Melbourne commencement dinner

dees189227

The encouraging thing I take out of Robbie's post is this:

"The coach is excited with the playing group and said success may come a lot quicker that we think, said don't worry about the negative headlines just focus on the club, he's very positive."

That's a far cry from about 16 months ago when he came into the club, and expressed utter bewilderment at the professionalism, culture, fitness level etc of the list.

As everyone knows, Neeld calls a spade a spade. He also commands confidence and respect, and strikes me as being very competent/capable.

So, if he's positive, I'm positive.

It wasn't just positivity Ron he was brimming with confidence, it seems as if he believes we are not that far away from finals.

Couple of other things; Jeremy thinks there will be another bit of a clear out at the end of the year but it would appear not a major one and the only player they miss is Riv, the rest are not going to lessen the playing group.

The players are not fazed by playing in Darwin but they would like a bigger than 6 day break in between games.

Jeremy was gobsmacked when he saw some footage of past players when games were played in mud baths; like most his age he was only used to billiard like surfaces, I pointed out that before proper drainage it was like that most weeks in Melbourne.

Got to say it was obvious who the leaders were they were the ones who fully engaged their sponsors, Jonesy never stopped talking to his and neither did Mitch and the rest of the group were equally involved. On that I reckon Jack Watts could talk to any one any time and if the person expired during the discussion he would just keep on talking and keep on smiling. Jack doesn't talk he holds court and the women in particular just love him; he never stops smiling.

I was feeling a bit flat coming in to the year but after last night I think it will be better than i thought; I mentioned to Jeremy that i was hoping for about 10 wins and he gave me the distinct impression that the group expected about that as well. He also mentioned Etihad and pointed out that it is difficult playing there because we get hardly any of or supporters there and he said that makes a big difference.

BTW the coach said he was very pleased the way the pre-season had gone and Jeremy said you don't knock yourself out in practice matches. Take from that what you want.

• Like 12

"He also mentioned Etihad and pointed out that it is difficult playing there because we get hardly any of or supporters there and he said that makes a big difference."

"The players are not fazed by playing in Darwin but they would like a bigger than 6 day break in between games"

Speak to the players and you will get answers

To the G centric supporters, it is only another 4 km to Etihad, if you sit on Level 3 you can move around, can recommend quite a few hostelries and eateries down that end before the game, you can even get a discount if you go to the Wharf

Top post Robbie F..........just another note on Watts.........went to training last year and he made a point of coming over and wishing me Happy Birthday.......he'd actually remembered from year before.......he brings a lot more to the Club than just his footy smarts

• Like 8

It wasn't just positivity Ron he was brimming with confidence, it seems as if he believes we are not that far away from finals.

Couple of other things; Jeremy thinks there will be another bit of a clear out at the end of the year but it would appear not a major one and the only player they miss is Riv, the rest are not going to lessen the playing group.

The players are not fazed by playing in Darwin but they would like a bigger than 6 day break in between games.

Jeremy was gobsmacked when he saw some footage of past players when games were played in mud baths; like most his age he was only used to billiard like surfaces, I pointed out that before proper drainage it was like that most weeks in Melbourne.

Got to say it was obvious who the leaders were they were the ones who fully engaged their sponsors, Jonesy never stopped talking to his and neither did Mitch and the rest of the group were equally involved. On that I reckon Jack Watts could talk to any one any time and if the person expired during the discussion he would just keep on talking and keep on smiling. Jack doesn't talk he holds court and the women in particular just love him; he never stops smiling.

I was feeling a bit flat coming in to the year but after last night I think it will be better than i thought; I mentioned to Jeremy that i was hoping for about 10 wins and he gave me the distinct impression that the group expected about that as well. He also mentioned Etihad and pointed out that it is difficult playing there because we get hardly any of or supporters there and he said that makes a big difference.

Great insight robbie thanks alot!!

Intresting you mention about Rivers, i too think he will be a big loss but it also show he had a good inluence on the players compared to Moloney who was bit of a track bully.

