Training - Wednesday, 6th March, 2013

Mitch Clark & Jack Trengove back in full training today. Great to see & look to be moving well.

Great news. Hopefully no setbacks, and now just a matter of gaining match fitness. All Demonlanders please touch wood!

• Like 2

Maybe a chance of CLARK and DAWES round 1

Clark, Dawes, Selwood, Howe, Byrnes, Kent/Davey, not a bad set of options looming for Round 1. Now we just need to get it out of the midfield like we did last weekend against Port but against their best 22 this time.

• Like 1

Clark, Dawes, Selwood, Howe, Byrnes, Kent/Davey, not a bad set of options looming for Round 1. Now we just need to get it out of the midfield like we did last weekend against Port but against their best 22 this time.

MMM?

Good player Selwood, all of them. Viney the new version and Sellar is showing some promise as the forward ruck option.

Good player Selwood, all of them. Viney the new version and Sellar is showing some promise as the forward ruck option.

A freudian slip. What were I hoping for really? Also, whilst on this thread, can anybody report from training this morning?

A freudian slip. What were I hoping for really? Also, whilst on this thread, can anybody report from training this morning?

Maybe you took Deeoldfart's suggestion of "touching wood" a little too 'literally'?

• Like 2

Clark, Trengove and Gawn back in the main group! Trengove did maybe first half, Clark a bit more then they went behind the far goals. Gawn stayed in main training.

Didn't see Clisby, Kent or Mcdonald but they might have being doing rehab. Bail did running only. Sylvia just some laps. Viney didn't train for long either. No Dawes.

Just doing usual warm ups and drills mainly today. Great to see Mitch Clark up and about. Again I was a bit disappointed by the skill execution especially early. Seems like the players weren't 100% switched on. A group of 6 got taken away at one stage for some tackle training. Sensible stuff with the coach (?tackling coach) being very specific and focussing on watching the feet and then pinning an opponent with your shoulders by bending your back and getting lower. Worked with Dom Barry in particular to point out how much stronger your tackle is if you bend your back and get your shoulder into and opponent and really wrap them up instead of just using your arms!

Clark, Trengove and Gawn back in the main group! Trengove did maybe first half, Clark a bit more then they went behind the far goals. Gawn stayed in main training.

Didn't see Clisby, Kent or Mcdonald but they might have being doing rehab. Bail did running only. Sylvia just some laps. Viney didn't train for long either. No Dawes.

Just doing usual warm ups and drills mainly today. Great to see Mitch Clark up and about. Again I was a bit disappointed by the skill execution especially early. Seems like the players weren't 100% switched on. A group of 6 got taken away at one stage for some tackle training. Sensible stuff with the coach (?tackling coach) being very specific and focussing on watching the feet and then pinning an opponent with your shoulders by bending your back and getting lower. Worked with Dom Barry in particular to point out how much stronger your tackle is if you bend your back and get your shoulder into and opponent and really wrap them up instead of just using your arms!

Good, the work done so far started to show dividends on the weekend. We could at least be up there as the strongest tackling side by end of season and this will translate to wins.

Good, the work done so far started to show dividends on the weekend. We could at least be up there as the strongest tackling side by end of season and this will translate to wins.

Yep, the tackling against PA on Sunday was superb from most players.

• Like 1

I thought Gawn had done his hammy and was out for 4-6?

He's fine - I spoke to him at Family Day, he said he'd play Rd1 but obviously not AFL - said he was ready to go but they are being cautious. Will make a HUGE difference to our team when fit - we really need him up and about.

• Like 1

Max is a big lad and has been out of action for a long time. In addition, he will eventually be called upon to fill the demanding role of a ruckman so he needs to get the right conditioning before he gets thrown into the fray. If it takes an extra couple of weeks before we see him in action then so be it. Players who are 208cm tall don't grow on trees and I reckon he's going to be important for us in the future. Full credit to the club for the way it's handling our injured players and our youngsters.

• Like 6

Sounds like great news all 'round today. I am absolutely thrilled to see Clark and Tregove taking part in the main group, even if it's not yet for a full session. Also great to see Gawn getting back into it, although I would prefer we take it slowly with him. I'd rather get him 100% right now as opposed to pushing him and having to wait another year.

Yes, I was there for most of the morning and a warm one it was too.

Apart from seeing the welcome return of Trengove and Clark, there were a few missing including Bleese.

thought the drills were a bit different too. The concentration seemed to be on running at full speed and foot and hand passing, then they practised after a few minutes doing interchanges also at full pace. Interesting in the light of the debate about the limits on interchange in the future.

They also had the ruckman Gawn, Jamar, and Spencer doing some high marking in competition with one another. I think Maxy is easily the most skilled of those three. He will be great when he returns, but i accept WJ's caution about getting him absolutely right before we throw him in the deep end. I hope we will see him on regular first ruck duties by mid year.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

I thoughtbthecdrills were a bit different too. The concentration seemed to be on running at full speed and foot and hand passing, then they practised after a few minutes doing interchanges also at full pace. Interesting in the light of the debate about the limits on interchange in the future.

Also because of the interchange infringement that cost us a 50m penalty and goal last weekend (I seem to recall ...)??

• Like 1