk about a story concocted from no evidence.

Roos is not going to give a definitive answer now for 2 reasons

1 The New Board has not been finalized

2 The Current interim coach is also a candidate...

The coach's club are a pretty tight bunch, they all know how stressful it is.

A decision will not be made till seasons end IMO

No one has been ruled out yet...The Media just want the story....

WYL making the most sense.

All those saying that we should 'move on' to the next candidate - we can't interview 'The Next Candidate' because Eade and Williams are under contract to teams that will be playing in September.

The media want a resolution because they are nothing more than a group of hyperventalating Zombies that have a talking-point to run into the ground.

We don't need to rush. We have no competition and we have an interim coach that is right up there with the secondary candidates.

There is no need to move on from Roos, there is no need to rush to appoint anyone.

• Like 3

If that really is the case, then I would assume that the "conditions" relate to who Roos would want on his coaching team and may be dependent upon our ability to pay out any existing contracts and our ability to pay the incoming replacements - this would obviously be decided by the value of the AFL's assistance package.

I would also imagine that the people that Roos wants on his team have to think on the 'offer' from Roos, and by extension the club too and be able to commit as well.

Hypothetically Roos might have asked Ling to come on board, Ling would have to give up his media commitments and put in place some management of his other business affairs outside footy.

My thoughts are that trying to sound out potential coaching staff and people out of media spotlight would be hard enough as it is, so Roos playing such a non committal impression keeps the focus squarely on him at this point and not on what he, PJ and the AFL are trying to do. It's the classic illusionist trick of keeping someone focused on the distraction whilst the 'magic' occurs.

I personally haven't heard what Roos said OTC, but if he isn't interested he would have said so, and even if he was talking to Brisbane or WCE he can quite easily close the door on the Dees and say no thanks. He hasn't said that yet, and therefore is still very much in the picture for the AFL and MFC until such time as he categorically walks away.

Unlike some others I have no idea what Roos will do. But nothing has changed. I watched last night and reckon people are trying to read into things that aren't there.

The simple facts are that when asked last year whether he'd coach Carlton in 2013 he said "no". When asked if he could categorically rule it out he said "yes". End of story. When asked the same question about Melbourne he now won't make "closed ended statements, but nothing has changed".

He's just as likely to coach next year as he was before. Or not.

If I had to guess I'd say he wants to, and is a strong chance to, but will baulk when asked until the end of the year, or close to it. Or not.

• Like 5

Unlike some others I have no idea what Roos will do. But nothing has changed. I watched last night and reckon people are trying to read into things that aren't there.

The simple facts are that when asked last year whether he'd coach Carlton in 2013 he said "no". When asked if he could categorically rule it out he said "yes". End of story. When asked the same question about Melbourne he now won't make "closed ended statements, but nothing has changed".

He's just as likely to coach next year as he was before. Or not.

If I had to guess I'd say he wants to, and is a strong chance to, but will baulk when asked until the end of the year, or close to it. Or not.

Me neither.

I find the reporting and commentary by supposed journalist so amusing.

1/ there is a coach in place with under half a season to run

2/ other potential coaches are still under contract

3/ the committee has just been formed

4/ the board and admin has not been finalised

The calls for Roos to make a decision..then to move on...to talk to others is premature in the extreme.

The timetable is so set in concrete that calls for decisions now lack all semblence of reason and logic. It will happen seasons end - roos or no roos. The only thing that may happen before is Roos may categorically rules himself out. so be it.

• Like 5

umm why dont we have a president yet?

because Vlad has yet to ratify anyone.

I couldn't care a less if Roos coaches or not......

Him and Lyon ( the StK & Freo one) ruined footy for me...I hate the way they coach(we only kicked 3 goals but kept them to 2)The fully defensive mind set..Yep we might win a few but two and a half hours of rugby like play is just so boring to watch.

Stone me if you want to but I go to the footy to watch the fast attacking sport that I have loved for many years......AFL is now glorified rugby.....Thanks to these two....

• Like 1

because Vlad has yet to ratify anyone.

i really hope its not that Geoff freeman guy who is in his 60's and is currently overseas getting medical treatment

doesn't exactly inspire confidence

cant remember where I read or heard but Freeman got x-nayed by Vlad

• Like 1

I think it says in one of the other threads (about compensation packages) that the AFL has cautiously approved an Alan Stockdale led ticket, it doesn't say much more than that though sorry.

I find the antics on OTC interesting.

I understand they are trying to inform the viewer , who is not in the know, but here are some interesting things to think about when the go through the same charade on the coming Monday.

• Roos knows the question is coming and has his pre rehearsed answer ready.
  • Gerard and Mike already know the answer before they ask the question.(Gerard's brother is on the MFC board therfore he would know exactly what the situation is without having to ask Roos)

All this pantomime stuff is for the viewers. The interesting thing to me is that Roos hasn't categorically ruled it out therfore there may be some sticking point he is waiting to be clarified before he makes a decision one way or the other.

I think they should give up asking him on OTC until there is a change in the situation that comes to hand.

Edited by FairBump PlayOn
  • Like 3

Him and Lyon ( the StK & Freo one) ruined footy for me...I hate the way they coach(we only kicked 3 goals but kept them to 2)The fully defensive mind set..Yep we might win a few but two and a half hours of rugby like play is just so boring to watch.

Stone me if you want to but I go to the footy to watch the fast attacking sport that I have loved for many years......AFL is now glorified rugby.....Thanks to these two....

I love rugby, but I hate the way Lyon's teams played. With a player like Rooie who is one of the best CHF ever, he still made it a dour tussle. In saying that he/They were very very close to a flag so who cares how it looked.

Who knows what game plan he may have with player slike Clarke and Hogan in the fwd....

You could also be talking about the Northey-coached Melbourne. Big wins were rare and we tended to grind them out.

I am no great fan of Roos although he commands respect. But the fascinating thing for me is whether he would adopt a different style for the MCG to that he employed at the SCG

And with a forward set up of Clark, Dawes, Howe, Watts and Fitz at his disposal I wonder if he would look for a more attacking approach.

A smart coach works with the materials he has at hand rather than bends them to a predetermined style. If he wanted to be remembered as a great coach that would be the way to go.

• Like 1

I couldn't care a less if Roos coaches or not......Him and Lyon ( the StK & Freo one) ruined footy for me...I hate the way they coach(we only kicked 3 goals but kept them to 2)The fully defensive mind set..Yep we might win a few but two and a half hours of rugby like play is just so boring to watch.Stone me if you want to but I go to the footy to watch the fast attacking sport that I have loved for many years......AFL is now glorified rugby.....Thanks to these two....

I go to the footy to HOPEFULLY win, get a grip princess.