Couple of other things; Jeremy thinks there will be another bit of a clear out at the end of the year but it would appear not a major one and the only player they mss is Riv, the rest are not going to lessen the playing group.

Was there much said about anniversary of Jimmy passing away? Obviously last year he got presented with a blazer at this dinner so it seems fitting for them to pay tribute to him at this function.

It's amazing to think the difference in situation the club is in compared to 12 months ago.

Was there much said about anniversary of Jimmy passing away? Obviously last year he got presented with a blazer at this dinner so it seems fitting for them to pay tribute to him at this function.

It's amazing to think the difference in situation the club is in compared to 12 months ago.

Not much mention other than we have to move on from there, which we do. They mentioned the presentation of the Blazer but it was not dwelt on.

BTW the coach said he was very pleased the way the pre-season had gone and Jeremy said you don't knock yourself out in practice matches. Take from that what you want.

Appreciate your posts Robbie (and others who have contributed that were there).

This last bit was the exact vibe that I got from sitting on the HFF at Southport last Saturday. You could tell the players were going through their paces. By all means you compete in any match, any where, any time, any place, but sometimes, winning isn't the main priority. It is good to be able to say that with the knowledge that when the real games start that winning IS our priority.

• Like 1

"He also mentioned Etihad and pointed out that it is difficult playing there because we get hardly any of or supporters there and he said that makes a big difference."

"The players are not fazed by playing in Darwin but they would like a bigger than 6 day break in between games"

Speak to the players and you will get answers

To the G centric supporters, it is only another 4 km to Etihad, if you sit on Level 3 you can move around, can recommend quite a few hostelries and eateries down that end before the game, you can even get a discount if you go to the Wharf

Top post Robbie F..........just another note on Watts.........went to training last year and he made a point of coming over and wishing me Happy Birthday.......he'd actually remembered from year before.......he brings a lot more to the Club than just his footy smarts

Agree on Watts. WJ and I vocally supported him from the fence at Southport in his first year in a Casey game against GC a few years ago. We probably made fools of ourselves the way we acknowledged every little thing he did. We did it primarily because he was copping it for the locals for being the number 1 pick and we wanted to defend him. Each time he came off he smiled at us. After the game he came over and said thanks. To this day whenever I speak to him he remembers it. He is a great boy and I hope he ends up a star for us and shoves it up Matthews and a few others.
  • Like 9

I felt good [and positive] after reading 'Heartbeat' this morning and I feel supremely confident after reading the excellent posts on this thread. Thank you guys for being so expansive and positive!

p.s. I particularly like the comments on Watts. He will be a super star!

• Like 1

Blazers are a very specific clothing item generally associated with an upper-class, exclusive and smug section of British-inherited culture. And not much else.

I'm not particularly comfortable with them, it even points to the shameful little Melbourne city characteristic of people caring what school you went to.

Basically, I and eight of ten other people know that we will never be welcomed in any organisation which includes a blazer in the way it presents itself.

Maybe we should try something genuinely unique- go for match-day garters! Practical, too, you can put your mouthguard in them when you are taking a set shot.

Blazers are a very specific clothing item generally associated with an upper-class, exclusive and smug section of British-inherited culture. And not much else.

I'm not particularly comfortable with them, it even points to the shameful little Melbourne city characteristic of people caring what school you went to.

Basically, I and eight of ten other people know that we will never be welcomed in any organisation which includes a blazer in the way it presents itself.

Maybe we should try something genuinely unique- go for match-day garters! Practical, too, you can put your mouthguard in them when you are taking a set shot.

When I was younger and was at school I attended Northcote High School and it was compulsory to wear the school uniform including a Blazer and Cap, that was and is a Government school.

Just one other thing, the players refer to Kent as our Stuie Dew with his shape and booming 60 mtr kicks, he just has to work on his hair cut.

The commencent dinner's a great concept. You rub shoulders with the greats of the club and the game as well as with dedicated Demon fans and the players. Towards the end of the night I chatted briefly with Ron Barassi and showed him a picture of my grandson wearing 31 when he was a team mascot a couple of weeks ago at the Casey Fields NAB Cup game. It got a big smile out of him.

I sat on Max Gawn's table and he's raring to go. He won't be playing for Casey this week but should start his comeback the following week in Casey's final practice game v Box Hill Hawks. He has a fantastic attitude and I reckon will go far, not just as a player but in all facets of the game. Not that it's exactly the pinnacle of the sport but if he can become a regular and start playing good footy on a weekly basis, I can see him as a regular panellist on the Footy Show and in the media. Of course, there's a lot of hard work to be done before he gets there.

Speaking to the players there's a quiet air of confidence that we're going to be better than most of the critics are suggesting and I got the same feeling when Mark Neeld spoke later in the evening. On that score, I reckon the coach seems far more composed and comfortable in the role now than, at the start of last season when the team performed so limply and he was personally subjected to attacks in the media and to that fabricated racism slur.

The evening was compered by Sandy Roberts who was in good form and showed that he was more than just a sports newsreader. Don McLardy was good, briefly opening with the tanking investigation, thanking those board members who worked on our defence and promising that the club was no longer going to be silent in the face of some of the unwarranted attacks on the club we see in the media. About time.

The life member, hall of fame inductions and our fifth legend presentations were all well received and the blazers are growing on me. I don't think the players have a problem with them at all.

As for what's happening in the immediate future, I think Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes and James Frawley are all good chances for Sunday week but Tom McDonald is in doubt. Jack Trengove and Sam Blease, because of the positions they play, might be a week or two behind that. It comes as no surprise for me to suggest a large number of new players will represent the club for the first time next week and in that respect, we will need to break new ground because history says those sorts of teams take a while to gel together and produce winning form. However, the consensus among the players seems to be that those who have departed were in the main, not the hardest of workers on the track, and things are very much different now. If that's true, the Neeld/Craig/Misson combo is starting to turn around our (for want of a better word) culture.

And, because a discussion on the current team can't take place without mention of him, I just want to say that Jack Watts looks to have matured physically and will be a far more influential player than many people think.

Great post WJ, thanks for taking the time to inform others who can not get there.

I was in attendance tonight and it was enjoyable. The new players got their Blazers like them or not there were a few inducted in to the Hall of Fame including Alan Johnson who was there with his som Chris, it seems he is back in touch with the club after the spat.

Sat with Jeremy Howe and he's keen to get in to it, said the Darwin camp was unbelievably hard, even when you stop it as still sapping because of the heat and conditions. I asked him about the delisted players and he said it was just about attitude to training and that some players get to a certain point then they just stop, he said its all about the last 15 minutes of training and you had to get through that as it was the most important. Gys and a few others just didn't have it in them to keep going he thinks it was because of how it was done in the past. The new kids coming in have only seen the way it's done now so they are buying in no problem.

Loves Toumpass reckons he's the happiest person he's ever met and very strong, should play first round. Thinks Jesse Hogan will be a star he's just huge and a great awareness of the game excited about the future.

Got cleaned up at training by Mitch he said he got crunched reckons Mitch is looking great and should be ready for round one. Trenners is a little way off he's lost a bit of weight they feel he had put on too much upper body muscle. Mentioned Tappers said he and Sylvia aren't allowed too much Gym time because they just get too big, that's been part of Tappers problem.

The players up the field love Jack in the back line their eyes light up when he got the ball because he's such a great distributor I think he'll stay their for a while he's put on weight and his strength has increased significantly. Just has to get rid of the beard there are some shockers.

The coach is excited with the playing group and said success may come a lot quicker that we think, said don't worry about the negative headlines just focus on the club, he's very positive.

Getting late if I can think of anything else worth adding I will tomorrow.

Thanks Robbie very informative post. Gives me some hope for the season.

I was contemplating going to the commencement dinner, but decided against it because I thought it was going to be a lot like the Bluey Truscott night.

From what I have read it is more all encompassing and far more entertaining.

I think from what I've read it has to be my must attend function to attend.

I agree that the little phrase Neeldy said about the quick improvement has me really pumped.

GO DEES